• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen doesn't rule out "holding out" of training camp

Jeremy Igo

If Greg wants to negotiate through the media, he needs to ask Smitty and Norman how that worked out. It seems that Gman don't take too kindly to that.

But, by the way, regardless of the click bait thread title, he basically dodged the question and also didn't rule out staring a low-impact break dancing career either.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

2 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I've read JOAT's comment's a couple of times and they appear fair regardless if you agree or not. Seems you want to bait him to a Tinderbox type thread and not sure why?

yeah i know, it's probably an undue derailing. 

but seriously i've been reading the huddle's collective response to football news every day for nearly a decade and the response is always, without fail, "fug that player, if you hold out ur a little bitch. don't be so greedy, you're making more than most people make in ten years." etc. this is honestly the first time i can remember a positive response, and suddenly people who jerk off to NFL ownership literally any time collective bargaining is a topic are mysteriously loose lipped and frisky about how pro player they are. 

.......but even then i wouldn't have said anything if the poster was anyone other than JOAT, who is on record salivating over the thought of mowing down black protestors with his truck and goes on other teams' message boards to rant about what his state is allowing them there queers to get away with. he's a blight on this great state and i couldn't help but single out the irony of this guy in particular hooting about this particular topic in this particular way.

but i'm done now. carry on

Look at this from Greg's viewpoint:

1. We did not draft or bring in a TE (many of us, including me, thought the team might bring in a young TE) Greg knows we have few options at this point.

2. Greg is about to retire (2-3 years) and his stock will never be higher.  He has led the team in receiving for a few years.

3. He knows there is cap room.  Gettlemen wants to carry  that over to re-sign 3 hog mollies for 2018; Olsen wants it now.)

I think the Panthers lack of movement at TE has Olsen in a great negotiating position.

Now let's take a look at the Panther's position:

His quote about business and productivity could backfire on him. Businesses sign contracts for future services.  People sign them every day and honor them.  I may sign a long-term contract for less than I am worth, but in turn, I get security.  If you think you are worth more, don't sign.  I think the problem is the transparency over salaries.  If you know what Jacob Tamme made last year because his agent worked out a great deal, you can use that to negotiate a new deal for Olsen if you compare the numbers.  However, Tamme may have underperformed his deal, and it is erroneous to assume the performance of others based on their contracts is fair market value.  What they offer and what you take is fair market value. If Olsen wants a deal based on his productivity, remove his guaranteed money and make it incentive based. Take away the guarantees and make it possible for him to earn $10m--or $2m, depending on his productivity.  I am sure that he wants the security of the current deal and the Panthers to assume all risk. 

Do you think the Raiders did not think that Jamarcus Russell's deal should equal productivity?  It is a gamble for both sides--a 4-5 year contract is security.  Guaranteed money you take for a promise to perform at your highest level for the length of the contract.  Olsen is not giving money back if he has a bad year, I assure you.  Contracts are not rewards, they only concern themselves with the now and the future. So where you ranked last year and the year before that---that simply means the Panthers made a wise investment in Greg Olsen.  I mean, if I invest in Cisco stock, buying it at $40 per share because it is expected to rise to $50 per share and it ends the year at $60, Cisco does not come to me and say, "We should have charged you more when you bought our shares--can we have an additional $8 per share?" THAT is business .

Olsen should blame himself if he signed a lower deal than he is worth.  If he did not believe he was worth more then, why should the Panthers pay more now?  The Panthers paid him fair market value and he accepted the offer.

I think it is bad practice to start paying people who outperform their contracts

6 hours ago, PhillyB said:

but seriously i've been reading the huddle's collective response to football news every day for nearly a decade and the response is always, without fail, "fug that player, if you hold out ur a little bitch. don't be so greedy, you're making more than most people make in ten years." etc. this is honestly the first time i can remember a positive response, and suddenly people who jerk off to NFL ownership literally any time collective bargaining is a topic are mysteriously loose lipped and frisky about how pro player they are. 

.......but even then i wouldn't have said anything if the poster was anyone other than JOAT, who is on record salivating over the thought of mowing down black protestors with his truck and goes on other teams' message boards to rant about what his state is allowing them there queers to get away with. he's a blight on this great state and i couldn't help but single out the irony of this guy in particular hooting about this particular topic in this particular way.

Ahhhh....didn't realize there was a history there. Just couldn't figure out what triggered such a response to that specific post but it makes sense now. 

12 hours ago, PhillyB said:

LOL 

i have never in my life seen this sentiment about greedy showboating black players that should just shut up and be grateful but now the board's conservatives are all over the pay-the-man train. 

hmmmmmmmmnn

Norman had 1 good year, ONE. For him it's smart to try to capitalize on that but I disagree with it. Had it been TD, or Short or Stewart with the production to do it I'd say the same. Race has nothing to do with it despite your obsession with it. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Ahhhh....didn't realize there was a history there. Just couldn't figure out what triggered such a response to that specific post but it makes sense now. 

He's a salty bitch, that's all there is to it. As usual he's grossly misrepresenting what was actually said to fit his narrative, it's just who he is. Typical leftist hypocrite. 

He's a salty bitch, that's all there is to it. As usual he's grossly misrepresenting what was actually said to fit his narrative, it's just who he is. Typical leftist hypocrite. 

You idiot both sides do the same thing the fact that you single out one when you can witness both of both of the sides doing the same things using the same tactics saying the same crap if you believe that either side is different then one another you are simply stupid I'm so tired of hearing this rhetoric that oh my God the left is so horrible and oh my God the right is so evil they both are disgraces and anyone who follows or believes that they are for the people are severely disconnected from what is going on in the world. Goodbye.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

On 6/22/2017 at 7:26 AM, PhillyB said:

So, with colored players even daring to taking over the qb position. Can we officially proclaim TE the last white hope?

If Gettleman thinks waiting until next year is necessary for Olsen's extension, then wait it will be. No amount of action or talk from Olsen will change that. We all know Gettleman is stone-hard when it comes to these things, as he should be.

Olsen deserves more money, but I don't think it'll benefit the team by giving him one this year.

Archived