• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Linebacker Logjam

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, UpstatePanther said:

@Jeremy Igo why are we assuming Mayo is a given?

I never saw Mayo do anything awe inspiring last year but I saw him do a lot of things consistently correct.  That is no smallaccomplishment in the NFL.  Not a super freak like TD! Luke or Shaq but does a good job.  I don't see him anywhere near a bubble.  

Right now it's this, until Boulware proves himself in preaseason and if he does then we can free up somewhere else (like only carry 4 DEs this year instead) so that we can carry 7 LBs.

SLB: Shaq Thompson - Jeremy Cash
MLB: Luke Kuechly - David Mayo
WLB: Thomas Davis - Jared Norris  

Worth noting we kept 7 LBs all of last year, even adding an eighth after Luke's injury. Not buying the "you can't stash Boulware" take as he went undrafted. I'm also not sure Cash is completely safe.

Feels like there isn't enough Norris love here, he was the biggest surprise to make the 53 last year and it's still pretty quiet on him. I certainly don't think Jacobs has the edge over him, especially after Norris already took his spot once.

But I'm not sure Norris isn't above Cash as well. Consider that Cash was back and forth between active and inactive all year, playing in exactly half the games, but was notably inactive the final three games after Jacobs was signed (even with Luke out).

Norris was basically the Cash antithesis: a lower priority prospect that surprisingly made the team and became a regular contributor. Whereas Cash was only active for 8 games, Norris was inactive for the first two but active for all 14 after that.

So over the season:

Norris: 14/16
Cash: 8/16

And after Jacobs was signed:

Norris: 4/4
Cash: 1/4
Jacobs: 4/4

New season, but it's an interesting trend.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think many are misreading Boulware.  Seems everyone wants to say he doesn't have the tools or isn't athletic enough.  And maybe he isn't the most athletic but I believe most are over looking (including 31 GMs) his instinct and desire.   Kind of reminds me a bit of Steve Smith when they kept saying he would never amount to much as a receiver.  We know how that story ended.

I say he proves he belongs on this team and will become a good backup to our LB Corps.

Talent isn't everything.  The heart and mind have to be there too.

5 hours ago, jdpanther5 said:

Worth noting we kept 7 LBs all of last year, even adding an eighth after Luke's injury. Not buying the "you can't stash Boulware" take as he went undrafted. I'm also not sure Cash is completely safe.

Good stuff. Totally forgot about that. so 7 linebackers are likely. 3 are in , 3 are out. Interesting. 

25 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think many are misreading Boulware.  Seems everyone wants to say he doesn't have the tools or isn't athletic enough.  And maybe he isn't the most athletic but I believe most are over looking (including 31 GMs) his instinct and desire.   Kind of reminds me a bit of Steve Smith when they kept saying he would never amount to much as a receiver.  We know how that story ended.

Steve Smith had insane athletic ability. 

Boulware has the drive, but lacks the physical ability. That can get you by in college, but is so much more difficult at the pro level. I am pulling for him, but he has a tough road ahead. 

7 hours ago, jdpanther5 said:

Feels like there isn't enough Norris love here, he was the biggest surprise to make the 53 last year and it's still pretty quiet on him. I certainly don't think Jacobs has the edge over him, especially after Norris already took his spot once.

But I'm not sure Norris isn't above Cash as well. Consider that Cash was back and forth between active and inactive all year, playing in exactly half the games, but was notably inactive the final three games after Jacobs was signed (even with Luke out).

Norris was basically the Cash antithesis: a lower priority prospect that surprisingly made the team and became a regular contributor. Whereas Cash was only active for 8 games, Norris was inactive for the first two but active for all 14 after that.

So over the season:

Norris: 14/16
Cash: 8/16

And after Jacobs was signed:

Norris: 4/4
Cash: 1/4
Jacobs: 4/4

New season, but it's an interesting trend.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I've warned people not to sleep on Norris all along. He was a pretty good football player in school ( ala Klein and Mayo). I don't believe he's going anywhere.

14 hours ago, MadHatter said:

Given the versatility of both Samuel and CMC, it could mean that we carry one less WR than usual and add in another area......given ST prowess of this group, it could mean 7 LB on the squad. 

Think this is very true.   We had 10 LBs on the roster this time last year too, and we ended up with 7 on the 53, so I don't think that's a stretch.

Archived