• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

On 6/2/2017 at 4:29 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I think CMC can be very good for us, but we're definitely not gonna be pounding him between the tackles 15+ times per game like we do with Stew if we're smart.

Pounding isn't really his style, but you can bet that he'll get plenty of play up the middle to see what he can do. He'll try and cut by and slide off of tacklers. If the OL can give him a tiny bit of space he can get to a bigger space in a hurry. 

I haven't looked forward to seeing a new Panthers RB this much since Biakabutuka 20 plus years ago. Hope he holds up better than Timmy did. 

On 6/3/2017 at 8:20 PM, tiger7_88 said:

Fozzy catches 75% of his targets.

CAP catches 100%.

Not to mention that CAPs YPR is higher than Fozzys.

But how often are both used in the passing game?

Fozzy suits where this offense is headed more than CAP does.

LOL! CAP has caught a grand total of 6 passes in his career, only 1 last season. He goes virtually unused as a receiver. Fozzy caught 25 passes last season alone. The sample size is simply way too small for CAP.

Going back to Auburn, 14 catches in two seasons. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

LOL! CAP has caught a grand total of 6 passes in his career, only 1 last season. He goes virtually unused as a receiver. Fozzy caught 25 passes last season alone. The sample size is simply way too small for CAP.

My point, exactly.

Fozzy is more the WCO back that we're more likely to use to compliment Stewart now with the drafting of McCaffrey and Samuel.

CAP is more like JSTEW, in that he's more suited for work between the tackles and in the backfield.

I mean, I could see the argument that CMC and Samuel making Fozzy expendable...

But, if you are going to keep personnel that can supplement each other in our packages, Fozzy covers more of that versatility.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I absolutely understand the sample size for CAP was small and not very indicative.

But I also understand the sample size for Whittaker is NOT small and he doesn't catch 1 out of every 4 of his targets... not exactly what you would seemingly desire in your "receiving" running back, at least in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I absolutely understand the sample size for CAP was small and not very indicative.

But I also understand the sample size for Whittaker is NOT small and he doesn't catch 1 out of every 4 of his targets... not exactly what you would seemingly desire in your "receiving" running back, at least in my opinion.

I think you're just arguing semantics, though.

There were 4 RBs in the top 100 targeted receivers last season.

David Johnson, James White, Devonta Freeman, and LeVeon Bell

Of those 4, only two had better catch rates than Fozzy.

Freeman - 83.1
Bell - 78.2
Fozzy - 75.8
White - 72.9
Johnson - 66.7

Johnson actually had the most targets. He also had the lowest catch rate.

One could then infer that greater targets relate to lower catch rate.

CAP - 1 target, 1 catch LOL
Fozzy - 33 targets, 25 catches
JSTEW - 21 targets, 8 catches (OMG Turrible!) 38.1% Catch Rate

There's a reason Fozzy gets more targets in the pass game. It is because he was our best receiving RB.

CMC will likely take that role now, and Samuel will chip in in some formations, but I don't think that means we'll somehow favor an unimpressive/unproven CAP when he doesn't have the body of receiving work to support his cause that Fozzy does.

3 minutes ago, Bronn said:

FWIW I think CAP is eligible for the Practice Squad this season. He only has two accrued seasons, and none on the PS. I think he is therefore eligible for one year of PS duty still.

That's if we even bother.  If hes cut id think youd rather the guy go to team where he's got a better shot to play.  That said unless he has a decent showing in a preseason game or two the chances he goes unclaimed are pretty good.

8 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

That's if we even bother.  If hes cut id think youd rather the guy go to team where he's got a better shot to play.  That said unless he has a decent showing in a preseason game or two the chances he goes unclaimed are pretty good.

It'd be Stew insurance which is exactly how he's been used so far anyway. In the event Stew got hurt he could be elevated to the active roster.

Archived