• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Jones weighs in on Panthers season and record...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I'm seeing the classic 7-9 for us.

I honestly don't think we'll transition well with our new offensive philosophy. I expect a lot of struggles. Unless Cam becomes adequate in short passes and our boys learn how to properly pull off a screen, we're in for a chaotic start. Our defense will keep us in the game for as long as possible but in the end our new offense will set us back.

Did you see that stat where Cam was 3rd in short throw accuracy? "Cam can't throw short" is a myth that won't go away until after this season.

As always, 19-0.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I feel like it does. 

JR is done messing around. The Panthers were active in free agency and had an offensive minded draft. 

It is the playoffs this year or everyone will be sent packing, except Gettleman. 

I have seen the future and his prediction is wrong by a mile. 

Panthers will be 13-3 and NFC south Champs, #1 NFC seed, & SB champs 

Ron Rivera will expand his power in the organization once DG retires 

Ill put $100 on it if there any takers

8 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

JJ says 9-7 for the Panthers. He also gives records for all other teams here...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/10/nfl-2017-projected-team-records

He has the Panthers at 3rd in the division behind Tampa Bay and Atlanta. They miss the playoffs. 

I agree with him here:

Pivotal game: Week 8 at Buccaneers. In a tight division, Carolina needs to reassert itself as the dominant team that won the NFC South three straight times. This is the Panthers’ first divisional game, and it will be followed immediately by a visit from the Falcons. 

Also, he uses the term Blind Side which I will be teasing him about. 

If JJ's prediction is right, I believe a total coaching regime change would take place on black Monday. 

yay

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

I know this guy is from Charlotte but I never liked his writing

Way too engaged in "social issues" and seems like he is kind of radical

I always thought he was a turd

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Too engaged in social issues? Huh? That's akin to an oxymoron.

"Radical" can mean many things these days, so much so that it may ultimately mean nothing, or everything. Low key labeling...

When attempting to predict a teams record most of these "experts" make the mistake of assuming a team will pick up where they left off last year. In the NFL you have to start all over from the very beginning once training camp starts up.

Example: SI.com's 2016 Power Rankings

cardinals_150.png
1Arizona Cardinals

Save for perhaps needing another pass rusher and waiting for Tyrann Mathieu to come back from his latest knee injury, the Cardinals boast as flawless a post-draft roster as there is. Sure, they eventually have to deal with the fact that Carson Palmer goes all “Ted Striker in the cockpit” come playoff time, but this has all the makings of a 12- or 13-win team.

panthers_150.png
    2Carolina Panthers

The Panthers dropped one of the surprises of the off-season when they told Josh Norman they’d like to see other people (been there, Josh). Norman was in the Defensive Player of the Year mix for most of last season, but the defending NFC champs can overcome his absence thanks to a deep group of DTs, a remarkably athletic linebacking corps and an offense that could be even better than it was in racking up a league-best 500 points last season.

We have the Jets, Dolphins and Bills. We are 12-4 and we generally do good when we play the AFC East b/c it's such a poo division. Atlanta will tumble, the Bucs will be 9-7 but we'll still sweep them, and the Aints are still awful. People are going to talk poo but as long as we're healthy and the line is serviceable, 12-4 will happen. I still think we win in New England but somehow blow Buffalo again. MADDEN CURSE

Jonathan Jones at least gets my respect for trying to predict all 256 games.  As he wrote in the intro, it's too easy for homer beat reporters to all predict that their teams will have winning seasons.  So predicting all 256 games is the ultimate reality check.

I think the NFC South is going to be very brutal this year.  I basically am predicting a tough 3 way competition between Panthers, Atlanta & Tampa.   I think on some thread here earlier this week I predicted 10-6 for both Carolina & Atlanta, 9-7 for the Bucs and 6-10 for the Saints.

It's not going to be easy to get more than 3 or 4 wins against our divisional rivals.  I think there's quite a bit of parity and very talented offenses.  That could lower win totals even with high talent in the division.

The key for the NFC South Champs will be defenses and O-lines.  I'm pretty psyched about our D.  Not at all sure yet about our O line.  So many questions about how it will gel, who will start....

I've NOT tried to predict records for other teams or divisions yet, so I'm not yet predicting playoffs.  Need to see who our competition in the NFC looks to be.  One good thing, if I recall, is that NFC East has to play two tough divisions:  NFC West & AFC West.  So, that could limit wildcard contenders in the NFC East....

I'm not really worried about the Failcons, and expect them to be a trainwreck after 28-3, #neverforget...  Tampa Bay looks scary on paper and are the only real concern in the division I have, as of now, but they have Jameis as a QB and Koetter as a coach, lol...  Oh, and they're Tampa Bay.  The Saints had a good draft, but I still don't think they're a factor, although it's possible they could be the "surprise team" of the year that no one saw coming, if we're not careful.  

Regardless, I think with the talent we have assembled, we should be 9-7 at worst, and should make the playoffs regardless.  If Rivera does his usual "shitting of the bed" to start the season and makes it all but a formality that we miss the playoffs before the season is 3/4 of the way over, I don't think he even makes it out of the season.

My prediction is 10-6 (or better) and a playoff berth, and hopefully a Superbowl win.  If we don't make the playoffs {and win) with this roster, he should be out.

Homer-ism aside I just can't see 9 - 7. Atlanta isn't going to be the same team this year. The Superbowl loss is going to get into their heads plus the loss of both OC and DC is going to play a big part. Personally I don't see Atlanta making 9-7.

On paper Tampa Bay got better, but I'm still not sold on Winston who had 28 TD's, 18 Int's, and was sacked 35 times last year.

Just on their talent alone I'm thinking we split with Atlanta this year and sweep the rest of the NFCS

On 5/12/2017 at 6:43 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

I feel like it does. 

JR is done messing around. The Panthers were active in free agency and had an offensive minded draft. 

It is the playoffs this year or everyone will be sent packing, except Gettleman. 

If the coaches can't make the playoffs with this team, they don't deserve to be NFL coaches

Archived