• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On the Panthers defense

Jeremy Igo

So much talk about the Panthers "evolved" offense, not much talk about the new Wilks defense that could be even more exciting to see. When I asked Jeremy Cash if the new defense will be more aggressive his eyes lit up and he didn't hesitate to answer in the affirmative. 

Last year to start the season there was a nightmare scenario on the defense. 

- Rookie corners

- Nickel not fully recovered from injury. Adequate replacement (Leonard Johnson) would not come for weeks. Don't get me started on Zack Sanchez. 

- Ineffective defensive end play (to put it nicely)

- One pro caliber starting safety not playing his typical position. 

All this adds up to a perfect storm of suckage, The only saving grace was excellent play from Star, Luke, and Thomas. If any of those guys were not playing at a high level the defense would have been historically bad. 

Fast forward to this year

- Corners no longer rookies. Both looked solid late last season. 

- Captain Munnerlyn at nickel. Corn Elder his backup. Sanchez likely gone. 

- Peppers is back. Mario Addison will see increased time. Deshaun Hall to spell the starters. 

- Two pro caliber starting safeties! Yeah!!

Looky there, all of the biggest issues look like they could be fixed. 

Throw in Steve Wilks who is chomping at the bit to let the guys get aggressive again with less fear of the long back breaking play, and what you have there my friends is the potential to be the top defense in the league. 

giphy.gif

Damn Dirty Sanchez. Dave's WTF of 2016 draft.

I'm not sold on Worley at all. And Adams is old as dirt with nothing proven behind him. If you thought Harper was a grey beard.... .Add old DE I'm not sold its fixed yet. One wonders how much different 2016 could have been with Norman and Harper. 

Let's hope Pep truly is in his early 30s form, that plus the DT rotations could cover some sins in the back end again.

29 minutes ago, chbright said:

Damn Dirty Sanchez. Dave's WTF of 2016 draft.

I'm not sold on Worley at all. And Adams is old as dirt with nothing proven behind him. If you thought Harper was a grey beard.... .Add old DE I'm not sold its fixed yet. One wonders how much different 2016 could have been with Norman and Harper. 

Let's hope Pep truly is in his early 30s form, that plus the DT rotations could cover some sins in the back end again.

Aged like fine wine in both the case of Adams and Pep. Get drunk, my friend. 

Safety is definitely a concern, and I am hoping that the team addresses it at some point this year.  That being said, the defense should certainly start out on a higher level than it did last year.  

Btw, our defensive ends were not that bad last year.  You cannot separate the play of the DE's from the play in the secondary.  Our DE numbers got significantly better once the db's started performing on at least an adequate level.   

There still are some areas of concern 

Whoever plays opposite of Addison, Johnson and Peppers didn't show anything this past season that says they can get consistent pressure. The packers needed pass rushers and they let Peppers go for peanuts. Not a good sign 

Not sold on Worley, and Coleman was always a product of Norman. Even when he played FS last season he struggled 

And then theirs Thomas Davis decline, anyone who saw last season tape saw him struggle mightily in pass coverage.

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Safety is definitely a concern, and I am hoping that the team addresses it at some point this year.  That being said, the defense should certainly start out on a higher level than it did last year.  

Btw, our defensive ends were not that bad last year.  You cannot separate the play of the DE's from the play in the secondary.  Our DE numbers got significantly better once the db's started performing on at least an adequate level.   

I'd certainly hope they'd start out on a higher level.  Brian Hoyer and Tyrod Taylor on tap?  I mean gimme a break.

I mean the decision making from coaches was about as poor as some of the player issues you're pointing out.

Bringing in a safety that was well known for being trash in Michael Griffin was one thing, bringing him in three days before we played at Atlanta and then starting him and Colin Jones?

It'll be interesting to see Coleman when there isn't a scapegoat safety next to him. He really gets a lot of passes and maybe some of it was due to the carousel of DBs we had but I need to see a return to form.

Archived