• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher posts sobering picture.

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

That is shocking and sad.

Is there a doctor in the house?  What in the world could all those meds be?

There are a number of medications prescribed for individuals post head-injury.  One of the most common is stimulants like ritalin, concerta, methadate, etc.  Dopamine agonists such as Levodopa are often perscribed to patients exhibiting posttraumatic parkinsonisms. He is likely on an SSRI such as Zoloft as depression is common post-injury. Anti-convulsants, such as Phenytoin. intracranial pressure reducers, like Mannitol.  There are also a number of medications used for specific problems, like antispasticity medications (Zanaflex), NMDA receptor antagonists (Nuedexta or Namenda).  He could also have a large number of electrolyte and vitamin specific meds. 

So much could depend on the specifics of his injury.  Without access to his medical file, I can only speculate.  However, regarding what has been released to the public about his specific physical symptoms, it appears his head injury was more complicated than a concussion. The first thing that came to mind for me was a shear injury with micro-hemorrhaging, likely subcortical/cerebellar.  Again, this is complete speculation. 

It should be noted that all of those prescriptions are empty. A number of them may have been used to deal with temporary issues. 

I would absolutely hate to be in a position to sacrifice my lifelong passion for fear of long term health repercussions.  While it may be easy for you or me to say hang up the cleats, I can't imagine this is an easy decision for him.

6 hours ago, ladypanther said:

That is shocking and sad.

Is there a doctor in the house?  What in the world could all those meds be?

med student year 2 no clue because I can't see the names of the drugs, he's almost certainly on something for migraine prophylaxis or to treat acute ones but other than that I can't say. There's no known "cure" for concussions other than time and that's debated, so all of those meds are probably targeting his symptoms. Headache, difficulty sleeping, difficulty concentrating, etc. He's a big guy too he might have high blood pressure, maybe they've got him on something for that to put less stress on his brain. 

That looks like my mother's medicines, and she's 82 with long term COPD and a heart stint. That's genuinely scary for Oher.

My hope would be that most of those are scripts to deal with the short term effects of a head injury and that he'll be getting off most or all of them over time.

I hope he's taken care of his money so that he won't feel financial pressure to continue. I hope that, if he comes back, the doctors have cleared him and told him he's not in danger of permanent damage by continuing to play.

Or reasonable danger, it's a rough game.

Think the NFL should make cap exemptions available to teams whose players are forced to retire because of head injuries. Go a long ways to making them look better when it comes to player safety.

There are a number of medications prescribed for individuals post head-injury.  One of the most common is stimulants like ritalin, concerta, methadate, etc.  Dopamine agonists such as Levodopa are often perscribed to patients exhibiting posttraumatic parkinsonisms. He is likely on an SSRI such as Zoloft as depression is common post-injury. Anti-convulsants, such as Phenytoin. intracranial pressure reducers, like Mannitol.  There are also a number of medications used for specific problems, like antispasticity medications (Zanaflex), NMDA receptor antagonists (Nuedexta or Namenda).  He could also have a large number of electrolyte and vitamin specific meds. 

So much could depend on the specifics of his injury.  Without access to his medical file, I can only speculate.  However, regarding what has been released to the public about his specific physical symptoms, it appears his head injury was more complicated than a concussion. The first thing that came to mind for me was a shear injury with micro-hemorrhaging, likely subcortical/cerebellar.  Again, this is complete speculation. 

Wow I see it's a few familiar names I've been prescribed lols some I'm still taking

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived