• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analysis To End All Cam Debates: Cam Newton - Reviewing His 2016 Season In Greater Detail, And Why It's Not All About Completion Percentage

Saca312

16 hours ago, top dawg said:

The reality is that Cam is not as bad as some say, nor has he proven( as of yet) to be this "precision passer" on short to intermediate throws. I've seen too many balls sail over open receivers' heads at all levels and have seen too much inconsistency with footwork and reads---much less, timing---to label Cam as a precision passer. Come on, dude. Cam, just like everyone else, has a lot of work to do.

Cian Fahey has something to say about "ball sailing over receivers heads":

His arm strength is such that his passes travel through the air faster than anyone else’s, meaning when he misses even slightly it looks more like a wild miss. 

Newton has also spent most of his career playing with limited receivers who create tightened windows while playing behind leaky offensive lines.

And concerning mechanics:

And whether it would negatively affect him in the future:

So yes. I'd say Cam Newton is a damn good passer who was forced to take the equivalent of 3 point shots more so than any other QB in the NFL.

18 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

In other words, if you criticize him, you're a racist. That's BS. Even Tom Brady is not above criticism. What if I proclaim that CMC is off limits because he's a white RB? Would that be right?

well honestly,  I don't criticize Cam because I don't want @TheRed to chastise me.

giphy.gif

Cold harsh truth is a good number of so called Panthers fans don't honestly deserve Cam, or sustained success period for that matter.

People go out of their way to defend Cam because we have fans that continually act as if we should be overly critical of him because he's the QB, even though for the majority of his career here he's been tasked with being our entire offense. If you are looking to address concerns with the team, Cam shouldn't even make the list. He's practically singlehandedly turned this team from Cleveland Browns level of failures to a contender, and took our franchise to a Super Bowl with Ted Ginn Jr as his top wide out.

Honestly I wish these contrarians that pop into every thread about him just to spout off because they want to be edgy would find another team already. Nobody gives a fug about your hot takes. Go watch Jimmy Clausen play QB.

I can see how an offense might not be best suited for the situation and make it difficult for a QB. I can't see how hypothesizing that this could be a factor is proof that he's actually a fantastic passing QB.  There are some conclusions here that take an Olympic long jumper to even get close to jumping to.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Cian Fahey has something to say about "ball sailing over receivers heads":

And concerning mechanics:

And whether it would negatively affect him in the future:

So yes. I'd say Cam Newton is a damn good passer who was forced to take the equivalent of 3 point shots more so than any other QB in the NFL.

Even the Panthers realize that Cam needs to work on his mechanics and be more consistent with having his feet in the proper position. During the summer of 2015, there was an article or two about this very thing. The Panthers specifically focused on helping  Cam to improve in this area (and probably haven't stopped). They want Cam to be the best that he can be, notwithstanding some past success using inconsistent mechanics and at times solely relying on outstanding athleticism.

As for taking the three point shot, Cam is ironically one of the best at it, so it's really not a big problem. 

I think Cam is a good passer that could be great if he'd hone his skills and decision making. 

BTW, I don't think it's a coincidence that he and the team had its best season after working with Cam to focus on his mechanics. And, no, I'm not suggesting that it was the only difference, but it obviously helped. Football is a team sport, and that's why I have consistently harped on Gettleman, Rivera, Shula, and Cam to get their act together.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:39 AM, top dawg said:

I sensed a going-through-the-motions type of attitude that was reflected in his play.

Exactly why he played through an injury for 4 games at the end of the year that ended up needing surgery.

Because ol' Cam was just "going through the motions".

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Exactly why he played through an injury for 4 games at the end of the year that ended up needing surgery.

Because ol' Cam was just "going through the motions".

The point is that he shouldn't have been out there, and it's pretty obvious to me that the results during that time were a reflection of that. 

Those receiver stats and adjusted completion percentage accounting for receiver drops and errors is maddening. Really hoping that McCaffrey , Samuel, Shepard , and Charles Johnson all stay healthy and Jerico Cotchery has some coaching magic that rubs off on them in a good way. If nothing else Funchess and Benjamin should probably stay alot of their summer vacation at Cotchery's house and learn how to consistently catch the ball.

At this point even without playing a game yet McCaffrey looks like our player with the best hands on the team besides Olsen, which is saying something about our WR core if your top two catchers are a TE and RB.

23 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Guys, it isn't like Saca is making excuses for every bad decision or poo throw that Cam made. He's simply illustrating that his abysmal season last year wasn't as bad as advertised. I mean, holy poo, if you guys just want to poo on Cam then watch NFL Live or anything on ESPN. 

They seem to believe that their "IT'S THE QUARTERBACK'S FAULT!" is some kind of deep and heretofore unknown NFL insight, they are mighty proud of it, and they will absolutely refuse any evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

The point is that he shouldn't have been out there, and it's pretty obvious to me that the results during that time were a reflection of that. 

Oh, you are 100% correct that he shouldn't have been out there.

I just don't think that "he was only going through the motions" is an accurate description considering it was his head coach that clearly said one of his primary reasons for keeping him out there was because it was Cam who told him he wanted to keep playing.  I mean, that was one of the reasons a lot of people (like me) were bitching about Rivera when we found out Cam had been hurt and was going to require surgery, right?  In that he was the HEAD COACH and he can make the call to bench the guy for his own good (but didn't)?

All I'm saying is that "Coach, I'm good, pleeeease let me play" is not necessarily equal to "going through the motions".

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

Oh, you are 100% correct that he shouldn't have been out there.

I just don't think that "he was only going through the motions" is an accurate description considering it was his head coach that clearly said one of his primary reasons for keeping him out there was because it was Cam who told him he wanted to keep playing.  I mean, that was one of the reasons a lot of people (like me) were bitching about Rivera when we found out Cam had been hurt and was going to require surgery, right?  In that he was the HEAD COACH and he can make the call to bench the guy for his own good (but didn't)?

All I'm saying is that "Coach, I'm good, pleeeease let me play" is not necessarily equal to "going through the motions".

It's just my opinion, which happens to be the same for several of the starters, and the coaches. I saw the games and the body language. I don't believe that it's pure coincidence that Cam said that he wasn't having fun anymore, and it showed.

Archived