• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Elder v Sanchez

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Give me the guy that can tackle. That appears to be Corn. Sanchez is more like a little Tre Boston - gambling for the splash play.

^ THIS

Splash plays are nice, but damn give me a guy who can tackle and play physical all dayyy over the occasional splash play.

Elder

Height: 5′ 10″

Weight: 183 lbs

Current team: Carolina Panthers (#35 / Cornerback) fifth round (152 overall)

Sanchez
Height: 5′ 11″
Weight: 185 lbs
Current team: Carolina Panthers (#31 / Cornerback)fifth round (141st overall)

Don't get me wrong I hope Elder becomes the next great Panthers corner,  and I'm definitely not sold on Sanchez, but what makes this guy head and shoulders above Sanchez?

1 hour ago, imminent rogaine said:

Give me the guy that can tackle. That appears to be Corn. Sanchez is more like a little Tre Boston - gambling for the splash play.

i don't remember a single play where that was the case

This time last year I remember weighing two conflicting ideologies re: Sanchez.

1) We never keep more than one nickel.
2) Gettleman never cuts draft picks.

We know which one prevailed, so it's interesting this is an either/or proposition when recent history says it could easily (or even likely) be "neither."

Now, to be fair nickel has been terribly underrepresented seeing as that's become our most-used formation on defense (last year we typically put 3 CB & 2 LB on the field vs. rostering 5 CB to 7 LB). Usually we only bring in another NB after an injury or when the starter is outright cut.

I think our staff was stuck a bit in the past, viewing nickel as essentially another backup and not seeing how important the position has become. See: lowballing Captain, signing Finnegan off the couch, cutting Bene and trying to make McClain happen, etc. Bringing Captain back is a positive sign of potential growth, and perhaps they'll buck the trend and keep one of these two (they should, though I don't think you can justify both).

Related: I've lamented our outside corner depth behind BB/DW, but recent reports suggest that Captain will see time outside if needed. This gives credence - and a potential roster spot - to a second nickel, but it'll be bucking a trend if they go that route. Would be reminiscent of when we moved Bene outside after Peanut's injury, but we'd have a young prospect to fill NB instead of Cortland Finnegan's corpse.

Now if they could just find another backup CB that isn't Teddy Williams...

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived