• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If other sports were covered like Hockey...

bLACKpANTHER

If ESPN analyses hockey - they trot our Barry Melrose and he gives his 'take' on whatever the topic is. He is the only reporter I know off hand.

With the way ESPN is cutting back it's staff - I thought what if the NFL, NBA and other sports only had 1 name/face that would strut out whenever they talked their specific sport. (Essentially this is just an off-season "Who is your favorite specific sports analyst thread?")
My list of analysts is as follows:

NBA - Jalen Rose - I love his commentary and his delivery. He usually doesn't sugar coat anything and keeps it real while staying professional. He Never plays devils advocate and just argues for argument's sake. He has a ton of knowledge of the X & O's but also how the NBA runs behind the scenes.
Honorable mentions: Ryen Russilo & the TNT Crew (Ernie, Kenny, Chuck & Shaq) - HUBIE BROWN!!!

NFL - Marshall Faulk - I just always have valued his opinion on everything football. He can breakdown RBs, defenses and QBs. Some analysts can come in and tell you everything about WRs and CBs but Marshall can give it all to you. I can't rely on anyone on ESPN for football knowledge.
Honorable mentions: Mike Mayok & Michael Strahan

NCAA Basketball - Jay Bilas - He is probably the closest thing to Barry Melrose. They push Bilas out all the time for NCAA hoops, but I get why. He is really good. He never rambles or spits boring cliche' commentary.
Honorable mentions: Jay Williams

NCAA Football - Ryen Russilo - I don't consume college football like most do - but I appreciate it for sure. Russilo knows his college sports - especially football. He kinda is like Jalen where he doesn't do the talked head gimmick of arguing for no reason. He gives it to you straight up.
Honorable mentions: Kirk Herbstreit

MLB - Harold Reynolds - Not a big baseball fan but it get's me through the summer. Enjoy Harold's takes and knowledge of the game.

I seriously could live with 80% of the remaining commentators/analysts to be removed and only get my info from these guys and be happy.

1 minute ago, pantherphan96 said:

Last season was the only one where I didn't watch a non-Panthers SNF game, but before that he honestly wasn't as bad as people like to claim. He has some decent analysis among the dumb soundbites.

Agreed. Collinsworth gets a lot of hate but his preparation for games and the overall job he does is legendary with his peers. Been watching football a long time and I always learn something when he is calling a game. He's not perfect, but I'd take him over most. He knows the nuances of the game and it great at pointing them out. 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Agreed. Collinsworth gets a lot of hate but his preparation for games and the overall job he does is legendary with his peers. Been watching football a long time and I always learn something when he is calling a game. He's not perfect, but I'd take him over most. He knows the nuances of the game and it great at pointing them out. 

I forget exactly which game it was (maybe the 2014 season?) but he noticed a LT limping after a play late in the 4th quarter of a close game and said something about the potential for a blitz from the blindside and a turnover. On the very next play the QB was strip-sacked and that was the game. 

34 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

I forget exactly which game it was (maybe the 2014 season?) but he noticed a LT limping after a play late in the 4th quarter of a close game and said something about the potential for a blitz from the blindside and a turnover. On the very next play the QB was strip-sacked and that was the game. 

That's a great example of what I like about him. He does that a few times a game. 

Archived