• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers fire Dave Gettleman - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

Here are a few thoughts I have on Jerry Richardson firing Dave Gettleman. 

This feels a lot like when Richardson fired his own sons and Danny Morrison. No notice, no indications, just one day you wake up and you are packing your box. The official story was they both resigned on the same day, but that isn't what anyone believed. Same goes for Danny Morrison, which was an even bigger head scratcher. Morrison was loved within the franchise by those who reported up to him. Losing him was a hit to morale I believe. 

Bottom line is that it appears to be a gut reaction by Jerry Richardson himself, and that doesn't always pan out so well. 

I keep seeing  speculation that it has to do with how veteran players are being treated in terms of contracts. Honestly, I cannot rule that out. Richardson wants the Carolina Panthers organization to feel like family, he always has. Yes, he is a self made millionaire, but he is a hometown southern gentleman as well. Bringing in a NYC guy with NYC ways of doing things may not have sat with him all to well over the past few seasons. 

Yes, the moves made were probably needed. However, Richardson likely does not care for the way in which they have been dealt with. Am I saying Richardson wants to go back to the ways of Hurney tossing out money to veteran players and mortgaging the future? No. But he likely doesn't care for guys like Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen getting irritated either. Possibly he feels somewhere in the middle is where he wants this franchise to be. 

It is a shame that the Panthers lost Brandon Beane earlier this year, as he would have been the exact mix of business and family that Richardson likely wants. 

Long story short, Hurney was too hot. Gettleman was too cold. Richardson needs a GM that is just right. 

So he made an emotional decision (firing Gettleman now) instead of a logical, thought out one (firing Gettleman before Beane left)

Sounds like a recipe for a disaster 

Cheers, I'm starting drinking now

I think this makes the Beane loss a terrible loss, before I felt that as long as DG was here we would be competitive. Now? I don't know what to think.

I will say I find it hard to believe Rivera wasn't onboard with this, I can't see Jerry firing the GM without feed back from the coach

Agreed. I never cared for the way Gettleman handled situations with multiple veteran players, but the timing of this with the seemingly (at least on the surface) lack of planning and lack of vision toward the future is extremely puzzling and quite frankly alarming. I wouldn't necessarily feel this way if we handle let Beane walk just a couple of months ago. That's the big reason why I feel like this was almost certainly an abrupt decision. I can't imaging us allowing a Beane to get away or Beane choosing to leave if this type of move was potentially looming. Truth be told, I bet Beane broke something and said some choice words when he learned of this news.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Long story short, Hurney was too hot. Gettleman was too cold. Richardson needs a GM that is just right. 

My thinking exactly.

And it could be the reason Gettleman never got a GM position until he was in his 60s.

Oh well, this roster still looks great on paper. Thanks for the memories Gman.

Archived