• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Discussion: Carolina Panthers Select OG Taylor Moton

Jeremy Igo

In the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select Taylor Moton

TRENGTHS

Big off the bus. Massive frame with good arm thickness and proportional build in his legs. Plus arm length with big hands. Starting experience at right guard and tackle. Comes off the ball with pad level. Makes concerted effort to drop hips and roll under his target at contact. Has dominant drive-blocking potential. His down blocks turn into steam-rollings. Coordinates hips and hands for maximum pop through point of contact as run blocker. Held his own against Ohio State in 2015 and smothered Illinois DE Dawuane Smoot this season. A bear with strong paws. Plays tend to end for defender once he latches on. Functional climbing to second-level target. Bull rushers won’t bully him very often.

WEAKNESSES

Will need to play with quicker hands into punch as guard. Looping, wide approach with hands toward target could open his chest to defenders. Footwork needs plenty of work. Needs choppier feet. Waist bending in run game needs correction. Content to make blocks at angles that need to be squared up. Lateral and move blocks feature inconsistent base width. Issues coming to balance before contact if block isn't right in front of him. Average body control and athleticism. Will be limited to primarily power-based schemes. Has issues with oversetting in pass pro. Can be fooled by twists.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2-3

SOURCES TELL US

"I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Fulton

BOTTOM LINE

Four-year starter for ascending Western Michigan program. Size and potential to dominate at the point of attack with pure power should make him a coveted right guard prospect. He can be a little stiff in his movements and his footwork needs plenty of work, but he's functional in both areas. Might need additional work before he is ready to take on the wily, athletic defensive tackles in the NFL, but his physical traits and power give him a chance to become a reliable NFL starter.

Great a small school OL...

Can't believe we went with three offensive picks first with how deep this freaking draft is at DB and DE.

Didn't yet grab a pass rusher, DB, or TE and that pisses me off. Hope Morton works out of course and we could still get a good pass rusher as a lot are still available but wow. It's all on Shula now.

I'm never a fan of small school offensive lineman, but I did not scout this guy at all. So I'm going to reserve judgement till then. 

I'm wondering if we see him as a guard or RT. That drastically changes how I feel about the pick. 

Needless to say: there is NO doubt in my mind Gettleman was completely dissatisfied with the team he put around Cam last year and was determined to fix that. That's a great sign. 

Archived