• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analysis To End All Cam Debates: Cam Newton - Reviewing His 2016 Season In Greater Detail, And Why It's Not All About Completion Percentage

Saca312

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It is interesting that Cam Newton is the only QB that can take several unflagged shots to the head and receive criticism for his accuracy all at the same time. 

Those hits were BS. There is no doubt about that, but one has nothing to do with the other. Do you really think that nobody has ever tried to put a kill shot on Tom Brady?

Why did my post disappear? Let me try again.

Cam was bad last year. There is just no way around that. We can argue about the reasons why he was bad, but there is no debating that he had a down season. He made a lot of bad decisions and missed a lot of throws. That's a fact.  Now I happen to believe he is about to have another great season but that is a totally different discussion. He isn't making excuse for last year, so why are we?

3 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Why did my post disappear? Let me try again.

Cam was bad last year. There is just no way around that. We can argue about the reasons why he was bad, but there is no debating that he had a down season. He made a lot of bad decisions and missed a lot of throws. That's a fact.  Now I happen to believe he is about to have another great season but that is a totally different discussion. He isn't making excuse for last year, so why are we?

His film shows a guy who had a good season with a bad cast around him. Of course any QB would say they want to get better, but reality is most of our problems did not fall on Cam.

And when it comes to checking down, he couldn't with a crumbling o-line and wide receivers who aren't quick at the LoS or reliable. This post debunks all of that.

Debate the stats and personnel all you like, but as a longtime football fan and Panthers fan, I go by what I see also. Sure Cam had some built-in reasons for his sub par play, but in my opinion he still didn't even really try and take the lemons and make lemonade. Just like several of the starters, I sensed a going-through-the-motions type of attitude that was reflected in his play. Neither Gettleman, Rivera or Shula helped the situation. The leadership seemed like a deer stuck in headlights. Now, everyone, including Cam, seems to have picked themselves up off of the mat and are ready to rumble.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

His film shows a guy who had a good season with a bad cast around him. Of course any QB would say they want to get better, but reality is most of our problems did not fall on Cam.

And when it comes to checking down, he couldn't with a crumbling o-line and wide receivers who aren't quick at the LoS or reliable. This post debunks all of that.

That "film" is nothing but cherry picked plays that help your argument. I hate to keep arguing with you because I like these posts, but in this case you're just trying too hard and you're ignoring all the bad plays. Cam had a bad season. That's a fact. That doesn't mean I don't like him or that he won't have a good season this year. In fact, I believe he will have a great season, but that's besides the point.

28 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

That "film" is nothing but cherry picked plays that help your argument. I hate to keep arguing with you because I like these posts, but in this case you're just trying too hard and you're ignoring all the bad plays. Cam had a bad season. That's a fact. That doesn't mean I don't like him or that he won't have a good season this year. In fact, I believe he will have a great season, but that's besides the point.

That isn't cherry picking. This is analysis coming from 2 guys who watched every throw Cam and every NFL QB made and drawing their conclusions with examples based upon that.

They aren't ignoring the bad plays because there barely were any bad ones made by Cam. You get it yet?

Edit: Make that four guys when you include Matt Harmon and Scott Leedy/marxistpanther.

2 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

That isn't cherry picking. This is analysis coming from 2 guys who watched every throw Cam and every NFL QB made and drawing their conclusions with examples based upon that.

They aren't ignoring the bad plays because there barely were any bad ones made by Cam. You get it yet?

They watch the plays but both appeared to have an agenda going in which is that Cam wasn't as bad as he looked. Similar to what you are doing. We tend to find what we are looking for. Sure it wasn't all on Cam and there were lots of other factors that influenced his performance including a few outside of his control like injuries. But to deny he played poorly at times and was shell shocked which contributed to his poor decision making and playcalling/audibelizing is naive at best. Plus separation is vertical as well as horizontal.  Something that makes KB special.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

They watch the plays but both appeared to have an agenda going in which is that Cam wasn't as bad as he looked. Similar to what you are doing. We tend to find what we are looking for. Sure it wasn't all on Cam and there were lots of other factors that influenced his performance including a few outside of his control like injuries. But to deny he played poorly at times and was shell shocked which contributed to his poor decision making and playcalling/audibelizing is naive at best. Plus separation is vertical as well as horizontal.  Something that makes KB special.

I'd say it's fair that Cam shouldn't have tried to inflate KB and Olsen's targets and spread around more, but simply put he was the least of the Panther's offense problems.

They view each QB for what they are. They don't attempt to bring up a narrative that doesn't exist. Otherwise, they wouldn't have cataloged every QB in the league in their respective pieces of analyzing each and every one.

Reality is Cam was better than what's the main perception around the NFL, and his film speaks that. Those that have actually watched Cam's every throw have agreed. I could point out more analysts that have watched film that agree if you want me to.

19 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Edit: Make that four guys when you include Matt Harmon and Scott Leedy/marxistpanther.

So are you telling me that I won't be able to find articles and/or plays that dispute your post? 

Seems like what is being said is that if you do find find a contradictory message it likely won't have the amount of research provided by this more complimentary information that has been provided from multiple sources. 

It amazes me how some of you look past what happened last year, did Cam have a bad year yes, however the things that allowed an MVP season in 15' fell apart around him, then you factor in a partial tear in the shoulder and what do you expect. 

Defense regressed, OL fell to shambles, no run game, the combination of Funchess & KB who I like proved to be redundant, also I think the loss of Cotchery played a role as we no longer had a possession slot receiver. 

29 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I'd say it's fair that Cam shouldn't have tried to inflate KB and Olsen's targets and spread around more, but simply put he was the least of the Panther's offense problems.

They view each QB for what they are. They don't attempt to bring up a narrative that doesn't exist. Otherwise, they wouldn't have cataloged every QB in the league in their respective pieces of analyzing each and every one.

Reality is Cam was better than what's the main perception around the NFL, and his film speaks that. Those that have actually watched Cam's every throw have agreed. I could point out more analysts that have watched film that agree if you want me to.

I would agree that Cam has more talent than his performance in 2016. You don't go from MVP to bottom of the list in one year without a lot going wrong. Honestly it was the perfect storm and we were still 18 points from 12-4.  I think most fans who have watched the good and bad CAM knows that. I think the groups that blame or try to exonerate Cam make the same mistakes. They look for people or things to blame without acknowledging football is a team sport and everyone from Gettleman on down had a stake in our poor 2016.

6 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Guys, it isn't like Saca is making excuses for every bad decision or poo throw that Cam made. He's simply illustrating that his abysmal season last year wasn't as bad as advertised. I mean, holy poo, if you guys just want to poo on Cam then watch NFL Live or anything on ESPN. 

If he's not making excuses, then why not show both sides of the argument? It's not all Cam, but it's not all Shula either. There are most definitely times when we had a good play call on and Cam either missed the throw or made a bad decision. Then there is the idea that Cam can audible out of bad plays if he chooses. Can he or can't he? You can't blame it all on Shula if the QB also has some input on the play calling. Either way, to claim that Cam didn't have a bad year, personally, is just not being honest.

Archived