• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix this roster? ((Seriously, How??))

bLACKpANTHER

After playing GM for a few weeks now, I can't seem to find the wiggle-room to improve the roster much THIS offseason. I wish we could go after some FAs but we are SO cap-strapped with these horrid contracts that It looks like we will have to wait out the bad contracts til they get more appealing to other teams OR start giving away draft picks to attach bad deals to them. Just look at my assessment of our roster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batum - $21 mil - 5 yrs
Mid value - Facilitating forward that can defend and shoot.
Moveable - Yes, teams always need an extra creator on offense.

MKG - $13 mil - 4 yrs
Low value - Solid defender with 0 ability to shoot mid range OR from 3 pt range.
Moveable - Yes, teams would love his ability to defend elite scorers coming off their bench.

Plumlee - $12.5 mil - 4 yrs
NO value - Albatros, long-term contract for an "at best" average role player.
Moveable - Almost Impossible unless tied to a 1st round pick AND/OR a decent player.

Marvin - $12.5 mil - 4 yrs
Low value - Solid all around game, decent shooter but No upside. Great locker room veteran might be his best attribute.
Moveable - Yes, but only as a secondary piece to a bigger trade.

Zeller - $12.5 mil - 5 yrs
Mid-Low value - Big man with average rim defense and doesn't shoot the 3.
Moveable - Yes, 7 footers with his athleticism are rare.

Kemba - $12 mil - 3 yrs
High value - Allstar player. Period.
Moveable - Of corse.. but we won't unless we are burning it all down.

Frank - $2.7 mil - 3 yrs
High-Mid Value - 7 footer who can shoot the 3 decent enough (.331%) and has a nice offensive game. Has some up-side.
Moveable - Yes, he is the prototypical stretch 4 in todays game. His rookie contract might be his biggest attribute though.

Lamb - $6.5 mil - 3 yrs
Low value - Unreliable 6th man scorer but can fill it up if 'locked in'.
Moveable - Yes, could sweeten the pot on a bigger deal.

Belinelli - $6.3 mil - 2 yrs
Mid-Low value - Pure mercenary shooter on a great contract.

Sessions - $6 mil - 2 yrs
Low-No value - Vet PG that can run any offense in the league. Good locker room guy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how we can keep the few pieces we actually like and still get rid of the handful we don't. I am all for moving pieces except for Kemba. I have 0% faith in Cho to make a deal to rid us of the Plumlee deal. Marvin seems like the "company man" who will retire here. I don't know if the team will ever give up on MKG and move him to another team or the bench.

So here is my "bird's eye view" move list:
- Keep our 1st round pick this year and draft a wing scorer ((deep and solid draft, if it were like last year's pool I would say trade for another Belinelli type player))
- Trade our 2nd round pick + MKG for a solid shooter, rotational player
- Move Batum to SF and let Lamb start at SG
- Replace backup PG by selling Sessions for a late draft pick or $$$. Then sign an UFA. ((Darren Collison, Brandon Jennings, Deron Williams))
- blah blah blah.. why am I doing this... we are fugged... cheers

Fire Cho. That Plumlee trade alone is a terrible choice, and it proves he will not be able to rebuild this roster. I am not sure how he stayed on after this season, but it is what it is. No hope for the future with this franchise. I cannot find any other team that has such a bad outlook for the future in the entire league. Mediocre future at best. Kemba Walker deserves better. Here is my fixes for the roster.

Batum -  Good player, and a capable starter on a good playoff team. Nothing to change really.

MKG - Trade him for a pair of Big Baller Brand shoes.

Plumlee - Anyone got a time machine?

Marvin - As a UNC fan it hurts me to say this, but why did we give Marvin that contract? No fix here. He is at best a solid bench player at this point in his career.

Zeller - Decent big man on an okay contract. Would not start on a good playoff team.

Kemba - Deserves better than what he is getting so far in his NBA career. Plays with heart every single night, and is consistent. The only star caliber player on this team. I would like to see us trade him to a team that actually knows how to build around their star players. It is sad seeing him put up the numbers he did, and still missing the playoffs.

Frank - Gained more of my respect as the season went along. He has the potential to be a great six man in the NBA. His defense may keep him from ever being a starter that can be relied upon.

Lamb - Bench player. Meh type player. He can go off, and he can be ice cold.

Belinelli - He is a shooter, and nothing more. Should only be playing spot minutes. He plays no defense, and has no ability to do anything other than shoot. Did I mention he can only shoot?

Sessions - Local guy and a solid back up. That is it.

Only players on the roster considered to be contributors on a good playoff team are as follows:

Kemba

Batum

Zeller

Frank

Marvin

The rest of the roster are deep bench players on a good playoff team, or in the case of Plumlee shouldn't even be on an NBA roster. I asked my cousin who is a huge dook fan what he thought of Miles Plumlee, and he said "You mean the Plumlee that sucks?" That was his response not even knowing we traded for him. His contract made him laugh, and it cut deep. Well, here is to another few years of sucking or being a 1st round knock out team.

I've been thinking about it and I'd personally go full NBA 2K mode and trade away everyone the team but Kemba and see what we can do. Without Kemba this year we win like 20 games top, let's see if we can't do better.

Now realistically that isn't an option, so the most likely thing we'll do is draft someone and run it back, perhaps make a trade, Cho usually (every time but the most recent) makes good trades.

There is not going to be any fixing the roster . We will likely be going all in with what weve done. Most likely scenario is we do a trade like the one mentioned above moving on from the bad plumlee contract at the cost of wherever we end up drafting even if for some reason we hit a top 3. 

Brooklyn might be the only team stupid enough AND desperate enough to get a decent pick in this year's draft..

If we get a top 3 pick = we keep it.. If it is #11, ship it to Brooklyn with a combo of Bellineli/Lamb/Sessions/Marvin and Plumlee.. Whatever Brooklyn needs to make them take that Plumlee deal off our hands..

Plumlee won't get traded this summer imo. The contract right now is just too much without any on court value to associate with it. HOWEVER, we don't really have anything to compare Plumlee's contract to as we have only gone through one free agency period with the Cap spike. Some team is going to sign a Plumlee-esque player to an absurd deal this summer that makes Plumlee's look decent. My guess is that in summer 2018, a  bench big on a 2 year deal at 12.5 per will seem like a bargain to some. We can only hope that Miles shows up and produces next year to bring back some value.

I do think, Cho makes a move of some sort this summer. My guess is that it will be via trade. I think Cody or MKG are the most likely to be moved. Just a hunch. 

1 hour ago, AppHeel said:

Plumlee won't get traded this summer imo. The contract right now is just too much without any on court value to associate with it. HOWEVER, we don't really have anything to compare Plumlee's contract to as we have only gone through one free agency period with the Cap spike. Some team is going to sign a Plumlee-esque player to an absurd deal this summer that makes Plumlee's look decent. My guess is that in summer 2018, a  bench big on a 2 year deal at 12.5 per will seem like a bargain to some. We can only hope that Miles shows up and produces next year to bring back some value.

I do think, Cho makes a move of some sort this summer. My guess is that it will be via trade. I think Cody or MKG are the most likely to be moved. Just a hunch. 

Will be very very hard to make 2 ppg and a rpg at 12.5 million a year look absurd. Is Gana Diop around? Seriously think he could outplay Plumlee.

Unfortunately there are no quick fixes for this roster. What little flexibility we had was ruined with the Plumlee trade. I will watch every game because I love the Hornets but the only way to fix this team will be a few years down the road. 

Quick Fix: Hope to God we get lucky in the lottery. 

Long Fix: Trade everybody but Kemba, Frank, MKG and Cody and start over. Why did I keep Frank, MKG and Cody?

Frank is still on his rookie contract and is developing.

Cody has developed nicely at the 5 and whether he starts or comes off the bench, his contract isn't bad for a Center. 

MKG hasn't developed but his trade value is so low, we wouldn't get much for him. Also there is a need for a strong defensive guy and his price tag isn't outrageous. 

TRADE: 

Charlotte: Brook Lopez 

Brooklyn: Jeremy Lamb + Plumlee + #11

OPTS OUT: Ramon Sessions

SIGN: Rudy gay, Darren Collison

Starters: Kemba Walker, Nic Batum, Rudy Gay, Frank Kaminsky, Brook Lopez 

Bench: Darren Collison, Marco, MKG, Marvin, Zeller

Not great but competitive each night. 40+ win team. 

Are you out of your fuggin mind?  WTF would Brooklyn take Plumlee?  That is complete nonsense. 

In my opinion Kemba is probably the only piece any team would seriously want.  The rest are all overpaid.  Cho has\continues to make sure we are completely average to below average.  As long as he is here we are screwed.

That Plumlee deal has got to be the worst trade in years. Or ever really.

Trade MKG, our Pick and a salary dump to move up for Monk. Trade one of Marvin or Lamb for Cap Relief (Plumlee ain't going anywhere unless Kemba is packaged with him) sign or draft a backup PG. Go hard at Reddick.

All I got.

I think you blow up the team. i know it sucks because kemba will most likely want to leave but if we can hold on for two years we wil be top 3 team with these moves.

Trade- mkg, plumlee. sessions We need to trade them for draft picks and cash

locks- Kemba, frank, batum, marvin.

undecided- for marco and lamb. i say keep but if good option comes trade. they both will help make losing fun as they will atleast score alot and make 3's. which will be needed to keep fans coming as we will be having a down year. as for zeller i like him as a back up but thats it.

Sign- Rudy gay. Paul George. get rim protector that can score 7 points a game. These moves will pay off in 2 years. Paul on this team now makes us a top 4 team. But if we draft correctly while losing i think we can make a come up in 2 years.

Trade everyone on the rost for scrubs and draft picks

fire cho

start completely over. 

Thats literally the only we we will ever have a chance. We will never sign any "stars" and Cho couldn't draft a decent player if he had the #1 pick. Get as many good high picks as possible over the next several years and just see what happens

Archived