• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCaffrey will be offensive rookie of the year?

Jeremy Igo

I'm selling.

Not enough touches to go around. Fournette had a chance with us to do it, but CMC isn't a workhorse like him. Too many other weapons that will cut into his production, especially with Curtis Samuel.

Having said that, I don't think it will be a bad thing/negative thing, just more indicative of how unpredictable our offense will be for opposing teams. So while he won't be getting the volume stats, putting both him and Samuel on the field together will have a significant impact on our offense and they will play well off of each other and together will have a stellar rookie year combined. 

I'm selling.
Not enough touches to go around. Fournette had a chance with us to do it, but CMC isn't a workhorse like him. Too many other weapons that will cut into his production, especially with Curtis Samuel.
Having said that, I don't think it will be a bad thing/negative thing, just more indicative of how unpredictable our offense will be for opposing teams. So while he won't be getting the volume stats, putting both him and Samuel on the field together will have a significant impact on our offense and they will play well off of each other and together will have a stellar rookie year combined. 

This sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

They made a good point, if the Panthers are trying to give Samuel and Stew alot of time as well its hard to see mccaffrey accumulating ROTY numbers  . ESPECIALLY if stewart stays healthy the whole season, McCaffrey might be just spelling him and splitting time in the slot with Samuel who knows. Hard to say right now.

1 hour ago, Burnout189 said:

I'm skeptical of this because it will still be Shula designing and calling the plays, but, I hope I am wrong.

well how do you explain this then?

Ron Rivera has won coach of the year more than one time with Shula as an intergal part of his coaching staff.

Cam Newton won the OROY whenever Shula was his QB coach

Cam Newton won NFL MVP whenever Shula was his OC

Ted Ginn Jr. was a jag on any other team.however,in Carolina he lead the team in receiving yards as our #1 WR in 2015 whenever Shula was his OC

Greg Olsen has the best years of his career and three consecutive 1000 yard seasons whenever Shula was his OC

Mike Tolbert was a pro bowl FB year in and year out whenever Shula was his OC

Kelvin Benjamin was the first WR in franchise history to have a 1000 yard season and a 1000 yard career average whenever Shula was his OC

i think it will be a case of doing much with little in the way of opportunities and the way he gets it done.

the dude is lightning in a bottle. same with samuel. i suspect that both guys might be in the discussion at some point.

of course there might be a bit of optimism and homerism coming back, but i think that CMC and samuel are the two most exciting players in this draft (or at least have the potential to be).

49 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'm selling.

not arguing or necessarily disagreeing, definition of workhorse is about to change. all purpose usage is going to be standard people use to judge. like i said, even with somewhat limited touches compared to what fournette might be getting, i think CMC will be able to turn 2 yards into 10.

1 hour ago, ecu88 said:

For rushing yards speculation:

Jstew will surprise with a 1200 yd season

CMC will get 800 yd [700 wr yards on top of that]

Cam will get 600 yd [throw for 4800]

Samuel will get 400 yd [800 wr yards on top of that]

SBLII victory

So sayth the ECU88 so shall it come to pass.

Very hard to see McCaffrey and Samuel both having 700+ receiving yards . If they end up shredding it up that much through the air that's probably really good sign our offense thrived on the short passes and Cam wasn't forcing it to KB/Olsen most of the time lol. 

You said Cam threw in this senario for 4800 . 700 for McCaffrey + 800 Samuel leaves you with  3300 yards other players got . I'd say something like 

KB 1300 Olsen 700 

Funchess 800 (has a break out season for him anyway)  CJ2 650  RShepard 500 Jstew 350

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

not arguing or necessarily disagreeing, definition of workhorse is about to change. all purpose usage is going to be standard people use to judge. like i said, even with somewhat limited touches compared to what fournette might be getting, i think CMC will be able to turn 2 yards into 10.

If we use McCaffrey anything like the patriots use James White, he could end up racking up a poo ton of receiving yards in addition to normal rush yards. McCaffrey is a good RB but a great short yardage receiver, I hope the team uses him alot in passing even though they drafted samuel . 

I'm not sure how much the Panthers will use him on PR/KR since he's such a high draft pick you dont want him getting hurt on special teams. I'm guessing he's going to be doing one or the other not both, probably at some PR and have Samuel for kick returns? who knows. 

Just now, Hoenheim said:

If we use McCaffrey anything like the patriots use James White, he could end up racking up a poo ton of receiving yards in addition to normal rush yards. 

I'm not sure how much the Panthers will use him on PR/KR since he's such a high draft pick you dont want him getting hurt on special teams. I'm guessing he's going to be doing one or the other not both, probably at some PR and have Samuel for kick returns? who knows. 

my understanding is that CMC will be the PR guy and samuel the KR guy.

i expect the offense will be looking quite a bit different as well. it's evolve or die for not just shula but rivera as well. they saw what the pats did to perhaps our toughest rival in their biggest game and want to be able to do that. pats drew the template for how to defeat the falcons. the difference is that cam's natural talents are going to bring some even tougher elements to the game. i can't imagine us going for the long drawn out plays that take forever to develop anymore. it's got to be fast and confusing to decipher.THAT is the evolution that has to take place.

if it doesn't, we'll be seeing a change in OC mid-season to make it happen. if, at the end of the season, it still hasn't happened we'll see rivera's head roll as well. i think shula and rivera both understand this.

Archived