• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Favorite Cheap as F-ck Whole Food Plant Based Lunch

Jeremy Igo

Thanks for this and keep the ideas coming.  After reading about your success and reading up on whole foods, plant based diets, I thought I'd give it a try to help my high blood pressure.  I'm just a couple of weeks in and am easing my way, not fully there yet.  One problem I have is that I hate, hate, HATE to cook, so this idea really helps!

I haven't noticed in any of your health threads... but do you have a garden?

You could be eating even cheaper if you started growing your own.

I started a garden this year and when things really start yielding, I won't have to buy much produce for a few months at least.

I realized after being super active for 2 years in CO, I have been consumed by sitting in front of CAD and a commute all day. Since moving to SD, gained some serious lbs over the last year. I was 5'9 165 for the longest time and am now 185. It didn't seem like I gained weight and go to the gym regularly but had a doc appointment and when I saw some recent pics, I was like, poo, yeah I'm eating a lot of red meats, drinking a lot and not exercising properly.

I'm doing liquid lunch/smoothie but being a very lite/non breakfast type, may need to switch to something like this.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:32 PM, PhillyB said:

i don't even fug with the rice or soy sauce. getting in the mental state of feeding my body rather than my taste buds did wonders for me. i pop veggie bags in the microwave and chow down on massive plates of plain broccoli and cauliflower all the time.

now if i could just dump cheese

That was a huge key for me, eating for nutrients rather than for enjoyment. In the process I've found a couple foods I love that I always hated before. A month ago I hated avocado and now I constantly crave them. 

On 6/5/2017 at 9:44 AM, Bronn said:

I haven't noticed in any of your health threads... but do you have a garden?

You could be eating even cheaper if you started growing your own.

I started a garden this year and when things really start yielding, I won't have to buy much produce for a few months at least.

That's my goal, I'd also like to have a few animals down there for food. I have 11 acres that I need to do something with, might as well make it my own personal food source. 

On 6/4/2017 at 10:11 AM, Dex said:

I'm cutting and would like to get to around 180 when all is said and done. I'm 220 right now but still want to build muscle. It's a delicate balance of losing fat and building muscle at the same time that has me at my wits end. Once I've achieved my weight goals I'm sure I'll all but eliminate meat from my diet aside from cheat meals and special occasions. Take in protein purely for maintenance. Problem is my stomach is sensitive and has trouble digesting nuts and beans give me horrible gas. So it's certainly tough for me. But I'm not looking to be a big swole bastard I just want to be muscular and toned and lean. Taking it one day at a time. The last 40 pounds are proving to be tough. Do you drink alcohol?

Anytime you cut you lose muscle. Your body consumes it first because is more nutrient rich. I also struggle with beans so rice and fish are your friends. Also sunflower seeds are high in protein and are easy on the tummy. 

Archived