• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen doesn't rule out "holding out" of training camp

Jeremy Igo

18 minutes ago, Bogart said:

I would have to hear it myself.  I just can't believe the he would hold out for more money.  I don't think Dave would put him in that position in the first place.  Didn't he just get a new contract a year or two ago?  Something just ain't right here.

Elder statesman - Check

Family to take care of - Check

Has earned every penny and then some - check

Hell, I would not blame him for holding out in all honesty. He needs to be paid. We know for a fact he is not the type of guy to sign a contract and then slack off. It will only motivate him more. 

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Josh had one good season. 

Not quite the same comparison, no?

There's enough similarities to warrant a question though.    I am just wondering if the same people that get mad at "greedy athletes that already have a contract" come in here like they did against Norman and other players as well.     I don't blame anyone for getting as much money as they can in the NFL though.  

It's a business and he knows his worth. As someone who has been one of the best in the NFL for several years I can't blame him. We don't know what's gone on behind closed doors already, either. Honestly, his missing TC may be a good thing if it comes to that. He doesn't need the reps, Cam is forced to look at other options and we keep Greg a little more rested. 

17 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

So is he going to get the same shade thrown at him as Norman did?

norman had one breakout season and was looking for a massive payout. Greg has had 5 really good seasons in a row and the last 3 seasons were all over 1000 yrds receiving , so no.

Honestly, this is probably going to be Olsen's last contract. Timewise he is probably on the downslope of his career, skills and capabilities-wise he is still at the top of his game. He's been through the lean times with us and been to the top of the mountain with us as well. Never a complaint, never a sign of giving up.

I think, if you are G-man hearing this (and barring an unspoken injury to Olsen that none of us know about), you'd have to sit Olsen down and say, "How many years do you want to play before retirement? What do you feel is fair for your services?"

Then you pay the guy. This isn't a one season wonder. This isn't the QB's third best option on every play. This isn't a guy who is still trying to reach his peak. This isn't a guy who just got cut loose by another team and is marked as a high dollar free agent.

This is a guy who puts on our uniform, lives the life and produces consistently on and off the field. He scores touchdowns, gets the hard yards and makes a huge, positive impact in the community. Heck, he might even be a Hall of Famer someday. He's that good and he's that important to the team identity.

And guys like Olsen just don't happen very often.

Pay the man.

22 minutes ago, YoungPanthers89 said:

Hope the same people calling OBJ a piece of garbage will do the same in this thread

Not the same at all.  OBJ has two years remaining on his deal, Olsen honestly has 1.  We could cut GO after this season, and only be on the hook for 3M.  He knows this.

Another extension much like the last one is the best play here most likely.

That said, it would be stupid for him to say that he wouldn't hold out...there is no leverage there.  Even the thought of him holding out (weather he would or not is debatable) will nudge DG to get the pencil out.

3 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

They should but they wont even tho its the same premise

First off, I haven't said a word about OBJ and his alleged holdout, but this isn't even close to the same thing.

1:  Olsen is a Panther, OBJ is a Giant.

2:  OBJ has two years left on his contract, one of which is guaranteed for injury.  Olsen has 1 year left.

3:  OBJ is a piece of poo, and should be one of the most hated NFL players by this fanbase.

Archived