• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early thoughts on the WR corps...

Jeremy Igo

To me, it's way too early to predict anything on this front. 

Rivera being Rivera, Jeremy may be right, but I don't see CJ2 as a halfway entrenched receiver, and I'm not sold on Shepard being a legit receiver as much as a ST ace that will make the team based upon that. To that point, we may keep six receivers. If Gettleman is true to his word, then the best players will be kept irrespective of position. The thought about CMC acting in lieu of a receiver is cool and all, but may the best players stay.

One of my biggest problems with Rivera other than hanging on to certain coordinators too long is giving vets way too much leeway based upon nothing much more than simply the status quo. I get a certain amount of veteran loyalty, but if you're going to proclaim competition from the rooftops, then make it more than rhetoric. If the starters aren't getting the job done, make way for the new blood. Training camp under the Rivera regime seems little more than going through the motions with an honorable nod to competition, on the way to a predetermined outcome. That ruffles my feathers, and is quite frustrating.

Yea with McCaffrey I only see us keeping five WRs 

3- Benjamin, Funchess, Samuel (locks)

1- Shepard (semi lock- think he's going to surprise some people this year)

1- Blood bath between: Bersin, Garrett, Ross, and Charles Johnson. 

Don't be surprised when Bersin makes it and Charles Johnson does not. 

Personally I'd try to stash Ross on PS, keep Garrett and CJ #2

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Shepard wins the WR2 job over Funchess. Everything I've heard about him says he has the potential to be a key WR in this group. They didn't go above and beyond Tampas offer just to have him play special teams.

As for Johnson,  I was playing around with the the cap calculator at Over The Cap. If we cut him, we eat all that money and don't free up any space. So with that, he is on the team.

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

Yea with McCaffrey I only see us keeping five WRs 

3- Benjamin, Funchess, Samuel (locks)

1- Shepard (semi lock- think he's going to surprise some people this year)

1- Blood bath between: Bersin, Garrett, Ross, and Charles Johnson. 

Don't be surprised when Bersin makes it and Charles Johnson does not. 

Personally I'd try to stash Ross on PS, keep Garrett and CJ #2

This is in line with my thought process.

I'm on the Byrd train, too, because of what I've seen in preseason games and when he was in college.  You just want to see a guy like him succeed.  And there is no question he has the speed to do it (4.22 IIRC).

Although I acknowledge that the top 3 are "locks"... they shouldn't be.  The WR corps showed nothing last year that should make anyone's job safe.  The players that have the best TC/Preseason should get the job.... not b/c we have some attachment to our draft picks.

32 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

As for Johnson,  I was playing around with the the cap calculator at Over The Cap. If we cut him, we eat all that money and don't free up any space. So with that, he is on the team.

Something is off with that calculator because a fully guaranteed one year contract for him would be a horrible move. I'm seeing only a $325k signing bonus that we'd eat.

There's hardly any savings to cutting Funchess (368k) and Shepherd (200k) and a big chunk of dead money so I'd assume they are locks. Samuel would basically be paid to be cut when he signs so he's obviously not going anywhere. Benjamin holds value so it is hard to see him get the ax. If we're only holding 5 that leaves a free for all for that last spot with Johnson as the early favorite. 

I don't quite get the CJ2 hype. The way I see it, his ceiling is Drew Carter and with Samuels on board, he may become expendable.

I'm higher on Shepard because he does well on routes we run and the Bucs liked him enough to try and retain him. 

Archived