• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early thoughts on the WR corps...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Lasus83. said:

This is in line with my thought process.

I'm on the Byrd train, too, because of what I've seen in preseason games and when he was in college.  You just want to see a guy like him succeed.  And there is no question he has the speed to do it (4.22 IIRC).

Although I acknowledge that the top 3 are "locks"... they shouldn't be.  The WR corps showed nothing last year that should make anyone's job safe.  The players that have the best TC/Preseason should get the job.... not b/c we have some attachment to our draft picks.

I like Byrd too and I shouldn't count him out so easy 

28 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Ron mentioned him in the press conference, I think he will stick over Russel Shepard or Charles Johnson

Def think he's in the mix.  I think special teams could be the factor here--if all things equal.  I have been pulling for Byrd, and I really think it helps to have local players on the roster.  Hoover was a huge hit, and everyone wanted Armanti to work out.  Peppers, Wharton, Tolbert, Norman, Capt.,Boulware and Cash-- etc-- we have always liked the locals. 

Benjamin

Funchess

Samuel

Shepherd

Johnson/Garrett/Ross/Byrd/Bersin

Competition for that final roster spot will definitely be interesting to watch in camp and preseason. Johnson has the edge coming in. I wouldn't sleep on Ross though. He can play. Interested in Garrett's development as well. Byrd is redundant with Samuel on the team and we sure as hell better be done with Bersin so they are extreme longshots.

I don't quite get the CJ2 hype. The way I see it, his ceiling is Drew Carter and with Samuels on board, he may become expendable.

I'm higher on Shepard because he does well on routes we run and the Bucs liked him enough to try and retain him. 

I feel the same way.

He was on vikings WR group that has been in worse shape than ours and could only break the starting lineup about 6 times a year. Only put up 834 yards over 3 years on a team that had a desperate need at WR. Think he could be the odd man out.

KB, Funch, Samuel locks

Shepard has potential and a big time special teams player so a lock.

Johnson is going to battle for that last spot with Bersin (who this staff has a boner for every year) Garrett (young and has talent), and Byrd (speedster)

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Here is my WR corps:  Benjamin, Funchess, Samuel, Shepherd, Byrd, (then Johnson, Bersin, Garrett)

Smaller, shorter passes,  More speed and open-field running with fast speedsters. 

We have Olsen, will have Barnidge and Amah.   Benji and Funchess--5 big pass catchers, 3 smaller speedsters (4 if you include MCC)

1 hour ago, h0llywood said:

Im the only one on this board it appears that thinks CJ2 can be the #2 receiver, or even #1 if Benjamin goes MIA.

Johnson can ball. 

I need to see him--he had a solid 2014 and has not been that great since.  Not sure why.

2 hours ago, h0llywood said:

Im the only one on this board it appears that thinks CJ2 can be the #2 receiver, or even #1 if Benjamin goes MIA.

Johnson can ball. 

Probably. I'm not sure he makes the team...but that's just based on a hunch

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Shepard wins the WR2 job over Funchess. Everything I've heard about him says he has the potential to be a key WR in this group. They didn't go above and beyond Tampas offer just to have him play special teams.
As for Johnson,  I was playing around with the the cap calculator at Over The Cap. If we cut him, we eat all that money and don't free up any space. So with that, he is on the team.

Every receiver should have to fight for playing time this year, KB and Funchess included.

Good point on Shepard and Johnson. The contracts they were given indicate Gettleman not only plans on them making the team but also plans on them playing.

To me, WR is set... Webb is the defacto 6th receiver. I like some of these other guys, but to me the only chance of them being with the Panthers this year is on the practice squad for the ones eligible.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived