• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, csx said:

I think he could be but if they build an offense that relies on having both (stewart and Mccaffery) the field it  would be in CAPs favour. 

In theory, you could slide CMC to Stew's role and move Fozzy to CMC's role. That leaves CAP out.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Is there any reason not to think CMC could be a better between the tackles runner than CAP?

I think he would/could, but as a sofa GM, I am not sure his size is geared for a long career running "between the tackles", returning punts, and catching passes over the middle and in the flat.  You could then argue, "So you are saying he is a third down back?"  No.  However, I am saying it would be ideal if he was not subject to the pounding he would get running between the tackles on a regular basis as a rookie.  When he gets stronger and more familiar with the NFL defenses, maybe?

I feel better about it now that the OL is a bit better and he could have a blocking FB...

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

In theory, you could slide CMC to Stew's role and move Fozzy to CMC's role. That leaves CAP out.

True. I dont have a ton of confidence in CAPs future here but trying to find some logical arguments for the possibility 

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think he would/could, but as a sofa GM, I am not sure his size is geared for a long career running "between the tackles", returning punts, and catching passes over the middle and in the flat.  You could then argue, "So you are saying he is a third down back?"  No.  However, I am saying it would be ideal if he was not subject to the pounding he would get running between the tackles on a regular basis as a rookie.  When he gets stronger and more familiar with the NFL defenses, maybe?

I feel better about it now that the OL is a bit better and he could have a blocking FB...

Agree. He may have tge skills to di all these things but are we tryimg to wear him out in 2 seasons? 

Just now, csx said:

True. I dont have a tin of confidence in CAPs future here but trying to find some logical arguments for the possibility 

And it is a good discussion.  Let's face it, McCaffrey faced 7 and 8-men in the box a lot.  But it was the PAC10, not known for ground and pound games.  He was effective behind zone blocking and he found his holes and shot through them..Will those holes be there in the NFL?  Some, but I have no idea.

Stewart, CMC, CAP/Fozzy, Curtis Samuel as an emergency back 

CAP will probably make it over Fozzy just because he is more akin to Stewart than Fozzy is but he probably has no business making it. Nothing against the guy he just isn't very good. 

Stepping back, the Panthers seem to like Fozzy better than CAP, so it is an uphill battle for him.  But, as JI points out, this is not last year's offense.  We have better personnel at skill positions.  I will say that the day after the draft, I thought, "This diminishes the need for Fozzy."  McCaffrey threatens Fozzy a bit more than he threatens CAP, and Samuel could add to that sentiment.

26 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Didn't he start a game LY?...when he got his chance he didn't show much

3 starts. One of them 2 tds and 4.7 ypc  is pretty good. The others weren't too impressive though

Archived