• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post draft - Panthers biggest positional weakness

Jeremy Igo

Very good question.

I'll say this, the good news is the answer isn't quite as obvious in previous years.

Tackle is the biggest question mark, mainly because we don't know how Kalil and Moton will pan out. If those 2 live up to their max potential this will benefit every other starter on offense. Chemistry is a big deal and I think our offense could never really get any, due to the horrific o-line play last year. In 2015 everyone played well and I think a huge reason for it because they were having fun and their confidence was through the roof.  

So if the line can gain the confidence of Cam and the rest of the team, I expect every player will elevate their level of play from last year including Funchess and Benjamin. 

I don't get the concern's over the safety position. We upgraded it. Adams a pro bowl alternate and natural SS kills 2 birds with one stone. Moved Coleman back to FS and made Boston expendable. 

Sure our depth is lacking there but Coleman and Adams are not known to be injury prone and can/have played 90% + of defensive snaps in the past.

17 minutes ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

I don't understand how so many people are saying safety. With Coleman going back to his position, and with Adams I think we will be just fine there. Tbh I'm more concerned about CB than safety. But my biggest concerns are OT, WR, DE in decreasing order.

People are just saying safety because of the lack of proven depth, which of course wasn't what Igo asked to start with.  He asked about starters.  And if you stick to that criteria the answer would be O line.  People are simply using the thread to elaborate on the lack of depth behind Coleman and Adams.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm still thinking it is safety. Right now, I think a lot of teams are going to try and go over the top of our defense and our sophmore DBs are going to be hard pressed.

I think Coleman is going to be overworked and we may be missing Boston more by the end of September than anyone would have imagined.

We replaced Boston with a 2x Pro Bowler. He may be old but he will at least know where to be on the field and how to execute a proper tackle. Plus it moves Coleman back to the position where he made the Pro Bowl 2 years ago. I'm actually much more confident in our safety group then I was a year ago.

Post draft the biggest weakness is S, I don't even think it's debatable at this point. 

FS-

Coleman/Jones

SS-

Adams / Marlowe (aka always hurt) / Blechen (S > LB > S again)

I think this is the one are where we see someone brought in once some of the June 1st cuts, or final cuts are made. 

We are extremely thin beyond the starters, like a poster said I think we will miss Boston from a depth stand point if it remains unaddressed. 

Also the S market is VERY thin right now...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/safety/

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

Offensive Coordinator

Dude, come on; he said "players". Lets stick to just analyzing the players, for once.......

So, I'd say a real question is whether or not we have offensive players that can excel with a shitty coordinator. Or maybe depth that can handle stepping up and delivering despite bad play calls. Or maybe how our defensive ends might wear down after being on the field too long because our offensive coordinator blows.

32 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

We replaced Boston with a 2x Pro Bowler. He may be old but he will at least know where to be on the field and how to execute a proper tackle. Plus it moves Coleman back to the position where he made the Pro Bowl 2 years ago. I'm actually much more confident in our safety group then I was a year ago.

I completely agree... That said, it doesn't necessarily make it a strength. I think we are still weak there.

Depends. 

WR is fine if Funchess lives up to the hype and Benjamin takes poo seriously. 

LT is fine IF Kalil is truly healed and Oher is free and clear of his "issues"

DE is fine is the two old dogs live up to their billing

S is fine if Old Man Adams holds up. 

CB is fine if Worley and Bradberry take another step up. 

Any of these things don't happen and the position is a liability. 

The two that have the biggest boom/bust potential are SS (if Adams gets injured) and LT since there is injury risk with every player at the position. 

The problem isn't really on paper so much as it is who's going to hit the wall during the season. When you add older vets to a team it can be great if they make it through the season performing well, but they could start playing poorly and hit the wall at any point. Their bodies could fall apart at any point and they could miss a lot of games. Just as an example CJ's back could be a problem, or his hammies, or any of our other older nets could have nagging injuries. Stew, Pepp, Muscle face, ect ect.

Now I think the weakest position is Safety, and that's usually our weakest position every season. Coleman still has games where he's way out of position, and he's not a physical force tackling rbs, and he's not a ball-hawk. He's a JAG who makes mistakes. Adding grandpa Adams (36), who got his interceptions from terrible overthrows and tips, isn't going to turn things around at the position. The Panthers do this every year. They skimp on the Safety position because our system of defense can get away with it, or so they hope.

40 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

I sure hope you are right. On paper it looks that way. In reality we may have a guy that couldn't justify his wages on another team and a guy we pulled off of his couch a couple of seasons back. Coleman's been a great find and I hope we've had the same luck again.

Archived