• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic expectations for Alex Armah

Jeremy Igo

I do expect to see him on the field on special teams, looks hungry and appears to have some pride on being a special teams ace. 

FB expectations:

Being that Tolbert is the guy he is replacing.  All has do do is make one block in a regular season game and he has surpassed my expectations for our fullbacks.

Anything after that is a bonus, I'll take:

Any attempt at a block

Any carry resulting in one yard or more

Any pass catch resulting in one yard or more

Any carry w/o a fumble

Any carry not giving to the FB on 3rd and long

Any attempt at a block

At one point I was very excited about Artis-Payne. I'm going to try to not get too excited about late round picks this year. That being said, he is a big dude and I really hope it pans out. Realistically, since he hasn't played the position since high school, I feel like he ends up on practice squad, we develop an offense without a FB, then we cut him next year and eliminate the position.

If he can push some guys back to open a lane for JStew or CMC and pass block he's going to be on the 53. He will start if he can catch too. If he struggles though he will hit the practice squad.

I would wonder if he will get a TE or RB spot though cause they could use either to keep him on. 

I just can't see us using a draft pick on the guy unless he offers something to the team. Why not just wait until UDFA to sign him if he is such a project. I believe he has shown he can block well enough to make the team otherwise Gettleman  wouldn't of drafted him. I guess we will see something on enough.

Like most late round picks, he probably needs to be able to contribute on special teams. Given his background, I don't see that being a problem. I give him a decent chance to make the roster, but my expectations for him this season are relatively low. I see him primarily being used in short yardage and goalline situations.

What I'd like to see happen is this kid come in an earn that draft spot by winning the battle with Young...can he do that remains to be seen. 

I can't imagine us lining up with a lead back more than 10 times in a game given how often we play from the gun, and we tend to feature 11, and 22 personnel a good bit. 

So with that in mind the question becomes 1) do you trust him enough for ten plays, and 2) who provides more ST's value, Armah, or Young?

Darrel Young is likely the closer of the two to Tolbert, but Armah seems to have a higher ceiling athletically, and is much bigger than both Tolbert and young (6'2'' / 250+). When you look back at our history (Tolbert/Broeckel era) I believe this is where you find the answer to the expectations. 

Armah, will be the FB/3rd TE/HBack hybrid, and Young will be the FB. I think we will possibly see Manhertz beat out Dickson in camp this year and play behind Olsen. 

Alternate Scenario-

Olsen/Dickson/Manhertz at TE, and Armah wins the job over the veteran FB, Young was out of the NFL all last season, and perhaps for good reason. 

Either way on Madden, Armah makes my team, and Young is a free agent #couchGM

FB is tough to evaluate. Normally GM's aren't married to 6th round guys, but FB has such low draft value that Gettleman might view him with the same enthusiasm as a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Gettleman thought enough of Armah to make him the 1st FB selected, and I think that says a lot, even if it's the 6th round.

Between offense and ST, don't be surprised if he ends up getting 20+ snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Realisticly? Makes the 53 and provides quality work.

Being a fullback isn't that hard honestly. Just run over the dude in front of you, and run/catch on occasions. Not as technical as other positions, so I don't think Armah will have a hard time adjusting.

I agree. We need a full time FB, and I think he can beat out Young, who's been around 6 yars and not done a whole lot of anything. Dave could have had any FB he wanted, and took this guy, so that's good enough for me. Plus, he was smart enough to learn 3 positions in college, so I think he can figure out how to find a guy in space to plow over.

37 minutes ago, Montsta said:

I see us using stew and cmc simultaneously in a lot of creative ways, so I don't see many plays available for a traditional fullback. 

I think you're right about that. Stew's yardage will go down this season, IMO, but the fact that he is one of the best RB's at picking up a blitz will make him more important than ever. That being said, I think Armah makes the team as a FB/h-back, and ST guy (we know that he can block and tackle).

I fully expect him to make the 53, unless he's just god awful terrible in camp. How much he's utilized depends on what exactly our offense is "evolving" into, and if his ST play is worth the active roster spot.

Archived