• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post draft - Panthers biggest positional weakness

Jeremy Igo

I'm still thinking it is safety. Right now, I think a lot of teams are going to try and go over the top of our defense and our sophmore DBs are going to be hard pressed.

I think Coleman is going to be overworked and we may be missing Boston more by the end of September than anyone would have imagined.

In terms of starters? Well OT depending on the health of Oher. If Oher is healthy then we have two starting OT if not then we Only have one with potentially a rookie on the other side. DE is fine because we will use a rotation of Peppers, Johnson and Addison. 

DE has the most question marks.  Pep and CJ are the names with rotational guys backing them up is worrisome.

WR is a bit murky with KB and Funch not developing last year.  But there is still way more potential here.

OT with 2 former 1st rounders a 3rd and a 2nd rounder should be good enough.

In terms of starters?  Definitely not DE.  Of course there's some risk of injury / getting gassed in the 4th Q due to AGE.  But talent is very solid and exciting.

OT has concerns and questions.  Is Oher a starter?  Will Kalil have a career rejuvenation under Matsko and playing alongside Ryan and our strong guards?   If Oher is out of the picture entirely, then you've got 1) a guy we're trying to rejuvenate at LT and 2) a competition between an ok (but not special) 3rd year player, and a promising rookie at RT.

WR:  We've had huge turnover at this position, maybe bringing back only 2 of 6 WRs that made the roster last season (KB & Funch), and both of these guys left fans with quite a bit of a bad taste in our mouths last year.  They just weren't showing what we'd hoped for on the field.   Adding Samuel has the potential to really elevate this group because of his talent, and because of the pressure it takes off of KB, I think.  Shepard sounds very promising, but for now, haven't seen him a Panthers uni, so it's all conjecture.

All in all, I think my greatest concern is probably WR, ESPECIALLY since Cam won't be able to throw with any of these guys until training camp.  Bringing in 3 - 4 new receivers into our offense could make for a bumpy start to the season.  Cam sometimes seems to take awhile to develop chemistry / trust / timing with his WRs...  There's good potential in this group, but I just don't know how quickly the team will be able to put the pieces together and make it work.

OT is very close behind though in terms of my anxiety level, and perhaps has the potential to be a bigger problem.  If Oher is not on the roster, our depth again looks very very shaky behind Matt Kalil, himself a bit of a rehab project. 

I'm still very concerned about the DE rotation but if healthy the starters are not the biggest weakness.  Peppers more/less was the Packers D.  For the so called experts to have them over us is a joke.  

The answer is safety-the least important of all perhaps-but this is still the ultimate team game.

Just now, electricbluecats said:

For just the starters I'd go with OT or WR, a lot of unanswered questions. But overall weakest position group would be the secondary, desperately need some CB and S depth. We're a Coleman/Bradberry injury away from "positional crisis" 

Exactly. 

Depth at S is a real unknown right now, and also at CB on the outside.  Can Munnerlyn play outside if Bradberry or Worley goes down?

There is too that nagging question of depth at TE.  If Greg were ever to be unable to play we would be in a lot of trouble, though MAYBE less serious trouble this season with the addition of new offensive weapons CMC & Samuel...

In terms of just starters? which was what was actually asked by the OP

I would say OT.

You have to look at recent history.

At safety, both Coleman and Adams have played at an above average rate at some point in the past few years.

At DE, Johnson, Addison, Peppers (not sure which 2 will start) have all played well as some point in the past few years. 

At OT, Kalil really hasn't played that well in the past few years.

Seems like at DE and Safety we have an idea how the guys can or will play.  With OT we seem to be hoping.

Archived