• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen doesn't rule out "holding out" of training camp

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

If Oher is released on an injury settlement then I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that money transfer to Greg's pocket. 

I don't know how all the cap stuff works, but maybe they can just give him a big one time bonus with Ohers left overs and the remaining cap space this year. I think they did something like that for Brady once. 

39 minutes ago, TwentyTwoMcCaffrey said:

brutal camp? 

yep, by NFL standards.  Carolina has a brutal training camp.  

We still have our players sleeping in dorm beds for weeks plus the Wofford heat/humidity?  It is a rough training camp IMO. 

I think holding out is tacky and not a respectable tactic. I also think contract negotiations should always remain private and respectful. I look at our team and see a clear line between players who do this and those who don't. All the ones who keep it private remain well paid and with the team.

i look at another guy who is old, plays a lot of reps, and even has a rough injury history, TD doesn't do this.

so yeah I lose respect for Greg if he does hold out.

8 minutes ago, Ship said:

I think holding out is tacky and not a respectable tactic. I also think contract negotiations should always remain private and respectful. I look at our team and see a clear line between players who do this and those who don't. All the ones who keep it private remain well paid and with the team.

i look at another guy who is old, plays a lot of reps, and even has a rough injury history, TD doesn't do this.

so yeah I lose respect for Greg if he does hold out.

Holding out is the only real leverage the players have and I think Greg deserves to be paid better than the 7th highest paid TE in the league, so I won't hold it against him. 

10 minutes ago, TwentyTwoMcCaffrey said:

Dorms and heat, maybe. 

But i would assume even the browns camp is brutal

conditions in which he have ours (location plus temp) is brutal by NFL standards.  I think we may be 1 of 3 teams that go to a college?  Can't remember.  Most guys sleep in their own beds or have a nice hotel room.  Plus, the Wofford heat is intense. 

as far as hitting, I think Fox reportedly had the toughest of recent Panther coaches.  I recall players said they hit the most under him. 

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

He doesn't have multiple years left.  He essentially has 1.

So you never want to sign players to extensions?

He has 2 full seasons left, this year and next.

I'm not against extensions, I'm against giving players more money in the middle of their contract. If he wants to sign an extension and add a year or two and get a nice signing bonus, more power to him, but I'm not a fan of players complaining about not making enough millions on a contract that they themselves agreed was fair not a couple years earlier.

1 minute ago, pantherphan96 said:

He has 2 full seasons left, this year and next.

I'm not against extensions, I'm against giving players more money in the middle of their contract. If he wants to sign an extension and add a year or two and get a nice signing bonus, more power to him, but I'm not a fan of players complaining about not making enough millions on a contract that they themselves agreed was fair not a couple years earlier.

In reality, this is the last year on Greg's deal.  We cut him, and it only costs us 3M after this season, make it a June 1, and it's 1.5M over the next 2 seasons....not enough to keep him around if he get's hurt this season.

He doesn't want to play, on what in reality is a 1 year deal, with no future guaranteed money.

P.S. I'm not a fan either, but this is the reality of the NFL.

5 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

As long as he starts week 1 I'm not even mad . Which TEs are better than Greg? Maybe Gronk but you could argue Olsen is more valuable because he stays healthy. Tier 1 TEs should all be paid pretty well, I think that includes Olsen , Gronkowski, Witten, Kelse 

With the lack of WR talent on our roster in recent years he's pretty much our TE1 and WR1 

Which begs why didn't we build the depth behind him for his future replacement like we did with TD & Shaq

Archived