• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'd be Stew insurance which is exactly how he's been used so far anyway. In the event Stew got hurt he could be elevated to the active roster.

We've been back and forth on this enough times.  I understand that side of it.  I think it's just as likely we look to FA if we started to have concerns about Stewarts availability.   We used CAP like that before we got McCaffrey. 

I'd be fine looking to FA but either way I think we have some form of between the tackles power RB insurance whether it's on the 53 or the PS.

The bottom line is that CAP's per carry production was slightly better than Stew's last season. I just find it odd that so many Panthers fans act like Stew is Adrian Peterson and CAP is pure trash.

I still think CAP doesn't make the 53. I wouldn't mind him being on the PS, and I honestly doubt some team would sign him/get much out of him if they did.

I've been unimpressed. He's had a couple really good opportunities since he's been here, and I have been underwhelmed.

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I still think CAP doesn't make the 53. I wouldn't mind him being on the PS, and I honestly doubt some team would sign him/get much out of him if they did.

I've been unimpressed. He's had a couple really good opportunities since he's been here, and I have been underwhelmed.

To be fair, most 5th round pick backups are underwhelming. That's why they were 5th round picks and why they're backups. Truthfully, our running game pretty much looked about the same whether it was Stew or CAP functioning as the primary ball carrier.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

I absolutely understand the sample size for CAP was small and not very indicative.

But I also understand the sample size for Whittaker is NOT small and he doesn't catch 1 out of every 4 of his targets... not exactly what you would seemingly desire in your "receiving" running back, at least in my opinion.

I am not sure which of the two we should keep, but in 2016, Fozzy had the best target to reception rate on our team of anyone who was targeted more than one time.  

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be fine looking to FA but either way I think we have some form of between the tackles power RB insurance whether it's on the 53 or the PS.

The bottom line is that CAP's per carry production was slightly better than Stew's last season. I just find it odd that so many Panthers fans act like Stew is Adrian Peterson and CAP is pure trash.

For me it's not that stew is AP.   It's the  fact that even with stew not being peak form and at times unavailable CAP has been inactive for most of his career.  If the coaches don't believe in getting him on the field I just don't see it happening.  I've got nothing against the guy.  I honestly hope he can make it somewhere but there is no way I'd understate what fozzy does for this team beyond being a pass catching RB just for CAP

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To be fair, most 5th round pick backups are underwhelming. That's why they were 5th round picks and why they're backups. Truthfully, our running game pretty much looked about the same whether it was Stew or CAP functioning as the primary ball carrier.

I agree that not much is expected of 5th round picks.

But I don't understand how a guy who in the very few opportunities that he has been allowed gives you 4-yds a pop on the ground and catches every one of the few passes you throw to him for more than 10-yds a pop can be classified as "underwhelming".  

I totally understand being irrational and having players to whom you just never warm up.  I have and have had that kind of irrationality with players past and present myself.  But "underwhelming" in CAPs case is just plain inaccurate.

"Adequate" would be the least admirable adjective I would come up for CAPs extremely part-time performance.

14 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

For me it's not that stew is AP.   It's the  fact that even with stew not being peak form and at times unavailable CAP has been inactive for most of his career.  If the coaches don't believe in getting him on the field I just don't see it happening.  I've got nothing against the guy.  I honestly hope he can make it somewhere but there is no way I'd understate what fozzy does for this team beyond being a pass catching RB just for CAP

My guess is that they feel like CAP is basically just a poor man's Stew and if Stew is healthy they're so redundant that there's no reason to have CAP active.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My guess is that they feel like CAP is basically just a poor man's Stew and if Stew is healthy they're so redundant that there's no reason to have CAP active.

They been quoted as saying just that.  My point is.  If they thought he was showing any signs to contributing to the team in his own right than he would have seen more opportunities.   It's not like Stewart has been setting the league a blaze.  To be a poor man's version of that is pretty damn poor.  It seems I'm in a minority of people who anticipate McCaffrey being the feature back, our differing opinion could be more about that, but I see fozzy's all around contributions to the team as more undervalued by fans here than that of CAP handful of active career game performance. 

Just now, ItsPantone278 said:

They been quoted as saying just that.  My point is.  If they thought he was showing any signs to contributing to the team in his own right than he would have seen more opportunities.   It's not like Stewart has been setting the league a blaze.  To be a poor man's version of that is pretty damn poor.  It seems I'm in a minority of people who anticipate McCaffrey being the feature back, our differing opinion could be more about that, but I see fozzy's all around contributions to the team as more undervalued by fans here than that of CAP handful of active career game performance. 

I've said repeatedly that Fozzy was our most effective RB last year.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I've said repeatedly that Fozzy was our most effective RB last year.

I'm not harping on his running ability though.  People think special teams as 3 positions kicker punter returner and ignore the other 9 players on the field.  The absolute biggest difference between he and CAP more lies in the fact that fozzy tackles and blocks on special teams.  You have to have players that can tackle and block and be backups.  If CAP could contribute to that part of the game he'd be a better football player.  

Archived