• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early thoughts on the WR corps...

Jeremy Igo

KB, Funchess, Shepard, and Samuel are all pretty close to locks based on past accomplishments, contract, and/or draft position

After those 4:

Pick 1 to 2 of Byrd, Bersin, Ross, Garrett, or CJ

Of this group this idea that any particular one of them is more deserving then one of the others is a bit ridiculous.  None of them have really done much yet in their careers.

I hate to be "THAT GUY" (well really "THAT GAL") but I wonder if we might not end up with this group:

• Benjamin
  • Funchess
  • Samuel
  • Shepard
  • Bersin or possibly Charles Johnson

I don't really WANT Bersin to be on the roster.  It would be kind of sad if no one's been able to beat him out yet again.  But here's why I think he might just make it again.  And no it's not because of Wofford or any nude pictures of anybody...

WRs.png.e19b1b99fa8dfc73afb76d86de94e07c.png

Look at the table and consider these things.

1. Our #5 WR doesn't get many snaps, barring injury to one of the guys above him.  Sometimes inactive on game days.  So what qualities really MATTER in a #5 WR?  Special teams & depth provided.

2. Height / Experience.  What if Benjamin or Funchess goes down to injury?  Can 5'9 Byrd replace one of them?  Not so much.  Bersin, being 6'3 and knowing our playbook inside and out DOES provide excellent depth and reliability in the case of injury. 

If no one else WOWs the coaches, I honestly could see him kept on the roster.  He doesn't seem to bitch being inactive game after game, or about the occasional cut when someone else has to be activated to the roster due to an emergency at another position...

Based on game experience, I've got to think either Bersin or Johnson have the edge to be #5.

Shepard got a pretty good 3-year deal, while everyone after the top 4 are either on one-year or UDFA contracts. So, unless he completely Tiquans the off-season, I think he's in as the fourth receiver.

Charles Johnson is big but he's mainly a speed guy, doesn't use his size as much as you'd like. I still like him as a bigger deep target but I don't view him in that KB/Funch mold. I'd guess he's number five right now.

I'm not saying he'll make it, but Ross is interesting. Good size and speed similar to Johnson. Probably practice squad bound.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, jdpanther5 said:

Shepard got a pretty good 3-year deal, while everyone after the top 4 are either on one-year or UDFA contracts. So, unless he completely Tiquans the off-season, I think he's in as the fourth receiver.

Charles Johnson is big but he's mainly a speed guy, doesn't use his size as much as you'd like. I still like him as a bigger deep target but I don't view him in that KB/Funch mold. I'd guess he's number five right now.

I'm not saying he'll make it, but Ross is interesting. Good size and speed similar to Johnson. Probably practice squad bound.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Tiquan Te' kwan (v. mod. Eng.) To suck, fail to deliver, or disappoint miserably.   eg, "This restaurant Tiquans." 

10 hours ago, ecu88 said:

2017 WR corp

KB, Fun, Samuel, Shep, CJ2 and Byrd 

Ross to PS

TE fingers crossed bye bye Dickson 

Thor, Barn (big signing), Simonson

Wallace to PS

Barnidge would be huge.  If these 2 WRs step in and deliver, this offense would be incredible.   I can't wait to see this thing unfold. Camp will  be extremely interesting this year.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much... but regardless of how things shake out, we're pretty much guaranteed 2 new WRs on the roster.

Here was the week 1 roster at the start of the 2016 season.

• Benjamin, Kelvin

• Bersin, Brenton

• Brown, Philly

• Byrd, Damiere

• Funchess, Devin

• Ginn, Jr., Ted

With Samuel & Shepard (and maybe Johnson), we get some new energy at WR.  Here's hoping they can quickly build a good rapport & chemistry with Cam and get used to catching his bullets.

One of my only concerns about this season right now is Cam's shoulder and the delay before he can start throwing passes to the new guys...

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I hate to be "THAT GUY" (well really "THAT GAL") but I wonder if we might not end up with this group:

• Benjamin
  • Funchess
  • Samuel
  • Shepard
  • Bersin or possibly Charles Johnson

I don't really WANT Bersin to be on the roster.  It would be kind of sad if no one's been able to beat him out yet again.  But here's why I think he might just make it again.  And no it's not because of Wofford or any nude pictures of anybody...

WRs.png.e19b1b99fa8dfc73afb76d86de94e07c.png

Look at the table and consider these things.

1. Our #5 WR doesn't get many snaps, barring injury to one of the guys above him.  Sometimes inactive on game days.  So what qualities really MATTER in a #5 WR?  Special teams & depth provided.

2. Height / Experience.  What if Benjamin or Funchess goes down to injury?  Can 5'9 Byrd replace one of them?  Not so much.  Bersin, being 6'3 and knowing our playbook inside and out DOES provide excellent depth and reliability in the case of injury. 

If no one else WOWs the coaches, I honestly could see him kept on the roster.  He doesn't seem to bitch being inactive game after game, or about the occasional cut when someone else has to be activated to the roster due to an emergency at another position...

Based on game experience, I've got to think either Bersin or Johnson have the edge to be #5.

Great post.  Couple of points:

I often hear people talk about the last few spots on the roster can often be decided by special teams, which really isn't entirely true.  Your last few spots on your roster are usually inactive on game day. If a guy is one of your special teamers they need to be one of the 46 active on game day.  Being able to fill in at special teams helps your value, just like being able to play multiple positions but your special team starters are active.  Often our 5th receiver is inactive on game day.

Players 47-53 are usually kept for one of two reasons.  They are either young guys with potential that you don't want to expose to other teams,or cheap dependable guys that the coaches trust to know what they are doing.  Being able to fill in at multiple spots only helps these type.

Bersin by all accounts knows the playbook well, knows multiple positions, the coaches and Cam seem to trust him to do his job and he is cheap.  Also he seems to be a backup on ST.  I'm not sure why people have such a hard time understanding why the coaches keep him. 

As the 5th receiver he caught 2 passes on 6 targets last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/stats/CAR/carolina-panthers

To put that in perspective the Patriots 5th receiver had 4 receptions on 6 targets.  No wonder they win Super Bowls and we don't.

Just to check if the Pats are an exception

Pittsburgh - 6 receptions on 19 targets

Seattle - 9 receptions on 11 targets

Either way whoever we keep as the 5th receiver isn't probably going to make that big of a difference anyway.

With all of that being said I think CJ has a real chance of being the 5th receiver.  I feel like KB, Funch, Samuel, and Shepard are pretty much locks.  He seems to have the speed to run some of Ginn's old routes.  I tend to think in terms or roles for receiver not 1, 2, or 3

KB and Funch - Bigger guys, maybe not as fast as the others

Samuel and CJ the speed guys- Samuel is a lot smaller and would work more out of the slot but they might both be our deep threats. 

Shepard - I'm hoping he kind of takes over Cotchery's old role.  Maybe he becomes our #2.

I have a feeling that Ross will end up making the final 53 man roster. 

Benji

Funchess

Samuel/Shepard

Ross

CJ2

That would leave out:

Bersin

Byrd

Garrett

The only chance of a change is if someone gets hurt or traded. With Benji sounding like he's out of shape again with an offseason of no rehab or how Cam looked spreading the ball around without Benji on the field last year DG might look to make a statement by shipping him out. No inside info just a hunch! 

On 5/3/2017 at 11:15 AM, PrimeTimeHeel said:

Um didnt we just draft Samuel to be the 3rd/slot WR?

Eventually, yes. But Samuel will most likely go through some growing pains in regards to intermediate route running and release off the line. I bet he will see ~20 snaps per game and will initially be used primarily as a screen/end around type player. But he may end up like Tyreek Hill last year, who knows?

KB13, Bunchess of Funchess, Samuel, Shepherd me thinks are the "locks"

I would love to see Byrd make the main roster, but I also want to see Bersin make the roster so that I can enjoy Nero's view of the Huddle as it burns.

Archived