• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lawyer Advice Needed

bLACKpANTHER

My wife works as a waitress at the Famous Toastery where they 'tip share'. Her boss has been verbally/physically abusive.
Verbally abusive - Calling her an idiot or b!tch. Just really talking like an asshole to the entire kitchen. Someone on Yelp or something wrote a negative post about the restaurant because they heard a woman staffer "chewing out employees horribly" in the back.
Physically abusive - Slightly shoving her out of the way on numerous occasions

So Sunday - my wife had finally had enough. She was near the end of her shift and she was being talked down to again so she just walked out. Yesterday she went in to get her tips from Sunday but her boss has divided them up between the rest of the staff that was on that day. Furthermore, one of my wife's friends still works there and her boss was saying - "I talk like poo to 'them' so they will quit and I don't have to pay them unemployment."

Wondering if this is worth my time by lawyering up or just eating the $100 loss? It's more about the principal of things than the $100. I make more than enough to deal with that but it just doesn't seem right. Any advice from any legal authorities would be much appreciated.

do they not have an HR dept?

anyway, i feel for your wife. i worked at applebees as a host for less than a year when i got out of high school. i've never worked with a sorrier sack of unprofessional and abusive assholes in that environment.

Could try to file for unemployment.  Would have to have a statement  from the witness of  "I talk like poo to 'them' so they will quit and I don't have to pay them unemployment."

At least she might get a hearing...and the management above the jerk would hear about it.

Your wife should write down all the abusive episodes she can think of...with dates, times, situations...she will need that in her complaint.

I agree with @OneBadCat ... find an opportunity to call him out when the restaurant is at max capacity, embarrass the fug out of him in front of everyone, and walk out with your middle finger in the air and a big verbal "fug you." 

I would also go up to everyone in the restaurant individually and tell them exactly what he told the other waitress and what a piece of poo the dude is (while he's watching) and tell them all to never eat at the restaurant again.

to be honest, that would be an even bigger victory than any sort of monetary compensation you would get filing a lawsuit. 

23 hours ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

I agree with @OneBadCat ... find an opportunity to call him out when the restaurant is at max capacity, embarrass the fug out of him in front of everyone, and walk out with your middle finger in the air and a big verbal "fug you." 

I would also go up to everyone in the restaurant individually and tell them exactly what he told the other waitress and what a piece of poo the dude is (while he's watching) and tell them all to never eat at the restaurant again.

to be honest, that would be an even bigger victory than any sort of monetary compensation you would get filing a lawsuit. 

i would go one further. same scenario, but instead of a middle finger and an FU, just say "your opinions don't matter to me bc i'm from the bay no matter what" and watch the humiliation wash over this guy.

Archived