• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On the Panthers defense

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Still worried about the safety depth.

Let's see, 

Kurt Coleman back at his natural position FS...

Adams is aged, but he plays faster than his age would suggest. And back to back pro bowl seasons should solidify it. And IRC, he played more snaps than any player on the Colts defense last season. 

Tre Boston and Southward were both safeties took in the '14 draft. The higher rated and drafted player is currently on the roster, thd other just signed with San Diego.

Imo, Dean Marlowe is the "gem" of the safety group (in this scheme). If he can stay healthy and actually see some playing time, I'm sure he'll ease alot of minds about our safety situation.

Brian Blechen, safety coming outta college, we converted him and Cash to LB. We have since converted Blechen back to Safety...I'm guessing Wilks sees the potential there.

LJ Mccray, if nothing else is a solid ST player as is Colin Jones. 

I don't think it's a lack of talent, I think player health is the bigger concern. 3 of the above mentioned have had injury concerns in the past.

Maybe it's blind optimism, but I think we will be ok, if we can avoid the injury bug. Worse case, we'll pick up a couple after cuts begin. 

39 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Let's see, 

Kurt Coleman back at his natural position FS...

Adams is aged, but he plays faster than his age would suggest. And back to back pro bowl seasons should solidify it. And IRC, he played more snaps than any player on the Colts defense last season. 

Tre Boston and Southward were both safeties took in the '14 draft. The higher rated and drafted player is currently on the roster, thd other just signed with San Diego.

Imo, Dean Marlowe is the "gem" of the safety group (in this scheme). If he can stay healthy and actually see some playing time, I'm sure he'll ease alot of minds about our safety situation.

Brian Blechen, safety coming outta college, we converted him and Cash to LB. We have since converted Blechen back to Safety...I'm guessing Wilks sees the potential there.

LJ Mccray, if nothing else is a solid ST player as is Colin Jones. 

I don't think it's a lack of talent, I think player health is the bigger concern. 3 of the above mentioned have had injury concerns in the past.

Maybe it's blind optimism, but I think we will be ok, if we can avoid the injury bug. Worse case, we'll pick up a couple after cuts begin. 

I'm excited for Adams-Coleman pairing at safety but Marlowe, Blechen (or Cash if we move him back to safety) are pretty much untested at the starter level. God forbid there is an injury to Adams/Coleman and our secondary looks a lot more shaky over the top.

Archived