• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen doesn't rule out "holding out" of training camp

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I completely disagree. It may be a negotiation point for an extension to lower the cap hit but there is no chance we cut Greg Olsen before 2018 because the dead cap is lower. Everyone's dead cap space is low in the last year of their contract.

He's got 2 years left.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Aging players get cut all the time.  I'm not saying that we would cut Greg, but it's not that big of a deal cap wise if we do.  That's what he's looking at.

Also, I don't think that he holds out of TC.

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

They do when their cap numbers are larger than their worth. It costs us $6M more than his 2018 dead cap number to keep Olsen in 2018. He's not going to get cut and he knows it and we know it. I knew CJ would get released, I know that Olsen will not. After 2017, he's still going to be a valuable part of our core. Saying it's basically a one year deal means we would likely cut him. I'm saying there's no chance we do so it's a two year deal.

I have learned to never say never in the NFL.

What if we stink up the joint this season, Ron and co. get fired, Greg gets hurt with a career threatening or ending injury?  

Again, not saying that we would, but we certainly COULD cut him.  Also, I'm not advocating a hold out, never have, never will, but I understand it from his and his agents perspective.

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

They do when their cap numbers are larger than their worth. It costs us $6M more than his 2018 dead cap number to keep Olsen in 2018. He's not going to get cut and he knows it and we know it. I knew CJ would get released, I know that Olsen will not. After 2017, he's still going to be a valuable part of our core. Saying it's basically a one year deal means we would likely cut him. I'm saying there's no chance we do so it's a two year deal.

Also, Greg is counting 20M against the cap over the next two...that's a big amount for a TE, even as great as he is.  This year he has a bit of leverage.

Important piece of the passing and now running game.

High cap number, and we are trying to free up space to sign the G's.

Extremely healthy past.

He's just leaning on DG to extend him, and I think that we likely do....although it's not imperative.

Gregs always healthy, is more valuable than any other tightend based on that alone. People say Gronk but that dudes always hurt.

Greg had several 1000 yard seasons with us and gives us both a calm vet plus gives us a chance to win every game,...

Pay the man,... I'm with Greg on this one.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:48 PM, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

Honestly, my instincts are telling me that Olsen has played his last great season as a pro, but it might not hurt to keep him around to train up a young TE like Kelvin.

if that happens it wont be because of his talent level...it would be because an emphasis on other receivers...but in the end I say he has at least 3 good years left if he wants to do it... good yrs meaning at a high level for him ...

5 hours ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

I hope you're right...I've never really liked Olsen's "thug" mentality (covered up by the whole veneer these days) but he's one of the smartest runners I've ever watched. I've used his tape as a teaching sample on a few points of technique. (Also just love to watch him play.)

What the hell??? Hahahahaha!!!!!!

6 hours ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

I hope you're right...I've never really liked Olsen's "thug" mentality (covered up by the whole veneer these days) but he's one of the smartest runners I've ever watched. I've used his tape as a teaching sample on a few points of technique. (Also just love to watch him play.)

tenor.gif

Cocaine is a helluva drug...

Archived