• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers training camp Q&A

Jeremy Igo

On 7/12/2017 at 7:21 AM, Hotsauce said:

Thanks for creating this.  The last time I went to Wofford was mid-week when Jimmy Clausen and new rookie Cam where " competing" for the starting job.

My kids are 3 and 5 years old. Are there events that they can enjoy?

Are there specific days that are better for young children?

I see practices are usually about 2 hours in the morning. Are there events going on during practice?  What about when practice ends, what other events are going on?

What are some best practices for obtaining autographs?  (For the kids, not me of course)

Your children are too young for Panthers Pals (ages 6-13), but the Academy Sports + Outdoors field is available for open playing -- throwing balls, running around, etc. (Bring your own ball.)

On 7/12/2017 at 2:09 PM, boo7382 said:

Overall, its hot AF. There is barely any shade so like he says, bring an umbrella if you can't stand in the sun. Sunscreen too.

There is no seating, so bring your own. I think they do bleachers for teh kickoff party now- but I don't think they keep them there through the duration of camp. There may be concessions now depending on when you are going (kickoff as opposed to 2 weeks into practice), but overall there is not very much access to food or drink other than what you bring yourself.

Autographs are very hard for adults, its a freaking cluster fug of kids and they stand there like, the entire practice to get a spot for when they come off the field.

Unless you have a friend like Jer, and a football helmet to stand on because the fence is so high you can barely see over it, AND Jeremy directing players your way for autographs- its very very tough to get one as an adult. You are better off showing up at a weekday practice in Charlotte and asking for the autographs.

Anyone else got dat VIP for the kickoff party? I know Riot has a bus of people going down there, but I managed to get a hookup with some suite owners.

Hope to see you all there!

The kickoff party practice is in the football stadium. Permanent "bleachers."

This has a good sampling of what Spartanburg has to offer. Some already have mentioned The Standard at Drayton Lofts (very good) and Ike's (great greasy burgers).This focuses mainly on the central business district, but there's much more beyond that. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about Spartanburg.

A DAY AT PANTHERS TRAINING CAMP 2017

There are plenty of ways to experience Carolina Panthers Training Camp in Spartanburg, S.C. Whether you’ve made the trip all 23 years, or this will be your first time driving through the rolling hills of the Carolinas to Spartanburg, there are still few NFL experiences that can compete with Panthers Training Camp and 24 hours in the Hub City.

7:00 AM Get in the true spirit of training camp and hit some of the area’s fantastic hiking, jogging and cycling trails. Spartanburg was South Carolina’s first Bicycle Friendly Community, and you can rent a bike from one of the city’s five B-Cycle stations if you don’t want to bring your own. And you’ll want to get your fitness goal in, because there’s a lot of great food on today’s itinerary.

8:30 AM Shower up and head over to the fan favorite Krispy Kreme, a stone’s throw from the Wofford campus. Or check out any of a number of other downtown breakfast options, such as new Downtown Deli and Donuts, HenHouse Brunch, The Crepe Factory and Cakehead Bakeshop for a little sweetness for breakfast. If smoothies or juice is more your speed, Health in Hand Juice Bar is a must-visit. While you’re enjoying your first (or second) cup of coffee, check out the news of the day on Panthers.com. Watch yesterday’s practice highlights and trending videos and read up on all the latest developments.

9:00 AM With practice starting in less than 30 minutes most days, you’ll want to get a good viewing spot on the hill before it begins. You can find easy parking and shuttle service on our shuttle map. Make sure to apply your sunscreen, grab your lawn chairs and hats and go hit the merchandise stand to gear up with the newest Panthers swag. Sign up the kids for a chance to be a Panthers Pal for the day at the Academy Kids Field, and then settle in for practice. Take plenty of selfies and tag #PanthersCamp on all of your social media accounts.

11:00 AM Before practice wraps, head over to the autograph zone on the side of Field One to get a prime autograph spot before the rest of the crowd. Remember to bring along a pen or sharpie and your football, training camp guide or fan apparel to ask for an autograph!

NOON Now that practice is over, your stomach soon will be roaring like a Panther for a great lunch, and you can find it nearby at Wade’s Restaurant, or in downtown Spartanburg. And the options are impressive. Several spots offer your favorite pub/sports bar food: from pizza and wings to sandwiches and salads. But downtown Spartanburg also boasts great Italian, sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, fresh small-plate fare, and even poke’. While you’re deciding, you can check out the Spartanburg Music Trail – use your smartphone to guide you through musical stops with Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, the Marshall Tucker Band and some Amazing Grace. You’ll see lots of public art around, too, including 28 6-foot-tall fiberglass light bulbs painted, sculpted and otherwise altered by 36 local and regional artists in the “Lighten Up Spartanburg!” exhibit.

2:00 PM After lunch, drop by Dottie’s Toffee or Hub City Scoops for some frozen dessert. Don’t forget to pick up a book at the local independent Hub City Bookshop, Then, walk over and play nine holes of free miniature golf at Sparkle City Mini Putt between Main Street and Broad Street. The course features holes inspired by Spartanburg restaurant icons such as the Beacon and Sugar & Spice, nods to the city’s railroad and textile history, its seven colleges, and its status as a bike and arts town. Visit local boutiques specializing in women’s and children’s fashions, children’s toys, hiking and camping clothing and goods, Spartanburg-made souvenirs, a local olive oil shop, and the home of locally made Blue Moon Specialty Foods or satisfy your thirst at Motte & Sons Bootlegging Co. with some Spartanburg-made signature cocktails.

4 PM The city’s cultural district – encompassing four square blocks radiating from the intersection of Main Street and Church Street – contains galleries, live performance venues, theaters, artist studios, museums, arts centers, arts schools and public art pieces. You should also plan to stop in at the Spartanburg Art Museum at the Chapman Cultural Center on St. John Street, where the exhibits are constantly changing. Or take in the new art gallery and art museum in the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts on Wofford’s campus. Featured this summer is an exhibit of paintings by Sir Winston Churchill.

6:30 PM Venture back downtown to sample the evening fare – Cribbs’ Kitchen for gourmet burgers and specialty items (and home to one of South Carolina’s Chef Ambassadors); Renato’s for authentic Italian; Delaney’s for Irish fare and beer; Lime Leaf for Thai and other Asian offerings; Lemongrass Kitchen for authentic Vietnamese; or Miyako for sushi.

7:30 PM There’s plenty to do downtown as the day comes to a close. Live music on Morgan Square or head to The Peddler for a diverse array of local musicians. Check out RJ Rockers Brewery, with a range of microbrew choices and frequent live music shows Wednesday through Saturday. Live music can be found in a variety of other venues downtown as well. Feeling in the mood yourself? There are also karaoke and open mic nights at Main Street Pub and Brickhouse Pizzeria & Grill. If you like special events, games and music along with an adult beverage and great food, try Growler Haus or Hub City Tap House: Home of Ciclops Cyderi & Brewery. After a full day, sleep soundly at one of our Spartanburg hotels, B&Bs or Inns and get ready to explore even more when practice starts the next day!

For more fun ideas and trip information, go to VisitSpartanburg.com or the Visitor’s Center located on 105 N. Pine Street, right near Wofford’s campus.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Posted some info this morning for you first timers. Might be helpful. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/07/17/carolina-panthers-training-camp-tips/

I noticed last year that the rookies signed a ton of autographs compared to the veterans (or at least it seemed that way the 2 days I was there. My daughter ended up with Sandland's signature 3 times...and his instagram info. Maybe he should have spent more time working on his blocking/catching and less on hitting on my baby girl).

Considering how excited I am about this years rookie class, I hope that trend continues.

15 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

I noticed last year that the rookies signed a ton of autographs compared to the veterans (or at least it seemed that way the 2 days I was there. My daughter ended up with Sandland's signature 3 times...and his instagram info. Maybe he should have spent more time working on his blocking/catching and less on hitting on my baby girl).

Considering how excited I am about this years rookie class, I hope that trend continues.

CMC looks like another guy that will sign a ton. Took time at minicamp and OTAs. Just a matter of the coaches giving him time. He has a lot to catch up on. 

TRAFFIC INFORMATION: Note that there is construction work along I-85 - affecting both northbound and southbound traffic - in Spartanburg County. You may want to consider getting on Business I-85. (We have asked SCDOT to include directional signage to training camp; we are awaiting word on whether they will do that.)

NB -- right lane closed between MM 69 and MM 77

SB -- left lane closed between MM 77 and MM 80

FOR THOSE TRAVELING NORTHBOUND: Drivers will see lanes shift on I-85 north from MM 69 to MM 77. Traffic in the northbound lanes will be shifted over to the southbound lanes, putting cars on the same side of the highway.

Drivers will have two options to make their way through the area: stay on I-85 North or use an express lane to bypass the construction.

Cars on the express lane will not be able to exit the highway for the entire 8-mile stretch.

7 hours ago, Panthers_Lover said:

TRAFFIC INFORMATION: Note that there is construction work along I-85 - affecting both northbound and southbound traffic - in Spartanburg County. You may want to consider getting on Business I-85. (We have asked SCDOT to include directional signage to training camp; we are awaiting word on whether they will do that.)

NB -- right lane closed between MM 69 and MM 77

SB -- left lane closed between MM 77 and MM 80

FOR THOSE TRAVELING NORTHBOUND: Drivers will see lanes shift on I-85 north from MM 69 to MM 77. Traffic in the northbound lanes will be shifted over to the southbound lanes, putting cars on the same side of the highway.

Drivers will have two options to make their way through the area: stay on I-85 North or use an express lane to bypass the construction.

Cars on the express lane will not be able to exit the highway for the entire 8-mile stretch.

I was on SB this afternoon getting on at I585.  I was wondering why the NB traffic was on other side of wall and far NB lane was at a standstill.   Now I know.  Isn't there some work planned on Business 85?  

11 hours ago, faninsc said:

I was on SB this afternoon getting on at I585.  I was wondering why the NB traffic was on other side of wall and far NB lane was at a standstill.   Now I know.  Isn't there some work planned on Business 85?  

There may be, but not current, I don't believe. They did some "beautification" work along there earlier this year - removing old fencing, adding shrubbery and signage, etc.

Archived