• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analysis To End All Cam Debates: Cam Newton - Reviewing His 2016 Season In Greater Detail, And Why It's Not All About Completion Percentage

Saca312

3 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Guys, it isn't like Saca is making excuses for every bad decision or poo throw that Cam made. He's simply illustrating that his abysmal season last year wasn't as bad as advertised. I mean, holy poo, if you guys just want to poo on Cam then watch NFL Live or anything on ESPN. 

I think most everyone here knows that Cam wasn't as bad as it appeared. And they know that he played behind an injured line, was injured himself and was treated unfairly by officials because of his size and athleticism.  Still the conclusions that he didn't make many bad throws or didn't miss seeing check-offs and didn't struggle seeing defenses and audibelizing are overly optimistic. Cam didn't make excuses nor did he say he shouldn't improve. So why do posters not take his lead and present a more objective view of things? Defenders and critics both make the same mistakes.

You literally copied and paste half of this from a article that came out 2 weeks ago.

Does Cam have Cian Fahey on his payroll?

I saw as much film as you and Cian and Cam played bad especially in the last quarter of the season. There were stretches  when he over threw a wide open Kelvin on multiple occasions. 

I agree Cam was no where close to biggest problem on our offense and he shouldn't be graded on the same scale as other QB's. 

I think Cam is a good QB. If the team plays well around him he gives us a solid chance to win against anyone. I'm happy about that. Adding some faster players should help the offense be more consistent. 2017 should be fun to watch as long as we don't have 50 players get injured. This is the least interesting reply to this thread.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Guys, it isn't like Saca is making excuses for every bad decision or poo throw that Cam made. He's simply illustrating that his abysmal season last year wasn't as bad as advertised. I mean, holy poo, if you guys just want to poo on Cam then watch NFL Live or anything on ESPN. 

Meh. Most everyone here---as well as interested and analytical football types---knows that Cam isn't as bad as some bashers/detractors exclaim, but they also know that he has to take his part of the blame. 

Intimating that people want to poo on Cam because they're exercising varied amounts of objectivity could be seen as belying an agenda, much like those on both sides of the extreme.

Mainly the whole point is to show that what we're about to do in 2017 will only help Cam. What you think of Cam's 2016 season is on you, but signs point he might have a drastic increase in accuracy and play next year.

We finally have the weapons to create a short passsing game with McCaffrey and Samuel. Both are quick, fast guys at the line of scrimmage, so they'll open up something we never had before with all our vertical threats.

Theoretically, we'll have more short passes for the first time ever, positively inflating Cam's completion percentage. We'll also have more checkdowns that are reliable, so he won't have to do everything.

As Cam said, the amount of looks we can produce offensively are endless. QB/RB Cam Newton, RB/WR Christian McCaffrey, WR/RB Curtis Samuel, TE/WR Greg Olsen, Power RB J-Stew, FB Young/Armah, Healthy Big-Body Kelvin Benjamin. Putting the right pieces on the field creates mismatch nightmares everywhere and an endless amount of option football.

Cam has the weapons, and so does Shula. The more I think of it, the more I realize how strapped Shula was with the tooks he had, so I don't blame him too much for not being able to work in more short passes in his scheme.

But facts are 2017 is going to be a lot different, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us dominate on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I never even said that there weren't a small percentage of throws that were on him. I said 'most' of our problems came from our o-line and wide-outs to argue against those that want to ignore that and blame it on Cam's supposed 'inaccuracy.'

Cam's a precision passer that happens to throw a lot of deep balls because his wide receivers are bad in the short game. His completion percentage is bad because he doesn't do the short throws and the fact his wide receivers were lazy/bad in 2016.

None of the stuff gone over are excuses for Cam. They show reality, which a lot of you don't want to accept.

38 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Fair enough, however, I'm still in the majority that our system was never designed to make Cam appear like a precision passer. Our system encourages a vertical game (higher risk throws). Cam's arm strength rivals guys like Cutler and Big Ben. He loves making those tight window passes too. A little too much if I might add. That's why I still blame Cam for some of his faults as a QB. He could be significantly better if he stopped looking for the homerun ball on every down. It's not that I want him to be Bradford or A. Smith (completing 9/10 for 15 yards) but I also don't want him to go 5/10 for 150 yards. 

With that said, I genuinely believe the system we have in place continues to hinder Cam in the sense that it's not challenging him to 'evolve'. Let's face it, Cam got complacent too. He relies on his zip so much. Part of the blame also goes to Shula too for making this offense reliant on Cam's athleticism and arm strength. 

Cam is to blame for multiple issues we faced last season (like forcing to Benjamin and Olsen, not getting rid of the ball, not taking the checkdowns, dogging it before the play whistle is blown) but he is the least of our worries when our OL is healthy and our WRs are motivated as you alluded to. YET, Saca does make a few valid points about what our system is causing as well. 

I hope he does evolve to the new system which is being designed to be more friendly and easier to operate for him. As he changes from an option quarterback to a more pocket passer it will be important for him to not try and do too much. Honestly I expect him to have a very good year.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm about the last guy on earth to play the race card, but the bottom line is that Cam will never be of light enough complexion for some of this fanbase. 

In other words, if you criticize him, you're a racist. That's BS. Even Tom Brady is not above criticism. What if I proclaim that CMC is off limits because he's a white RB? Would that be right?

Can you stop? There are no excuses. Benjamin was in great shape and stated over and over again how ready he was for the new season. Enough. KB sucked like he did in his rookie campaign because of what the article highlighted: he's not disciplined and can't get separation.
All of it starts with Benjamin himself. His attitude and dedication towards the game unimpressive. 

I'm not making excuses for KB. He DID not play very well last year. I imagine it's do to effort because he has all the physical skills to be a dominant wide receiver. With his size and strength, he should be a beast, within the first five yards, off the LOS. He should be ready to use his strength and 35 inch arms to punch DBs in the chest to give himself a little early separation. But whatever, that's another topic.

My only point is it's not fair to state that he gets the majority of his yardage in garbage time. The implication of that statement is that either DBs were giving up easy receptions, that he got his yardage on second/third string DBs, and that's he not really as talented as his numbers suggest.

KB did NOT play to his skill level last year. He had way too many lapses offensively, and he let a 197 lb corner Deebo him for a football at the end of the Chiefs game. But the numbers he compiled didn't come in situations where he was simply padding his stats. I was simply stating that KB's stats weren't compiled during garbage time, because other than the Seahawks game, there wasn't a single game from last season that the Panthers didn't have a chance to win with at least seven to ten minutes left in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I think for the most part, we all feel similar about Cam. I look at this article mainly as evidence that Cam is not an inaccurate passer, because that's the part of Cam's game that everyone (especially the ones outside of our fanbase try to attack). It's always "Instead of Cam worrying about what he's wearing he should be working on his foot work and mechanics so that he can be more accurate", and this is all based off his completion percentage.

Does Cam ever overthrow a receiver? Is he ever off target? Yes. But so is everyone else. For instance, Tom Brady completed 50% of his passes last year against Denver. He threw for 188 yards. And even when the Broncos weren't pressuring him he missed some throws. That's what enough pressure does; it speeds you up even when it's not present. Cam completed 54% of his passes against Denver and threw for 194 yards. He also rushed for 54 yards in that game. One game is a small sample size, I know.

I'm not trying to compare Cam's legacy to Brady's. But I am attempting to point out that all QBs have throws that are off target. No one's perfect. That amazing Julian Edelman catch in the Super Bowl, was all Edelman. None of it was Brady. Edelman had three Falcons in coverage, and Brady threw it short. If Atlanta's secondary was better, they might've had two or three interceptions in that game. Brady gets praised for that throw, but it wasn't accurate.

Cam's issues have to deal with the fact that he doesn't always make the best decisions about who to throw it to. He sometimes takes too long to go through his reads. He doesn't look off the safeties as much as he should. And too often he tries to force a play when it's not there.

Cam didn't play great last year, but he wasn't awful. And he certainly wasn't as bad as his stats suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

I never even said that there weren't a small percentage of throws that were on him. I said 'most' of our problems came from our o-line and wide-outs to argue against those that want to ignore that and blame it on Cam's supposed 'inaccuracy.'

Cam's a precision passer that happens to throw a lot of deep balls because his wide receivers are bad in the short game. His completion percentage is bad because he doesn't do the short throws and the fact his wide receivers were lazy/bad in 2016.

None of the stuff gone over are excuses for Cam. They show reality, which a lot of you don't want to accept.

The reality is that Cam is not as bad as some say, nor has he proven( as of yet) to be this "precision passer" on short to intermediate throws. I've seen too many balls sail over open receivers' heads at all levels and have seen too much inconsistency with footwork and reads---much less, timing---to label Cam as a precision passer. Come on, dude. Cam, just like everyone else, has a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

i like when people with an obvious agenda project that onto the people making sound, reasoned arguments. if you read those articles and came away thinking there was some hidden plan to act as if cam is better than he really is then you need to look inward.

And I like when people  misconstrue what I said adding their own bend and agenda to it. I never said they were trying to make him better than he was or had a hidden agenda.  I said they had a belief that Cam wasnt as bad at others made him out to be and the articles reflected that agenda.  Their agenda isn't hidden at all and is quite obvious.Do I think they were totally objective? No they weren't. Otherwise you present both sides and let the reader make up their own mind rather than present one side of the argument to prove your point. That means by nature you have an agenda or point.of view to begin with. 

Archived