• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Favorite Cheap as F-ck Whole Food Plant Based Lunch

Jeremy Igo

Wanted to share my new go to lunch on my whole food plant based eating. 

This dish is fuggin delish and fuggin nutrish. 

I go to Teeter in the mornings and snag vegetable steamer bags that are about to expire. They are 2.69 and most times I can find some with 2.00 off coupons. That means a giant bag of veggies for 69 cents. Boom

I could cook brown rice the traditional way and save even more coin, but I love these microwave pouches for convenience. On sale for 1.50

You can use whatever soy sauce you like and however much you like. I don't use much, but if you do consider a low sodium label. 

20170530_111448.jpg

Steam the veggies in the microwave. Steam the rice in the microwave. 

Throw all that ish together in a bowl, add a bit of soy or teriyaki. 

What you have is a HUGE bowl of goodness that will fill you the fug up. This is actually two servings that I usually eat at once because why the fug not. 

PER SERVING:

Cost - $1.10

Calories - 230

Fiber - Crap load

Vitamins - More than you usually get in an entire week

Things that are bad for you - aside from the sodium in the optional soy sauce, absolutely fuggin nothing. 

20170530_112631.jpg

i don't even fug with the rice or soy sauce. getting in the mental state of feeding my body rather than my taste buds did wonders for me. i pop veggie bags in the microwave and chow down on massive plates of plain broccoli and cauliflower all the time.

now if i could just dump cheese

6 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i don't even fug with the rice or soy sauce. getting in the mental state of feeding my body rather than my taste buds did wonders for me. i pop veggie bags in the microwave and chow down on massive plates of plain broccoli and cauliflower all the time.

now if i could just dump cheese

Whole grain brown rice is really good for you. Don't deprive yourself.

Whole brown rice and beans are great complex carbs for you. I dont get into the steamer bugs due to plastic enzymes.

again I ask you, on this plbt based diet what in  the hell is your main sources of protein

4 hours ago, Lumps said:

Whole brown rice and beans are great complex carbs for you. I dont get into the steamer bugs due to plastic enzymes.

again I ask you, on this plbt based diet what in  the hell is your main sources of protein

I don't understand the question. Everything I eat has protein. The foods with the most are probably beans, I make sure to eat some every day. I don't worry about it. I am also as strong as I have ever been while eating a high protein low carb diet and lifting weights. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Why does it matter?

Just to satisfy my own curiosity. Meat bothers my stomach especially red meat but meat/fish still allows me to take in 200g of protein a day to build muscle. I know the average sedentary human only needs around 50g of protein for maintenance and I'm sure that's doable on a plant based diet. I'm just wondering how much you take in. Just ballpark me if you could.

1 minute ago, Dex said:

Just to satisfy my own curiosity. Meat bothers my stomach especially red meat but meat/fish still allows me to take in 200g of protein a day to build muscle. I know the average sedentary human only needs around 50g of protein for maintenance and I'm sure that's doable on a plant based diet. I'm just wondering how much you take in. Just ballpark me if you could.

Really have no idea. If forced to guess I would say 70 or so. There are plant based protein supps I could put in my smoothie but haven't seen the need. I'm not really interested in gaining any more muscle. Lean and flexible is where it's at.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Really have no idea. If forced to guess I would say 70 or so. There are plant based protein supps I could put in my smoothie but haven't seen the need. I'm not really interested in gaining any more muscle. Lean and flexible is where it's at.

I'm cutting and would like to get to around 180 when all is said and done. I'm 220 right now but still want to build muscle. It's a delicate balance of losing fat and building muscle at the same time that has me at my wits end. Once I've achieved my weight goals I'm sure I'll all but eliminate meat from my diet aside from cheat meals and special occasions. Take in protein purely for maintenance. Problem is my stomach is sensitive and has trouble digesting nuts and beans give me horrible gas. So it's certainly tough for me. But I'm not looking to be a big swole bastard I just want to be muscular and toned and lean. Taking it one day at a time. The last 40 pounds are proving to be tough. Do you drink alcohol?

5 minutes ago, Dex said:

I'm cutting and would like to get to around 180 when all is said and done. I'm 220 right now but still want to build muscle. It's a delicate balance of losing fat and building muscle at the same time that has me at my wits end. Once I've achieved my weight goals I'm sure I'll all but eliminate meat from my diet aside from cheat meals and special occasions. Take in protein purely for maintenance. Problem is my stomach is sensitive and has trouble digesting nuts and beans give me horrible gas. So it's certainly tough for me. But I'm not looking to be a big swole bastard I just want to be muscular and toned and lean. Taking it one day at a time. The last 40 pounds are proving to be tough. Do you drink alcohol?

I have a glass of red wine every night.

You get gas not from your stomach but your gut. You don't have enough bean digesting bacteria. I stead of being broken down it ferments and causes gas. Once the gut bactiera that like beans populate the gas goes away. Takes a couple weeks. I had bad gass for 2 weeks when I started this, now hardly any. 

Archived