• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Projection - OTAs version

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Norris is possible. 

Tyler Larsen played so much better than Gino last year. 

Cox is PS bound. 

Yeah, this is the one that immediately stuck out to me. I haven't seen Boulware play yet, but I have seen Norris, and think he's good enough not to give up on yet.

Agreed on Larsen far outplaying Gino.

Is Teddy so much of a factor on STs, that he'd beat out Sanchez for that last roster spot? Nobody else could challenge for it?

Not sure i'd be willing to take the chance on Marlowe making that final 53, since he's been hurt so much already. Not ready to call him injury-prone, and I'm hoping that was just a freak accident and he's 100% now, but do we take that chance being so thin at Safety depth now?

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

My thoughts:

1.FB--already stated.  Amah is versatile and we obviously like him.  I think he will be a fan favorite--

2. OL--I don't think we carry both Amini and Larsen.   I think we carry 9. Of course, it is hard to call right now because I see an open competition at RT....If Williams wins the job, we need G depth, if not, he is the RG depth. -- I think.  It could also come down to the versatility of the reserve Centers---Gradkowski or Larsen.  I like Larsen, because he is bigger and younger.  I don't think Gradkowski can play G, so Larsen could cost Amini.

3. CB looks a LOT better.  Can we finally cut Teddy?

4. S-Interesting, but it seems thin to me because I don't count Jones.  Longshot pick: Blechen makes the roster and a true "in the box" SS.  Marlowe and Coleman at FS.  Adams at SS.  If we do this, it could cost us a LB or DE on the roster.  I think Boulware to the PS is the move if you like Blechen,

1. Don't think Ben Jacobs makes the team. Boulware can do his job and is younger and cheaper.

2. We go with 5 safeties this year. LJ McCray is a good player if healthy and will make the team.

No way we keep just 5 receivers, Byrd will make it.

Coaches will go with Cap over Fozzy mainly because Cap is an every down back while Fozzy was the change of pace back 3rd down guy (which is why Cap was never active but Fozzy was) unfortunately for Fozzy the Panthers now have Samuel/McCaffrey so the panthers have no need for him.

Boulware won't make the final roster, just too raw right now and lacks athleticism, Practice Squad material for now. Plus think the coaches go with Southward over Colin, everything is solid though.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

1. Don't think Ben Jacobs makes the team. Boulware can do his job and is younger and cheaper.

2. We go with 5 safeties this year. LJ McCray is a good player if healthy and will make the team.

I am pulling for Boulware---local players become fan favorites and bring in fans.  Same goes for McCray, from Catawba College is Salisbury.  Maybe not.

I have heard McCray has a shot too.  Good post.

51 minutes ago, Kwag said:

Coaches will go with Cap over Fozzy mainly because Cap is an every down back while Fozzy was the change of pace back 3rd down guy (which is why Cap was never active but Fozzy was) unfortunately for Fozzy the Panthers now have Samuel/McCaffrey so the panthers have no need for him.

Boulware won't make the final roster, just too raw right now and lacks athleticism, Practice Squad material for now. Plus think the coaches go with Southward over Colin, everything is solid though.

II think 6 would be unusual--of course, special teams is everything when considering depth.  I like Byrd too--the forgotten man.  Imagine Byrd, Samuel, Johnson and McCaffrey on the field--lotta speed.

So neither our 6th nor 7th make the final 53 in this projection, yet people didn't even want to exchange late round picks for Pryor despite this absolutely $hitty safety situation.

I really hope Armah makes it and Butker MUST make it since Gano MUST go.

4 hours ago, Kwag said:

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Keeping fozzy over CAP would be dumb. No power back if and most likely when Stewart gets hurt. 

Fozzy does the "dirty work" on special teams.  It's not just about being a return man.  You also have to have players who can tackle a return man.  Fozzy can be either.  He has been one of our better players in that regard and that versatility contributes to his value.  CAP has contributed 0 to special teams.

Another thing I see a lot is what happens if Stewart misses time?  Where do we get the power?  Well for one, I honestly suspect McCaffrey to be or become the primary ball carrier here.  And regardless if anything were to happen to Stewart McCaffrey would pick up that extra work and fozzy would be the spell back.  Sure Samuel could fill in as a change of pace, but I suspect his role on the team will be more than having a spare CMC.

The long and short, CAP an every down back?  More like never a down back.  He was rarely active  and didnt get much in the way of workload when Stewart did miss time.  The team could even turn to Young/Armah in the rare short yard situation where Stewart is unavailable and you don't want to use Cam or McCaffrey.  

you have to be able to be a significant contributor to special teams if you aren't a starter. i think the team is going to be looking for hybrid players who can line up in a couple different places and part of that is an expectation that you can do work on STs. Fozzy will get a spot over CAP for that reason. Teddy will also likely get a spot because of it....though i'm not necessarily crazy about that idea. seems to have too many moments where he's a liability. in the absence of another fringe player being able to do some decent work on special teams who can do what teddy does but better, i think we'll be stuck with him.

Archived