• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

EAST: The Race to the Bottom

bLACKpANTHER

After looking at the offseason moves by team in the East - it is obvious that 6 teams are in full on tank-mode or rebuild mode:
Knicks are trying to figure out a way to cut ties with Melo.
Nets just shipped Lopez (only player worth a dime) out West
Orlando is still figuring out the "Process"
Chicago, Indiana and Atlanta are just starting the "Process"

That leaves the remaining 9 team to fight for 8 playoff spots - which brought me to this question:
Who will be the 1 team that doesn't make it to the postseason when almost half the conference isn't trying to win??

The 4 teams that are sure-fire locks for the postseason are Boston, Cleveland, Washington and Toronto. All have maintained their rosters and Boston surely upgraded theirs with the addition of Hayward and Tatum.

So the remaining 5 teams could become the laughing stock of the league: Charlotte, Milwaukee, Detroit, Miami or Detroit. After looking at offseason moves for each of these squads - I have come to my conclusion.

Charlotte:
Added: Howard & MCW
Drafted: Malik Monk
Lost: Sessions, Belinelli, Plumlee

Milwaukee:
Added: Snell
Drafted: DJ Wilson
Lost: Jason Terry, Michael Beasley

Detroit:
Added: Langston Galloway
Drafted: Luke Kennard
Lost: Beno Udrih, Reggie Bullock

Miami:
Added: N/A
Drafted: Bam Adebayo
Lost: Dion Waiters, Chris Bosh, James Johnson, Udonis Haslem

Philadelphia:
Added: JJ Reddick, Amir Johnson, Ben Simmons (will finally play)
Drafted: Fultz
Lost: N/A

After looking at these team moves so far - it looks obvious that Charlotte, Milwaukee and Philadelphia have improved themselves. Seriously, If Philly can stay healthy (big IF, i know) they could really be a tough team to beat down the stretch.
Detroit and Miami have stayed put or gotten worse. So, between the two teams - I think Miami will become the odd team out - unless they somehow get Waiters and another decent FA to sign with them over the next few weeks.

So there you have it - Miami will be the odd team out. I wouldn't be surprised if they too went into tank mode after the Allstar break. Crazy right, half the damn conference is trying and half is just jocking position for seeding. Welcome to the Eastern Conference - The Race to the Bottom!!!

Pretty sound theory. I think Charlotte is a playoff team next season. On paper right now, it seems hard to imagine them not being in given the rest of the conference.

The question is, can they sneak into the top 4? Might be tough. I think the Bucks are on the rise. Toronto has a solid core. They'll be steady. Can Beal and Porter (assuming they match his offer sheet) have the same production as last year? I personally don't think so, but the dropoff won't be huge either.

I like Charlotte as the 6th maybe 5th seed when it's all said and done.

It is virtually impossible for us to not make the playoffs this year.. half the conference has already thrown in the towel.. I hope we can sneak into the Top 4 - if not - nuthin lower than #6.. because 7 and 8 are going to be 1st round exits for sure (vs CLE & BOS).. 3, 4, 5 and 6 will all be good matchups for each other..

my preseason rankings:
1.CLE
2.BOS
3.WAS
4.MIL
5.CHA
6.TOR
7.PHI
8.DET

13 minutes ago, carolina-chuck3 said:

If Washington lose Porter, you gotta drop them down. 

I'm from DC.. it's pretty common knowledge that they were gunna match any offer he got thrown his way.. idiots.. they shuda made him a solid offer under the MAX to try and save some dough

6 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Uhhhh... Waiters is finalizing a deal with Miami.

Jones is leaning towards Miami as well. We didn't add anybody but with Winslow coming back after his injury-plagued sophomore season, we easily have the best defensive squad in the East.

Hahahaha.  Oh God.  Winslow?  Really?  Waiters?  Lord almighty.  Enjoy the eighth or ninth seed.  

Just today I was thinking about who will and will not make the playoffs in the East.  I came up with the same thing as you but also had Miami and Milwaukee in the playoffs.  They may not be the top six, but I am willing to bet money that all six make it.  That leaves us, Philly, and Detroit for two spots.  I like out chances.

Miami is headed down the road to mediocrity city. I don't even think they've got a draft pick next year, so they'll do whatever it takes to make the playoffs. There roster is the definition of mediocre, though, and they won't be making any real noise for awhile. 

ATL is doing what they should've done last year, and that is tank. It's all good though, because they're going to be in prime position to get Porter Jr or Williamson these next two years. 

Charlotte will make the playoffs, but it wouldn't be terrible if they tanked. Won't happen, though, so seeds 4-8, and 1st/2nd rd exit will be in the destiny for quite sometime. 

Washington is screwed if they max Otto Porter. Takes them out of the running of Boogie, and with that super max for Wall coming soon. Talk about cap hell for sometime for them. Playoffs for them, though.

I still think Philly is a year away from playoffs, but even if they make it, they're a few years from making real noise. They're going to be ECF contenders here soon, though. 

Milwaukee reminds me of the old Hornets team of the late 90's/early 2000's. 2nd rd ceiling.

Boston is my finals pick next year. They're about to own the east for a bit.

Cleveland will be back to the ECF next year, and I won't be shocked if they're in the finals next year. No team from the east is beating GS though. They go back to trash after Bron bolts next offseason.

Please explain how Miami is heading for Mediocre City? I don't think y'all paid attention to what they did last season despite the injuries. I guess y'all are gonna learn the hard way. 

Naw, my prediction was made before Waiters came back. I definitely think MIA will be a playoff team now. I dont think the 2nd half of the season was the norm though.. Waiters and Johnson had career years. Now that they get thier $$ - look for them to come back to earth a bit.
I think Charlotte, Milwaukee and Miami could all hop over Washington and/or Toronto into the top 3 or 4 if a few things happen correctly (Dwight resurrection, Jabari Parker staying healthy, Waiters keepin it going). But out of the 3 Milwaukee has the highest ceiling and I could definitely see a Toronto collapse too. Lot's of ?'s in the East that are really meaningless cus it's Lebrons conference.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

9 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Trash talk? Dude, worry about your own squad lol there's a reason why we went 31-11 in the second half of the season.

You're in a Charlotte Hornets subforum.  Dude, there's a reason no one takes your team serious right now.  The Hornets will be better than Miami.  

6 hours ago, Goondal said:

Just today I was thinking about who will and will not make the playoffs in the East.  I came up with the same thing as you but also had Miami and Milwaukee in the playoffs.  They may not be the top six, but I am willing to bet money that all six make it.  That leaves us, Philly, and Detroit for two spots.  I like out chances.

Miami is going to struggle to make the Offs man.  7th-9th seed.  

3 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Naw, my prediction was made before Waiters came back. I definitely think MIA will be a playoff team now. I dont think the 2nd half of the season was the norm though.. Waiters and Johnson had career years. Now that they get thier $$ - look for them to come back to earth a bit.
I think Charlotte, Milwaukee and Miami could all hop over Washington and/or Toronto into the top 3 or 4 if a few things happen correctly (Dwight resurrection, Jabari Parker staying healthy, Waiters keepin it going). But out of the 3 Milwaukee has the highest ceiling and I could definitely see a Toronto collapse too. Lot's of ?'s in the East that are really meaningless cus it's Lebrons conference.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Will you please look at Miami's roster, and reevaluate what you stated.  

6 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Miami is headed down the road to mediocrity city. I don't even think they've got a draft pick next year, so they'll do whatever it takes to make the playoffs. There roster is the definition of mediocre, though, and they won't be making any real noise for awhile. 

ATL is doing what they should've done last year, and that is tank. It's all good though, because they're going to be in prime position to get Porter Jr or Williamson these next two years. 

Charlotte will make the playoffs, but it wouldn't be terrible if they tanked. Won't happen, though, so seeds 4-8, and 1st/2nd rd exit will be in the destiny for quite sometime. 

Washington is screwed if they max Otto Porter. Takes them out of the running of Boogie, and with that super max for Wall coming soon. Talk about cap hell for sometime for them. Playoffs for them, though.

I still think Philly is a year away from playoffs, but even if they make it, they're a few years from making real noise. They're going to be ECF contenders here soon, though. 

Milwaukee reminds me of the old Hornets team of the late 90's/early 2000's. 2nd rd ceiling.

Boston is my finals pick next year. They're about to own the east for a bit.

Cleveland will be back to the ECF next year, and I won't be shocked if they're in the finals next year. No team from the east is beating GS though. They go back to trash after Bron bolts next offseason.

Miami doesn't have a first round pick the next two years to be precise, good sir.  

And yeah, Pat's screwed.  No real free agents in Miami.  It's going to be great to see the downfall of their organization, it's also nice to see the Lakers suck as well.  

I also think you're underestimating the impact Monk could have.  Dude could average 23 ppg on any night.  He's that dynamic of a scorer.  

Archived