• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Boulware seems..... Determined.

Jeremy Igo

I made semblances of this comment in another thread (the way too early 53 man roster thread) but...

I think he has a shot. What I've seen of him in highlights and in big games (namely the bowl game this past year) had me giving him a spot over Jacobs and Norris...

Then I went and watched a full game back from 2015 and he was a different guy. Maybe it was who he was playing or because it was on a different stage, but he needed a lot of work.

I like his personality, though, and some of the stuff I've seen and read make me think he's all about that football life, and getting better, etc. That is the kind of guy you want on your team.

I wish him all the luck in the world in making the team, and I think he's the kind of kid that is going to work hard and do it.

Jacobs and Norris are his competition, now that Klein is gone--1 maybe 2 will make it. I pull for him too, but you have to understand that LBs in college are often filtered in the pros.  Remember UNC ILB Quan Sturdivant?  Solid college player, never played a down in the NFL.  They said he lacked the lateral agility to play.  It never really showed on the college level.  My point is this---everybody wants a player like Boulware.  Why was he NOT drafted?  Maybe he can overcome the odds.  I think he might be worth a look on the PS for a year-we will see.

3 hours ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

I don't think he has to beat out Mayo or Jacobs OR Cash. He just needs to beat out Jared Norris. Norris was an UDFA last year that made the team for special teams. He was fine on special teams, but 7 linebackers on a 53 man roster is traditional: Kuechly, Davis, Thompson, Cash, Jacobs, Mayo, Boulware. That seems completely reasonable to me. Don't forget that Klein is gone.

Norris wasn't necessarily a slouch in college either. I wouldn't count him out.

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Not that we have a bunch of slouches in our LB group. Heck there are a coaches would give their left nut to have our third stringers as their starters. Our first string is so good that it is hard to see sometimes how good their backups are. And their backups.

A fiery kid could come in and really elevate some of their work, though, as good players can sometimes be pushed to greatness and great players will rise to any challenge.

As much as I would love to see him make the 53, if he doesn't, I'm almost positive someone will snatched him before we can get him to practice squad. I think he has a shot at the 53, I'm not sold on Mayo, but I can't compare Mayo to a rookie that hasn't played a down yet, so..... we shall see, I love competition, it will always bring out the best in football players

I don't think he overtakes Mayo. His best shot is to beat out Ben Jacobs.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

The fact they cut him last year for Mayo shows they want an upgrade in that spot. Maybe he is that guy, I agree he may not come in right away and be that fill in guy but maybe next year or two when TD is gone and Shaq and Luke are the only clear starters

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

52 minutes ago, Paintballr said:

The fact they cut him last year for Mayo

Who, Jacobs?  I think Jacobs was out injured most of the season. 

Jacobs played a lot of games in 2015 on ST.  I wouldn't count him out just yet.  More experience than Norris or Cash.

Signed as a free agent (12/9) and played in four games, primarily on special teams…Recorded one special teams tackle…Spent the preseason with Carolina before being placed on injured reserve with an injured left quadriceps suffered in the final preseason game versus Pittsburgh (9/1)…Released with an injury settlement (9/4).

Played in 16 games…Recorded seven tackles and eight special teams tackles… Contributed to unit that finished in the top 10 in the NFL in total defense for the fourth consecutive year, rating sixth…POSTSEASON: Played in NFC Divisional Playoff versus Seattle (1/17), NFC Championship versus Arizona (1/24) and Super Bowl 50 versus Denver (2/7)…Recorded two special teams tackles.

Honestly I'm not that excited about this guy. There are lots of not quite athletic enough guys that love football out there. We've had them on the roster before. Passion isn't going to help him when a top tier running back has leverage. I hope he does well but I can't think of an undrafted player that has snatched headlines like this. It feels over the top.

Archived