• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MiniCamp today - What you need to know

Jeremy Igo

I was present at minicamp today. The following is a first hand account. No animals were harmed in the making of this thread. 

1. Interesting development of Dean Marlowe taking reps at corner. Mainly man coverage. If he can prove to be an adequate backup safety and corner, go ahead and etch his roster spot in stone. UPDATE: Apparently he was not playing corner. I saw him follow a receiver along the line and then cover him when the ball was snapped. But, apparently that isn't playing corner. Who knew. 

2. Panthers signed a white receiver. Bad news for Bersin. Kidding. (Kinda)

3. Julius Peppers was present today. He is bigger than I remember him being. I challenged him to an indian leg wrestle. He wisely declined. 

4. Play of the day was by Keyarris Garrett. Garrett made a really pretty one handed catch for a big gainer. Was probably the nicest play I have ever seen from him. 

5. Paid closer attention to Shepard today. The guy looks like such an upgrade over Philly. I think many assume he is a smallish receiver. That isn't the case. He has pretty decent size. 

6. I am so curious to see Daeshon Hall in pads during training camp. He was giving Matt Kalil a run for his money today. But again, hard to say if that means anything without pads on. But hey, its something. 

7. Curtis Samuel didn't practice but did get in a pretty decent workout on the sidelines. He was moving really well. Can't be all that serious of an injury. 

8. Funchess made a couple of really nice grabs today with a pretty bad drop between them. After his drop he was visibly upset with himself as he went to the sideline. 

9. If I had to put money on it, I would say KB, Funch, and Shepard are your main contributing receivers to the offense during week 1.  I have high hopes for Samuel but at this point it looks likely he will be the occasional slot receiver with limited opportunities. 

10. Corn Elder looks good, I mean real good. So much better than Sanchez at this point last year and even today. Bonus: Elder was taking reps at punt return today.

Elder's a fantastic returner. Another reason why picking him was so intriguing.

I truly believe the Panthers will use Samuel more than at first glance. He's just an amazing weapon from what I've seen than just an occasional guy to put in. 

Training Camp is key for Matt Kalil. I mean I'm optimistic about him, but he does have a lot of work to do. 

Very nice to hear about Shepard and Corn. 

Don't know what the think about Kalil vs. Hall. Such is the off-season conundrum, is Player/Unit A looking good or is Player/Unit B looking bad. It causes me a little concern that a mid-round rookie is looking good against our starting LT, but as was said, it may look very different when the pads go on.

Really hoping we find a way to get Samuel on the field early and often. It's time to stop giving Funchess reps by default. I know we signed Shepard as more of a slot, but if he has decent size it might not be a bad idea to give him some work on the outside as well. With Shepard being the vet and Samuel being a rookie, I'd rather it be Shepard who double dips in terms of learning multiple positions if need be. I just want us to put our best WRs on the field. Honestly, Funchess hasn't earned anything in terms of roster position or snaps given his play thus far. I'm not saying to write the guy off, but damn it, make him earn it. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I'm getting excited about Shepherd.  Lot of good comments on him so far.

But again, there's always that guy at this point in the season.

Yeah but usually "that guy" is a rookie. Shepherd is a veteran who is just coming into his own, so I can definitely see him being successful here just like Ginn was.

29 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

I doubt Shepard is above Samuels in the WR pecking order , ppl are overreacting as always @Jeremy Igo I would wait until offense is full strength with Cam & CMC in the line up.

1A Olsen

1B KB

2A Samuels

2B CMC
3A Ross

3B Funchess

4A Shepard

CMC as our "2B" WR (whatever the fug thats supposed to mean)???

Exactly how high are you right now?

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

CMC as our "2B" WR (whatever the fug thats supposed to mean)???

Exactly how high are you right now?

he is going to be the 4th most productive WR on this team. 

I'll use number so you can understand : )  

and I'll put money up on it, how about $50?

1. Olsen

2. KB

3. Samuels

4. CMC

5. Ross

6.  Funchess 

Archived