• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic expectations for Alex Armah

Jeremy Igo

So Alex Armah is a guy that looks like a prototypical fullback but hasn't played all that much fullback on the field. If I told you that with no other information, you would assume he is camp fodder once again. 

But then if I told you that he was the Carolina Panthers 6th round pick, you might reconsider. 

So what is a reasonable expectation of Armah this year. Practice squad? Regular roster? Do you feel he even has a chance of seeing the field on offense? 

What sayeth you, Huddle. 

carolina panthers-45.jpg

I think it is going to depend greatly not on how he run blocks, but how he pass protects.

A backfield that breaks from the huddle with Armah and McCaffrey in the backfield will see McCaffrey motion out into a receiver alignment, leaving Armah to protect Cam. If Armah can show he can pick up a blitzing linebacker, then he's going to make the 53 and probably get a jersey each week.

Just by how he looks, I pity the light-weight linebacker or blitzing safety that takes a hit from him. They might have to sew that guy's numbers back on his jersey afterwards.

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I think it is going to depend greatly not on how he run blocks, but how he pass protects.

A backfield that breaks from the huddle with Armah and McCaffrey in the backfield will see McCaffrey motion out into a receiver alignment, leaving Armah to protect Cam. If Armah can show he can pick up a blitzing linebacker, then he's going to make the 53 and probably get a jersey each week.

Just by how he looks, I pity the light-weight linebacker or blitzing safety that takes a hit from him. They might have to sew that guy's numbers back on his jersey afterwards.

@Jeremy Igo

Blocking is more important since CMC & Samuels can catch out of the backfield & out wide 

With the rookies speed and short area quickness all you need is small lanes for big gains.

Blocking blocking blocking blockng 

So I can score some TDs man

CiFBRr.gif

He was very versatile in College and he is athletic. My guess would be that he adds value on Special Teams while learning the FB position. I would expect to see him on a few basic offensive sets early in the season and have an increased role as the season progresses.

7 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

Practice squad at best, he'll probably be replaced by a project tight end at some point.

Exactly what my head says and the probability is high that this is accurate. 

But dammit, it's May and my heart says this is going to be the draft gem of the year.  Brad Hoover type production at worst. 

Its a long way to August.  Gotta dream!

The fullback position isn't insanely difficult, which is why they are so dime a dozen across the league and aren't usually drafted. So I could easily see Armah being a fast learner and us keeping him over Young as our main FB. Doubt he drops to PS at any point anyways. We kept Byrd on the 53 last year and he did nothing. Armah would at least contribute on ST.

Archived