• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I am going to try to start following the Hornets more

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I am going to start following them more this season. 

What do I need to know about the current players? 

Thanks in advance. 

I'll keep it simple.  MKG is the Kelvin Benjamin of the Hornets.  MKG is suppose to be a great defender, and he's just average.  Kelvin Benjamin is suppose to be a great receiver, and he's just average.  

Kemba Walker is the Hornets version of Cam.  He's great, but also overrated to an extent.  Monk is actually going to be good.  So, I can't compare him to McCaffrey.  We don't know if McCaffrey will be good.  Anyway, Batum is Kawan Short to an extent.  Has had one good year, and a ton of average years.  Marvin Williams is Kurt Coleman, Hell of a year two years ago, bunch of awfulness besides that.  Cody Zeller is a Center version of Star.  Consistent, okay, but never a Pro Bowler or All-Star.  

They will start off great the first 2 weeks of the season by leveraging hustle and defense. Then they will start to get tired and hover around .500 (Offensive additions my help this). You start to realize Kemba simply can not carry this team game in/out. You will get to know players through post game interviews and learn that these guys all have a lot of heart and want to win in Charlotte.

Sometimes I just like to listen to Stephanie and Dell discuss basketball, but then that other guy keeps chiming in with play-by-plays or some poo.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

The biggest thing from last year is once they went to their bench, they sucked. If we trot out a lineup of Kemba, Batum, MKG, Frank and Dwight, then have Zeller, Monk, Marvin, Lamb and a soon to be backup PG off the bench, that isn't that bad. With some teams that will fall off this year that were in the playoffs last year, I can see us fighting for TOR for the 4th spot (CLE, BOS, WASH top 3 lock IMO). 

TBH I haven't felt this good about the team in quite some time. If Monk can be that legit second scorer and Dwight can get back to his old ways (to some degree), we're gonna be ok..

I think... I hope... 

14 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I am going to start following them more this season. 

What do I need to know about the current players? 

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome. Kemba is good, MKG keeps making you say; "maybe next year he will pan out",Batum is solid and we got Dwight..yay. 

Jeremy it's an absolute great time to join the bandwagon. In my opinion Monk has superstar power unlike any hornet we've EVER had before- even Baron Davis. He's the perfect player for the modern NBA. 

Anyone that can drop 47 points against the best team in the country in college on the national stage is someone you want on your team. 

I'm not exaggerating when I say I think he could be the best player from this draft. 

Kemba is an allstar caliber guard that is like the child who ended up becoming a very successful buisness man despite a terrible childhood, see: the Bobcats. 

MKG is a great person and defender, just really wish his shot would come around. 

Batum has been great for the city and is also a stud, recently locked up in a new contract. 

Zeller is a solid player and on a good deal. 

Don't expect anything from Dwight and you should be happy. 

Frank....ugh don't get me started on him. Big year for him. 

Kemba is the heart and soul. A score first PG that has great handles. One of the best clutch shot guys in the league. That Paul George commercial we saw over and over again during the playoffs could have been more accurate if you replace him with Kemba.

Batum is actually our facilitator but can drain the 3 ball pretty well. He is naturally a SF but plays SG because our Front Office seems to think MKG is a starter at SF.

MKG is an ALL-hustle type player, glue guy that every team needs. But you just don't use the #2 overall pick in the draft on that type of player. He plays good D - one of the only handful of players in the league that can handle the LeBrons, Paul Georges and Melos and it not be a one-sided mismatch. The only problem is he has no-shot, like NON. In todays NBA you need shooters. He stands in the corner on offense. However, he is great finisher at the rim and rebounder - like I said - All hustle. But that is better suited coming off the bench. But that's a tough pill to swallow to have your #2 overall pick come off the bench.

Marvin Williams is great human and vet presence in the locker room that plays good D and can actually shoot the 3 pretty well. He averaged career numbers 2 years ago and we gave him a huge contract that looks bad now that he came back down to earth.

Dwight will be Dwight. Hopefully from his Orlando days, but I'll take the Houston Dwight too.

Monk will be so much fun to see. If he has any ability and star power - I say slide him into starting SG and put Batum at the SF position. Bring MKG off the bench or trade him.

Zeller is athletic for a 7 footer but not the stretch 4 you need today - so he plays down low - cleans up the messes. Basically a bigger MKG.

Frank is the prototypical stretch 4 in todays game. He just needs to become more consistent. If he can take one more step and hit the 3 ball at .375% or better - look out. His post moves are pretty solid.

Lamb is hot or cold. The "heat check" guy off the bench.

------------------------------------------------------------

To wrap it up - Team needs a backup PG that can run the 2nd unit and a upgrade at the SG/SF position. The 1,000 lbs gorilla in the room is MKG - we have to move on or move him to the bench, plain and simple. Coach Clifford is probably the best coach we have ever had as a franchise since before the Bobcat days. There is a lot of bright spots on the roster to look at. A month ago it was dreadful - but the Howard trade improved a MASSIVE problem - ie. Plumlee.

Welcome to the Hornets!! Where 'mediocre' is acceptable and hope is always in the air.

33 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Jeremy it's an absolute great time to join the bandwagon. In my opinion Monk has superstar power unlike any hornet we've EVER had before- even Baron Davis. He's the perfect player for the modern NBA. 

Anyone that can drop 47 points against the best team in the country in college on the national stage is someone you want on your team. 

I'm not exaggerating when I say I think he could be the best player from this draft. 

Kemba is an allstar caliber guard that is like the child who ended up becoming a very successful buisness man despite a terrible childhood, see: the Bobcats. 

MKG is a great person and defender, just really wish his shot would come around. 

Batum has been great for the city and is also a stud, recently locked up in a new contract. 

Zeller is a solid player and on a good deal. 

Don't expect anything from Dwight and you should be happy. 

Frank....ugh don't get me started on him. Big year for him. 

I would have been equally excited to have drafted Monk, even IF we had the #1 pick so to get him at 11 is about as big of a miracle as being able to trade Bumlee and his contract. I havent been this excited since drafting LJ.

Archived