• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey will be offensive rookie of the year?

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Very hard to see McCaffrey and Samuel both having 700+ receiving yards . If they end up shredding it up that much through the air that's probably really good sign our offense thrived on the short passes and Cam wasn't forcing it to KB/Olsen most of the time lol. 

You said Cam threw in this senario for 4800 . 700 for McCaffrey + 800 Samuel leaves you with  3300 yards other players got . I'd say something like 

KB 1300 Olsen 700 

Funchess 800 (has a break out season for him anyway)  CJ2 650  RShepard 500 Jstew 350

giphy (7).gif

23 minutes ago, bandu said:

well how do you explain this then?

Ron Rivera has won coach of the year more than one time with Shula as an intergal part of his coaching staff.

Cam Newton won the OROY whenever Shula was his QB coach

Cam Newton won NFL MVP whenever Shula was his OC

Ted Ginn Jr. was a jag on any other team.however,in Carolina he lead the team in receiving yards as our #1 WR in 2015 whenever Shula was his OC

Greg Olsen has the best years of his career and three consecutive 1000 yard seasons whenever Shula was his OC

Mike Tolbert was a pro bowl FB year in and year out whenever Shula was his OC

Kelvin Benjamin was the first WR in franchise history to have a 1000 yard season and a 1000 yard career average whenever Shula was his OC

Yeah that's great and all but we still have had the same damn vanilla plays for the past four too five years. Run-Run-Long pass. Run-Run-Long pass. I'm praying that they truly are evolving the offense this year especially with the new weapons we have. But I will temper my expectations until proven otherwise.

Not sure... I think his impact will be RoTY material, but probably not his stats with Stew in the picture. One of the WRs will probably have a big year, and Fournette could have a Gurley-like rookie year as he'll be the focal point of that offense. Jags line needs to be better for that to happen. I wouldn't bet on McC to win it, but it's definitely a possibility and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

11 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I think we'll all be calling for Shulas head if we continue to see long pass plays on 3rd and 1 and always a run up the gut on 1st down. 

Even if the long pass is to McCaffrey and it's a McCaffrey run on 1st down?

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Even if the long pass is to McCaffrey and it's a McCaffrey run on 1st down?

It wont matter who the pass is too if its a long pass and our oline doesnt block very well. 

If its 3rd and 1 we have almost no excuse to not be either running with someone or checking down to olsen, mccaffrey, samuel 

15 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

Yeah that's great and all but we still have had the same damn vanilla plays for the past four too five years. Run-Run-Long pass. Run-Run-Long pass. I'm praying that they truly are evolving the offense this year especially with the new weapons we have. But I will temper my expectations until proven otherwise.

our run game, under shula, is considered about the most complex one in the league (at least it was in '15). i'm no fan of shula or his playcalling, but that is something that i will give him props for. if that complexity can be applied to and merged with the pass game to create confusing mismatch hybrid offense (which we have the tools for) i can see us being the most dominant offense in the league again and for a long time.

we have the ingredients and the knowledge to use them. it's up to the chef (shula) actually having the balls to put it all together and dish it out to the league that is the issue. the fire that is under him and rivera makes me believe that they will make it happen. riverboat ron can't revert back to paddleboat ron like he does annually, and as riverboat he has to be forcing shula's hand to mix it all together.

2 hours ago, ecu88 said:

For rushing yards speculation:

Jstew will surprise with a 1200 yd season

CMC will get 800 yd [700 wr yards on top of that]

Cam will get 600 yd [throw for 4800]

Samuel will get 400 yd [800 wr yards on top of that]

SBLII victory

So sayth the ECU88 so shall it come to pass.

That would be cool.  That's the most rushing yards by a team since 1978.

1 hour ago, Burnout189 said:

.i don't care what play you call whenever your oL is a trainwreck and your QB has no time to go through his reads.if you do decide to pass then your best recevier is in double coverage.then on top of that you have to leave your TE at home more often than you would like because your oL once again is a trainwreck.and why wouldn't a DC stack the box against this Carolina offense who has a limited amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

if you want to be unpredictable and more creative on the offensive side of the ball then you simply need more talent.because you can't fake out every team on every play week in and week out in the NFL...it's not Madden  or high school football we are talking about here

however,Shula still has done a remarkable job with what he has had to work with.can you even begin to imagine winning a single game much less the NFCS with Byron Bell as your LT and Nate Chandler as your RT.or what about winning the NFC championship and have the #1 offense in the league withe Ted Ginn Jr. as your #1 WR.

the proof is in the pudding that if you give Shula talent then he is one of the best in the buisness at developing them or utilizing already talented players to their fullest potential

Shula should be one of the very least of your concerns..just saying

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

not arguing or necessarily disagreeing, definition of workhorse is about to change. all purpose usage is going to be standard people use to judge. like i said, even with somewhat limited touches compared to what fournette might be getting, i think CMC will be able to turn 2 yards into 10.

I agree with you to an extent, but I think our offense, and Shula, are at it's best when we are throwing tons of misdirection and motion on every play. One of the reasons our offense was so successful in 15 was because we had one of the most elaborate and intricate rushing attacks the NFL had ever seen. 

I think in a year or two, McCafferey will be an all purpose dynamo, but this year both him and Samuel will be almost be competing for touches if they are on the field at the same time until they figure everything out. Which like I said, is a great thing for our offense because no one will know what the hell we are going to do with both of them on the field. 

Archived