• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I believe I believe I believe I'm falling in love - Panthers minicamp day 3 musings

Jeremy Igo

Its too late to turn back now.... I believe I believe I believe I'm falling in love... 

With Jerry Richardson at practice today, they honored him by playing some of his favorite tunes. Cam Newton did some old school dancing.. 

carolina panthers-1-3.jpg

To be totally honest, I enjoyed the music so much more than the usual mix of modern rap and kings of leon. But that is neither here nor there. 

CMC

Not sure if you heard, but Christian McCaffrey was at minicamp today. He seemed a bit nervous at first, and understandably so. He seemed to have developed a friendship with Austin Duke, greeting him and warming up with him early.

McCaffrey lined up as first string slot receiver right away. He also took mainly second string RB reps but also first string as well. It did appear that he is in front of Cameron Artis-Payne and Fozzy Whitaker right from the start. Looking like he is truly the #2 guy on all downs. 

Curtis Samuel

Samuel tweaked his right hamstring again early during passing drills. He tip toed the sideline as he caught a pass and I heard him cringe immediately. He was pretty upset about it. Hopefully he can take the next few weeks to heal up and figure out how to stay that way or he is going to fall far behind very quickly once training camp starts. 

Kelvin on Fire

Something tells me Kelvin Benjamin didn't appreciate all the praise the defense got at his expense yesterday. Early on I noticed an increased focus during drills. You can just tell when KB is giving 100% when you watch him practice enough. He definitely was today. It also showed once team drills began. KB dominated everyone on the defense, a total turn around from yesterday. If he can put that kind of fire in his belly every day he is a pro bowler. 

Punch Thrown

Mose Frazier threw a punch at Luke Kuechly's head today. There is a thread on it in the main forum somewhere. 

Austin Duke

Last man on the field today was Austin Duke. He was catching passes on the jugs machine long after everyone else had headed out. I can't help but pull for the kid. Damiere better watch his back. 

Daeshon Hall 

During minicamp I was not sure Daeshon Hall would make any impact this year. I am now second guessing that. Hall looks very strong in the limited role he can play right now. He is starting to get the best of Moton when just a few weeks ago it was the other way around. This will be an amazing matchup to watch in Spartanburg. 

Thats it for now, let me know if you have any questions. 

1 hour ago, mjligon said:

I think Austin Duke and McCaffrey are living together. 

I got Sources!!!

CMC posted on IG a video where you could tell he was moving into the Vue if you knew anything about uptown. Expensive place for Duke, but would be cool if so. Vue is the place to live for the athletes down here

I still am not sure about this year, but Daeshon Hall was an awesome pick. Go watch Myles Garrett tape, half the time Garrett is lolly gagging around and it's Hall that is hustling. That means something if you have the talent. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Kelvin on Fire

Something tells me Kelvin Benjamin didn't appreciate all the praise the defense got at his expense yesterday. Early on I noticed an increased focus during drills. You can just tell when KB is giving 100% when you watch him practice enough. He definitely was today. It also showed once team drills began. KB dominated everyone on the defense, a total turn around from yesterday. If he can put that kind of fire in his belly every day he is a pro bowler. 

11 hours ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

I'll say this much: if McCaffrey is anywhere near as tough as his dad was, I'm all in. I remember that play that broke his leg when he played for the Broncos.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

His dad took a lot of big hits and made a lot of big 1st down catches. That's mostly what I remember about watching him play. 

I agree with the Byrd watching his back comment. I've just started getting into the analytics side of this sport (not an expert by any means). But all the analytics guys always throw out college production as part of the main factors in future success in the NFL. If you look at Byrd's college stays he was almost non existent while Duke was huge. Yes I know Byrd runs a 4.28 vs. Duke's 4.5 something. I was wondering if one of the true football guys can explain why Byrd was so unproductive in college if he was that special. Bottom line every year I pick and underdog to root for. And I will take Duke this year. Seems to be a very intuative player that could really benefit under the instruction of Cotchery. Who also wasn't a burner. But understood how to find the soft spot of zones.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived