• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Projection - OTAs version

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, ItsPantone278 said:

Fozzy does the "dirty work" on special teams.  It's not just about being a return man.  You also have to have players who can tackle a return man.  Fozzy can be either.  He has been one of our better players in that regard and that versatility contributes to his value.  CAP has contributed 0 to special teams.

Another thing I see a lot is what happens if Stewart misses time?  Where do we get the power?  Well for one, I honestly suspect McCaffrey to be or become the primary ball carrier here.  And regardless if anything were to happen to Stewart McCaffrey would pick up that extra work and fozzy would be the spell back.  Sure Samuel could fill in as a change of pace, but I suspect his role on the team will be more than having a spare CMC.

The long and short, CAP an every down back?  More like never a down back.  He was rarely active  and didnt get much in the way of workload when Stewart did miss time.  The team could even turn to Young/Armah in the rare short yard situation where Stewart is unavailable and you don't want to use Cam or McCaffrey.  

There's a reason why whenever Stewart goes down we go to Cameron and not Fozzy

On 5/26/2017 at 7:15 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

Here it be... 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/05/26/carolina-panthers-roster/

TLDR Version....

OFFENSE (25)

Quarterbacks (3)  – Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Joe Webb. E

Running backs (3) – Jonathan Stewart, Christian McCaffrey, CAP 

Fullback (1) Darrell Young.

Offensive line (10) Matt Kalil, Andrew Norwell, Ryan Kalil, Trai Turner, Daryl Williams, Taylor Moton, Chris Scott, Tyler Larson, Amini Silatolu, Michael Oher.  

Wide Receivers (5) Kelvin Benjamin, Curtis Samuel,Devin Funchess,Fred Ross, & Byrd. 

Tight Ends (3) Greg Olsen, Scott Simonson, Alex Armah

DEFENSE (25)

Defensive line (9) Charles Johnson, Kawann Short, Star Lotulelei, Julius Peppers, Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, Daeshon Hall, Kyle Love, Wes Horton. 

Linebackers (7) Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, David Mayo, Jeremy Cash, Ben Jacobs, Ben Boulware. 

Corners (5) James Bradberry, Daryl Worley, Captain Munnerlyn, Corn Elder, Teddy Williams. 

Safeties (4) Kurt Coleman, Mike Adams, Dean Marlowe, Colin Jones.

SPECIAL TEAMS ( 3) Graham Gano, Andy Lee, JJ Jansen

Thoughts?

Dean Marlowe wins the SS job halfway through the season. 

13 hours ago, rayzor said:

you have to be able to be a significant contributor to special teams if you aren't a starter. i think the team is going to be looking for hybrid players who can line up in a couple different places and part of that is an expectation that you can do work on STs. Fozzy will get a spot over CAP for that reason. Teddy will also likely get a spot because of it....though i'm not necessarily crazy about that idea. seems to have too many moments where he's a liability. in the absence of another fringe player being able to do some decent work on special teams who can do what teddy does but better, i think we'll be stuck with him.

I'm really hoping Williams gets replaced by Shepard as a gunner. 

On 5/26/2017 at 10:49 PM, ItsPantone278 said:

Fozzy does the "dirty work" on special teams.  It's not just about being a return man.  You also have to have players who can tackle a return man.  Fozzy can be either.  He has been one of our better players in that regard and that versatility contributes to his value.  CAP has contributed 0 to special teams.

Another thing I see a lot is what happens if Stewart misses time?  Where do we get the power?  Well for one, I honestly suspect McCaffrey to be or become the primary ball carrier here.  And regardless if anything were to happen to Stewart McCaffrey would pick up that extra work and fozzy would be the spell back.  Sure Samuel could fill in as a change of pace, but I suspect his role on the team will be more than having a spare CMC.

The long and short, CAP an every down back?  More like never a down back.  He was rarely active  and didnt get much in the way of workload when Stewart did miss time.  The team could even turn to Young/Armah in the rare short yard situation where Stewart is unavailable and you don't want to use Cam or McCaffrey.  

Here y'all go with that dumb poo again like do y'all even watch the games or just come in here and talk? CAP was the STARTER whenever Stewart was inactive and we got adequate carries he performed. 

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

Here y'all go with that dumb poo again like do y'all even watch the games or just come in here and talk? CAP was the STARTER whenever Stewart was inactive and we got adequate carries he performed. 

And how much longer do you expect Stewart to be a starter anyway?  CAP played what 3 games last year?  One of which was maybe a 12 yard performance?  Then he was never active again all season.  I can't stress enough the fact the guy was inactive in games where Stewart was questionable and missing practice time all week.  This may sound like the usual dumb poo to you but I'd go with the back that can do enough to be active every game over trying to find a back up for a back up.

9 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

There is also a reason why CAP never played after the 5th game last year. The coaches lost all confidence in him. I would be shocked if the coaching staff kept him over Fozzy considering he doesn't contribute to special teams.

1 hour ago, rainwater said:

There is also a reason why CAP never played after the 5th game last year. The coaches lost all confidence in him. I would be shocked if the coaching staff kept him over Fozzy considering he doesn't contribute to special teams.

They lost confidence in him after the game he averaged 4.7 yards per carry and scored two tds??

9 hours ago, ItsPantone278 said:

And how much longer do you expect Stewart to be a starter anyway?  CAP played what 3 games last year?  One of which was maybe a 12 yard performance?  Then he was never active again all season.  I can't stress enough the fact the guy was inactive in games where Stewart was questionable and missing practice time all week.  This may sound like the usual dumb poo to you but I'd go with the back that can do enough to be active every game over trying to find a back up for a back up.

They're active at special teams!! The only other every down back is CAP.

CAP always being inactive and never getting love from the staff is worrisome, but I've never gotten a lot of the Fozzy love since he's a JAG. Drafting CMC and even Samuel (who can both do his job better than him I'd say) is worse news for Fozzy than CAP to me.  CAP isn't great, but he's the only "power" back behind Stewart. CMC cancels Fozzy out. CMC gets hurt? Samuel can do a lot of the same stuff out of the backfield.

Just don't see the value Fozzy brings anymore after the draft we just had. The staff will probably disagree with me, but if Fozzy is getting the wheel routes and screen passes instead of CMC or Samuel, shoot me now.  

On 5/28/2017 at 11:14 PM, AceBoogie said:

They lost confidence in him after the game he averaged 4.7 yards per carry and scored two tds??

Yes they did. It was well reported on last year. I appreciate you trying to use stats but clearly the coaching staff didn't feel confident in him the rest of the season.

Archived