• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Cameron Artis-Payne

Jeremy Igo

Looks like the topic of Cameron Artis-Payne came up in the roster thread. I feel like it deserves an objective look in its own thread. 

Here is what Cameron Artis-Payne did in 2016. 

Week 3 - 12 attempts - 47 yards

Week 4 - 6 attempts - 12 yards

Week 5 - 18 attempts - 85 yards

The rest of the weeks he was inactive.

He was only ever active when Jonathan Stewart was inactive. 

He was inactive when Stewart was not 100%. 

So, does averaging 12 attempts when Stewart is out mean that CAP is the clear cut starter behind Stewart? 

Do you think CAP should be considered a lock to make the team this year? 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looks like the topic of Cameron Artis-Payne came up in the roster thread. I feel like it deserves an objective look in its own thread. 

Here is what Cameron Artis-Payne did in 2016. 

Week 3 - 12 attempts - 47 yards

Week 4 - 6 attempts - 12 yards

Week 5 - 18 attempts - 85 yards

The rest of the weeks he was inactive.

He was only ever active when Jonathan Stewart was inactive. 

He was inactive when Stewart was not 100%. 

So, does averaging 12 attempts when Stewart is out mean that CAP is the clear cut starter behind Stewart? 

Do you think CAP should be considered a lock to make the team this year? 

He wasn't clear cut starter behind Stew even before McC.

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

How many of those yards were accumulated by recovering his own fumbles?

Kidding, of course, but when I hear CAP, I think "ball security" not "4 yards per carry".

He has fumbled one single time.

I don't think he's a lock. However if Fozzie is expendable then of the current guys I suppose he makes it. 

At this point, who knows? It seems like Fozzy is a coach favorite, so that doesn't bode well for CAP. The only way that I see him making the roster is if he can play himself on to it, but I don't believe that Rivera actually lets true competition rule the day. 

I think that blocking will play a part.

At worse, PS. At best, inactive.

4 minutes ago, csx said:

He has fumbled one single time.

I don't think he's a lock. However if Fozzie is expendable then of the current guys I suppose he makes it. 

He has that reputation, deserved or not, based on a fumble in the preseason--.  He has had ZERO fumbles in the regular season, but has played in only 10 games.

I was joking, of course, but I am not sure the sarcasm came through.  He averages 4 yards per carry on limited carries.  That is what we should be focused on.. 

And I agree with you--what is it that Fozzy gives us that McCaffrey does not?  What is it that he offers us that Samuel could not move to the backfield and give us?  Who is Stewart's backup? 

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I really can't say that Stew's legit backup or heir apparent is on the roster. 

CAP seems to be just a guy---the default, safe option if calamity strikes. 

That's typically what backups are 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Is there any reason not to think CMC could be a better between the tackles runner than CAP?

There is every reason to believe it from watching video. CMC has markedly greater vision, quickness, patience, and a mean jump-cut that may get him to the open hole and ultimately in open space a lot faster.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Is there any reason not to think CMC could be a better between the tackles runner than CAP?

I think he could be but if they build an offense that relies on having both (stewart and Mccaffery) on the field it  could be in CAPs favour. 

Reason I think he will be is
CMC came out of a system that was a between the tackles runner. A large % of his carries were between the tackles. Kid has some of the best vision for a RB I have seen come out in a while.

CAP came out of a spread system where you rarely have to block. A large chunk of your runs are off zone reads etc. Just avg speed and quickness. Lacks the vision and patients finding the hole.

My question is are we just going ahead and pushing off CAP and assume Fozzy is going to be the one we keep? Fizzy has looked better the last 2 seasons. CAP is more physical. With CMC how many APY RBs are we going to keep. Maybe this is the year CAP shows he is actually worth a spot. Maybe he finally gets past that learning curve coming out of one of those spread systems he has been way behind coming in, in terms of blocking and watching/reading your blocks

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived