• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Take my money...

Jeremy Igo

Having grown up in Southern California, I visited the original Disneyland many times as a kid, all the way to Grad Nite in high school, which was held at the "Magic Kingdom." 

From what I've read and heard about the prices at Orlando, I'm glad I don't have kids. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a family of 4 travels from, let's say Charlotte. Spend one day traveling each way and what, 3-4 days inside the park(s)? So you're looking at a full 5-6 day week?  How much do some of you budget for a trip like this?

Travel, hotel, passes, meals, etc... $3-4k? Seriously, just asking... 

If you shop around, especially during the off season you can get packages that include a lot. Last time I went, I got a suite in Old Key West, which provides busses to and from all parks, park hopper passes, included meals and snacks in the parks, and an hour earlier in the park before normal tickets for around $2k including flights from WA. This was just for 2 adults but we were meeting the rest of the family from across the states. Some friends of ours went peak season to Disneyland, stayed outside the park, ate outside the park for 4 days and it cost them close to 8k total. 

On 7/17/2017 at 11:22 AM, Jase said:

I see "stay in a hotel that makes you feel like you're staying on a starship!"

what I read: "Disney wants to build a hotel that cuts out the cost of windows"

Couldn't you just join the Scientologists and live that dream everyday? 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:36 AM, Anybodyhome said:

Having grown up in Southern California, I visited the original Disneyland many times as a kid, all the way to Grad Nite in high school, which was held at the "Magic Kingdom." 

From what I've read and heard about the prices at Orlando, I'm glad I don't have kids. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a family of 4 travels from, let's say Charlotte. Spend one day traveling each way and what, 3-4 days inside the park(s)? So you're looking at a full 5-6 day week?  How much do some of you budget for a trip like this?

We did this exact thing time-wise...somewhere between $1,000 - $1,500.  We didn't stay at any of the resorts and saved our money in a hotel off the property.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:36 AM, Anybodyhome said:

Yeah, it's expensive. I'm taking my family there in a few weeks; we are staying for a week. I found relatively good deals over the normal prices, so keep in mind this is a little less than what others pay:

Flights - $750ish

Lodging - $950

Park Passes (5 day with FP+): $900 

Also a day at SeaWorld, but I'm not sure what my wife paid for that.

This only includes breakfast. I'm still on the hook for snacks, lunch, and dinner. We have about $1200 budgeted for meals, which makes that the most expensive part.

Since I'm not staying at a Disney resort, I'll have to pay for a shuttle from the airport. Everything looks to be in the $100 range for round trip service. I also bought magicbands (free if you stay at a resort). The magicbands aren't necessary, but I don't want to end up sweating right through a paper ticket.

Also, bear in mind you're comparing living locally and visiting to traveling and visiting. For Florida residents, a day pass to any of the WDW parks costs less than a day pass to Carowinds.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:36 AM, Anybodyhome said:

We are a family of 3. I refuse to stay at a Disney hotel. So we stay at a nice hotel at the convention center area away from all the kiddie stuff, our vacations aren't all about my kid. It's everyone's vacation. We do a day at the park and then a day at the hotel working out, enjoying eating and drinking by the pool, lazy river and maybe take in a evening dinner show like a mystery dinner theater. We do 2-3 parks max. I'd say in the end we spend $1400 on hotel and park tickets. And then a good junk more on  pool side drinks and food but that's the most relaxing part of the vacation! 

Archived