• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic expectations for Alex Armah

Jeremy Igo

Realisticly? Makes the 53 and provides quality work.

Being a fullback isn't that hard honestly. Just run over the dude in front of you, and run/catch on occasions. Not as technical as other positions, so I don't think Armah will have a hard time adjusting.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I think it is going to depend greatly not on how he run blocks, but how he pass protects.

A backfield that breaks from the huddle with Armah and McCaffrey in the backfield will see McCaffrey motion out into a receiver alignment, leaving Armah to protect Cam. If Armah can show he can pick up a blitzing linebacker, then he's going to make the 53 and probably get a jersey each week.

Just by how he looks, I pity the light-weight linebacker or blitzing safety that takes a hit from him. They might have to sew that guy's numbers back on his jersey afterwards.

What I love about our new rookies is that formation can be run many ways. Two back set with AA McCaffrey, two back set with Stewart McCaffrey, flex set with Dixon as the H back and McCaffrey,Samuel in the backfield with McCaffrey out wide in a jet sweep reverse... And all the read options come in to play as well. 

He'll soon be having to face off against the best lb's in the league, and a vet savvy front 4, so he's going to have a nice trial by fire in real practices. 

The reps he gets will speak volumes about his ability to retain info. Good low floor high ceiling prospect. 

I vote he makes the 53, barely, with PS the most viable outcome and domination next year when he has it all figured out. 

It'll be tough for Armah to make the 53 ahead of a guy like Darrel Young who has 6-7 years of pro experience. Couple that with the fact that Armah is transitioning into a position that he hasn't really played in a while. That being said, he's got the size and tools to be a good fullback and he will definitely be on the practice squad after camp breaks. 

It's realistic that he makes the 53 and contributes during the 2018 season

Gettleman loves to take flyers on no name guys from small schools that never pan out.  That would be a realistic expectation. Why not draft guys with actual production at a competitive level in college and make these guys a priority as UDFAs?  

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

I see us carrying 2 FBs instead of 4 RBs this year with Armah mostly on special teams and learning behind Young his first year and possibly coming in on 2 TE sets to help with blocking.

I hope not.

He can either do the job or he can't. 

If he can't, he should be on the PS or cut. No need for 2 FBs on this roster.

Me? I don't think DG spent a draft pick on a FB thinking he wasn't gonna win the job.  I think he will.

38 minutes ago, rhyslloyd said:

Gettleman loves to take flyers on no name guys from small schools that never pan out.  That would be a realistic expectation. Why not draft guys with actual production at a competitive level in college and make these guys a priority as UDFAs?  

Yeah, why doesn't he go after someone like Andrew Norwell or Jeremy Cash or Philly Brown in UDFA, you know, guys who actually did something in college?

Oh wait he did.

The last couple rounds of the draft are a crapshoot. It's dumb luck when one of them pans out. It's the perfect place to take fliers on guys who your coaches or scouts really like because they feel like they might turn into something special, because god knows the odds are against them. 

He was a 6th round pick.  If Gettleman was just taking a flier on him, he wouldn't have taken him there.  IMO, he was brought in as a legitimate FB with the expectation that once he settles into the position, he'll be our FB for years to come.  And you don't put guys you have firm future plans for on the PS...to easy to get scooped up and you can't even be certain he'll sign with your PS.

Unless he shows absolutely nothing in the preseason, he'll be on the final 53.  Gettleman clearly sees something in him, and won't want to risk losing him by cutting him and hoping he makes it to the PS.

Archived