• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No way would I consider CAP a lock to make the roster. In fact, I think he may be on the outside looking in at the moment. But, the stats bear out that he was roughly equal to Stew in effectiveness last year.

Stew averaged 3.78ypc and a TD once every 24 carries.

CAP averaged 4ypc and a TD once every 18 carries.

Hell, it may be generous saying that Stew was equal to CAP in effectiveness last year. I think a lot of Panthers fans suffer from nostalgia when looking at Stew. I still think he's a decent RB, but to hear some Panthers fans talk you'd think that the guy was a future HOFer. I feel like most of us (myself and the front office and coaching staff included) have perpetually overvalued Jonathan Stewart.

To be completely fair to both, I think you would be hard pressed to find a RB in the league that wouldn't struggle a bit running behind our OL last year. It was bad, really bad.

14 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

CMC's perfectly fine between the tackles and has the track record to prove it. It's only the people who can't get past his size and skin color who don't seem to get this. The coaches do and have said so multiple times now.

It's Stew, CMC, Fozzy, and then Armah (or a Cam) for short yardage. We're going to be wearing Christian out and he just needs someone to spell him, it doesn't have to be a powerful back.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

This guy gets it.  Look at the Steelers or even the Failcons just to name a few top offenses seeing a lot of success with sub 220lb backs

8 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

This guy gets it.  Look at the Steelers or even the Failcons just to name a few top offenses seeing a lot of success with sub 220lb backs

Sub-220 is one thing, CMC is sub-200. He weighed in at 202 at the Combine and I'm willing to bet that was with his belly full of as much water as he could possibly drink to try to come in 200+.

I think CMC has the vision and agility to successfully run between the tackles in the NFL, but I'm not sure about his durability if we ask him to primarily do that. With that said, I don't think we're going to.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sub-220 is one thing, CMC is sub-200. He weighed in at 202 at the Combine and I'm willing to bet that was with his belly full of as much water as he could possibly drink to try to come in 200+.

I think CMC has the vision and agility to successfully run between the tackles in the NFL, but I'm not sure about his durability if we ask him to primarily do that. With that said, I don't think we're going to.

He's a RB.  He probably plays right at or around 200.  I don't think him being 10lbs heavier would make him any more durable.  You just have to expect the highest draft choice since Cam will be a feature cornerstone franchise level player.  If you trust what DG says one thing he said over and over is McCaffrey can do it all.  If he and Rivera believe that no reason to think it won't be what we see on the field.  When asked how will he be used McCaffrey and Rivera have said on separate occasions the same thing.  We'll use him like he was used at Stanford.

28 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

He's a RB.  He probably plays right at or around 200.  I don't think him being 10lbs heavier would make him any more durable.  You just have to expect the highest draft choice since Cam will be a feature cornerstone franchise level player.  If you trust what DG says one thing he said over and over is McCaffrey can do it all.  If he and Rivera believe that no reason to think it won't be what we see on the field.  When asked how will he be used McCaffrey and Rivera have said on separate occasions the same thing.  We'll use him like he was used at Stanford.

CAP & CMC will make great tandem, CAP has more power and enough spped to be an effective power runner to fill in for J-Stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC3AIXn_47o

What I would like to see is CAP get a good percentage of playing time in TC.  Give Stewart enough to get his legs under him and the rest to CAP.  We have to see what he can do with the starters.  I don't think a whole lot of Reps with the second team is going to prove much.

This serves two good purposes.   Stewart is fresh for game one and two we get to see if CAP is worth keeping.

Seems to me one of his faults was he sucks at picking up blitzes.  That doesn't bode to well for his future especially as a big back.

If he doesn't get those carries how are we really going to know?

37 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

What I would like to see is CAP get a good percentage of playing time in TC.  Give Stewart enough to get his legs under him and the rest to CAP.  We have to see what he can do with the starters.  I don't think a whole lot of Reps with the second team is going to prove much.

This serves two good purposes.   Stewart is fresh for game one and two we get to see if CAP is worth keeping.

Seems to me one of his faults was he sucks at picking up blitzes.  That doesn't bode to well for his future especially as a big back.

If he doesn't get those carries how are we really going to know?

I'd rather see CMC get the carries Stewart does not. 

CAP has had two years to impress the coaching staff. By the looks of things, he hasn't.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'd rather see CMC get the carries Stewart does not. 

CAP has had two years to impress the coaching staff. By the looks of things, he hasn't.

Well I was hoping that we would be using a two back set in which CMC would be in there too.

We don't really give the backups opportunities with the starters during preseason.

It is good for team moral when we win those games but I would rather see what the guy that is going to fill in for a player that might be out a week or two. 

To me this off-season it makes the most since to keep CAP or Foz if it comes down to those two. CAP may be average, but that's as a 1st and 2nd down back which CMC, & Whit are not at this point from a full time perspective. 

CAP is the best option to maintain a physical runner in the event (likely-hood) Stewart has to miss a couple games as he tends to each season. 

I think it's common sense at this point. If we look at Stewart for what he is ''right now'' aside from pass protection there is not '' a lot'' that really separates him from CAP in my opinion, a few years ago it was a bigger gap, but at this point in Stewart's career he's becoming just a power runner, CAP is the closest we have to that. 

Fozzy proved he could provide a spark and when asked, balled out last season.  Even though we have CMC now, I still value him over CAP.    

We could probably stash a guy of CAP's quality on the PS and promote him if need be.  

Archived