• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

No way would I consider CAP a lock to make the roster. In fact, I think he may be on the outside looking in at the moment. But, the stats bear out that he was roughly equal to Stew in effectiveness last year.

Stew averaged 3.78ypc and a TD once every 24 carries.

CAP averaged 4ypc and a TD once every 18 carries.

Hell, it may be generous saying that Stew was equal to CAP in effectiveness last year. I think a lot of Panthers fans suffer from nostalgia when looking at Stew. I still think he's a decent RB, but to hear some Panthers fans talk you'd think that the guy was a future HOFer. I feel like most of us (myself and the front office and coaching staff included) have perpetually overvalued Jonathan Stewart.

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

Didn't he start a game LY?...when he got his chance he didn't show much

Sigh. Wrong when her got a legit chance with legit carries he averaged 4.7 yards and scored two tds in a game we should have won behind his running if DA didn't suck. This whole CAP sucks things is just more Huddle created nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Sigh. Wrong when her got a legit chance with legit carries he averaged 4.7 yards and scored two tds in a game we should have won behind his running if DA didn't suck. This whole CAP sucks things is just more Huddle created nonsense. 

Yeah, most Panthers fans still have full on crushes for Stew and think that CAP is trash. Seems like the coaching staff largely shares this opinion. However, the stats bear out that CAP was at least as effective running the football as Stew was last year. Honestly, he was more effective. If we look at bang for the buck, CAP was the much better value last year. Stew has to be one of the worst value RBs of the past decade. Only one 1000 yard season in his career and that was when he was still under his rookie contract. Ever since we gave him big money, we've never gotten big money production. Now granted, a lot of that is due to injuries, but we knew he was injury prone when we backed up that Brinks truck.

If you actually watch Stewart and how often he had to break 2 or 3 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, some of you would find a new found appreciation for how special he could've been. 

It isn't even close to how much better Stewart is to CAP. How is that even an argument? Stewart's the best blocking runningback in the league and one of the better powerbacks as well. His value is virtually irreplacable.

Thought everyone learned that in the Superbowl and Falcons game of 2015 when Stewart was hurt and our run game was non-existant.

Now as far as Cap, I like him. He's just a good and solid runner who looked like a star in preseason. Decent production for the few looks he was given. Not the best at pass protection, but he fits behind Stewart for the style he runs.

But Fozzy isn't half bad either. As the lead back against the 49ers after Stewart got hurt, I remember him going for like 100+ yards easy. 

It's pretty tough deciding between the two.

I'm gonna make some heads explode, but I'm going with... neither making the roster.

I can see us going with this:

HB1: Stew

HB2: CMC

HB3/WR: Samuel

FB: Armah / Young (I think we keep Armah myself, so he can learn the system and grow with the other young guys)

WR6: Byrd

This would allow us to have a full complement of tailbacks, while freeing up a 6th WR spot that allows us to keep Byrd on the roster, and... you can't coach speed. Neither CAP nor Fozzy are irreplaceable, and we get to keep younger, speedier talent on the team. To me, that's an ideal situation, and I like both guys to be honest. I just think this would be best for us long-term, depending on if CMC is strong enough to carry the load, should Stew go down with another hampering injury.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looks like the topic of Cameron Artis-Payne came up in the roster thread. I feel like it deserves an objective look in its own thread. 

Here is what Cameron Artis-Payne did in 2016. 

Week 3 - 12 attempts - 47 yards

Week 4 - 6 attempts - 12 yards

Week 5 - 18 attempts - 85 yards

The rest of the weeks he was inactive.

He was only ever active when Jonathan Stewart was inactive. 

He was inactive when Stewart was not 100%. 

So, does averaging 12 attempts when Stewart is out mean that CAP is the clear cut starter behind Stewart? 

Do you think CAP should be considered a lock to make the team this year? 

He will make it over Fozzy he is the only power back we would have if J-Stew goes out. 

CMC's perfectly fine between the tackles and has the track record to prove it. It's only the people who can't get past his size and skin color who don't seem to get this. The coaches do and have said so multiple times now.

It's Stew, CMC, Fozzy, and then Armah (or a Cam) for short yardage. We're going to be wearing Christian out and he just needs someone to spell him, it doesn't have to be a power back.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived