• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well slap my ass and call me Sally - Minicamp day 2 things

Jeremy Igo

Things you need to know from mini camp day 2

James Bradberry currently struggles to put his shoes on. 

carolina panthers-1-2.jpg

... but once they are on, he puts on a clinic. 

Bradberry was the player of the day today, and it wasn't close. But here is the thing... it was against the Panthers best wide receivers and the throws were pretty darn good. Nothing he did today was a "gimme" other than perhaps taking advantage of Funchess falling to the turf. That happened when Bradberry got his first interception with a cast on.

I am sitting over here trying to not get overly excited about the secondary for the Panthers. But you know me, I just cannot help myself sometimes. 

Between Bradberry looking like a pro bowler, Worley looking solid, Captain bringing the aggressiveness and swagger, and Corn already looking better than Sanchez ever has.... Man... I need tempering my enthusiasm. 

Speaking of Corn, he saw quite a bit of time on the outside today. If he and Captain both can prove to be capable of playing on the outside from time to time, watch out. That immediately squashes any depth concerns there. 

It was a pretty lackluster day for the Panthers offense. Kelvin was kept quiet, Funchess even quieter. The Panthers did run the ball quite a bit, and that is nearly impossible for an outsider to judge without any contact or tackling. 

Thomas Davis was especially fired up today and talking to the Panthers offense, even the members not currently on the field. He ran into the tight ends group on the sidelines while covering a receiver. He decided to talk a bit to Greg Olsen. That usually does not get a response, just as it did not today. Olsen isn't much of a talker. He just puts his helmet on when the time comes. 

Luke Kuechly probably had the single most impressive play today. Curtis Samuel managed to get away from him on a crossing route, but Luke was able to jump just high enough to get a finger on the ball, knocking it away. I don't think many middle linebackers in the NFL could do what he did today. 

The best receiver today was probably once again Russell Shepard. You may be tired of hearing his name already, but you may want to get used to it. 

Anywho, thats it for now. Let me know if you have any questions. 

9 minutes ago, 15 said:

giphy.gif 

not sure if secondary is good or receivers are bad....

With no contact allowed the receivers typically have the upper hand at this point. Its not like they are being pressed hard at the line. Might not be a great sign. 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Thomas Davis was especially fired up today and talking to the Panthers offense, even the members not currently on the field. He ran into the tight ends group on the sidelines while covering a receiver. He decided to talk a bit to Greg Olsen. That usually does not get a response, just as it did not today. Olsen isn't much of a talker. He just puts his helmet on when the time comes. 

I imagine this being Greg's response...

9f1886db1c70143ed5b4c221a7cf3a71.gif

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

I'm going with receivers are bad if another team's cast off is the best of the bunch.

I wouldn't call him a cast-off type of player. There was a whole horde of pissed Tampa fans when they saw that the Bucs let him go. They know he's just getting started.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

I wouldn't call him a cast-off type of player. There was a whole horde of pissed Tampa fans when they saw that the Bucs let him go. They know he's just getting starter.

I hope this is true. I think he's prob decent. The other guys though have me worried. 

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I wouldn't call him a cast-off type of player. There was a whole horde of pissed Tampa fans when they saw that the Bucs let him go. They know he's just getting starter.

Agreed.  He's definitely not some older cast off player.  He's about to break out.

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The best receiver today was probably once again Russell Shepard

In what was an aggressive and exciting free agency for the Panthers, the pick up of Shepard may have been near the top.  Loving what I'm hearing / reading about this guy.  There's a short clip of a Shepard interview on Twitter today.  His comments about why he wanted to come to the Panthers are great to hear.  Very excited to see this guy when the pads come on.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I'm going with receivers are bad if another team's cast off is the best of the bunch.

He couldn't even beat out the great Adam Humphries, whose now Tampa's 4th string WR. And 7th option if you include Howard and Brate.

Cam gonna have to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t 

Archived