• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the imminent Atlanta "biggest choke in history" Hangover real?

Jeremy Igo

20 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

I don't see it, honestly.  They get to open with the Bears, and then play the Packers at home and the Lions on the road.  1-2 is believable, and if that happens everyone and their brother will be trotting out the hangover narrative.  But the next four games are against the AFC East, and they should win them all except the one in New England.  They will hit the middle of their season at around 4-4 and I think they finish 8-8 or 9-7.  This is a team that lost five games last year, but they got hot at the right time.  They got those 11 wins due to a string of luck and good football, and they will be good again next year.

For what it's worth, here are the records for Super Bowl losers for the past 10 years.

• 2007 Bears went from 13-3 to 7-9
  • 2008 Patriots went from 16-0 to 11-5 (Injuries, mainly)
  • 2009 Cardinals went from 9-7 to 10-6
  • 2010 Colts went from 14-2 to 10-6
  • 2011 Steelers went from 12-4 to 12-4
  • 2012 Patriots went from 13-3 to 12-4
  • 2013 49ers went from 11-4-1 to 12-4
  • 2014 Broncos went from 13-3 to 12-4
  • 2015 Seahawks went from 12-4 to 10-6
  • 2016 Panthers went from 15-1 to 6-10

I don't think the hangover is a guaranteed thing.  We just want it to be because we had one.

fug dude.  You just blew my assumption out of the water. 

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Had a chance to speak with some media types over the weekend who are pretty impartial. Helps me calibrate my own perceptions a bit. Topic of the Falcons hangover came up. I figured it may just be something Panthers folks like to imagine being real. Turns out, everyone believes it. We saw first hand the type of weird hangover a Superbowl loss brought on. Imagine the feeling being 10x worse as it has to be with the Falcons. 

Is the Falcons hangover a real thing that will definitely happen, or is it silly superstition? 

I hope they lose 14 games by an average of 3 points. That would make me very happy. However, I think they win 7-9 games this season. 

Honestly I don't know.  I say they will still get beneficial calls and general ref-nutthuggery but they could def come out flat.

Its a really long season/playoffs and then to lose the way they did has got to sting.

Heres to hoping they go 0-16.

We had to face the Broncos right off the bat, Cam got battered every week and we had injury after injury that made the Week 17 roster look foreign compared to Week 1. There was a mental impact with the SB loss but the other adversities we had to face was beyond one would expect in a typical season. I doubt the Falcons will have to go through a similar experience.

Then again, no one expected them to blow a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl. If they could do that, there's no telling how low they can go.

1 hour ago, Your GFs favorite huddler said:

I defiantly think there's some merit to it. 

I am also quite defiant about how much merit there is to the 25pt lead blowing, asshole shaped dome playing, braided belt wearing chit stains from Atlanta having a Super Bowl hangover.

Like someone else already stated, luck has so much to do with it. Last year they were insanely lucky, up until the 3rd quarter of the SuperBowl when that s*** ran out. They'll get snake bit somehow this year and I can see them dropping at least 7 games.

I don't see it, honestly.  They get to open with the Bears, and then play the Packers at home and the Lions on the road.  1-2 is believable, and if that happens everyone and their brother will be trotting out the hangover narrative.  But the next four games are against the AFC East, and they should win them all except the one in New England.  They will hit the middle of their season at around 4-4 and I think they finish 8-8 or 9-7.  This is a team that lost five games last year, but they got hot at the right time.  They got those 11 wins due to a string of luck and good football, and they will be good again next year.
For what it's worth, here are the records for Super Bowl losers for the past 10 years.
  • 2007 Bears went from 13-3 to 7-9
  • 2008 Patriots went from 16-0 to 11-5 (Injuries, mainly)
  • 2009 Cardinals went from 9-7 to 10-6
  • 2010 Colts went from 14-2 to 10-6
  • 2011 Steelers went from 12-4 to 12-4
  • 2012 Patriots went from 13-3 to 12-4
  • 2013 49ers went from 11-4-1 to 12-4
  • 2014 Broncos went from 13-3 to 12-4
  • 2015 Seahawks went from 12-4 to 10-6
  • 2016 Panthers went from 15-1 to 6-10
I don't think the hangover is a guaranteed thing.  We just want it to be because we had one.

Hey man...you get outta here with all of your useless facts!

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think they'll be a 10-11 win team, but you'll never feel like they are super bowl contenders.  Last year they went 11-5, but by December you could tell they were Super Bowl contenders especially in a down season where there weren't many good teams.  People on here were denying how good they were, but they were red hot down the stretch and it was clear as day they had a team that could make a serious run at it.  Again, this year I think they make the playoffs but you'll never feel like they're actually contenders.  I say three NFCS teams make the playoffs, and one of them wins in Atlanta as a wild card in a marginal upset in the first round of the playoffs

Actually, let me go ahead and predict my NFC Playoffs:

1. Packers (12-4)

2. Seahawks (11-5)

3. Falcons (11-5)

4. Eagles (10-6)

5. Panthers (10-6)

6. Buccaneers (9-7)

Archived