• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curtis Samuel speaks about being picked by the Panthers

Jeremy Igo

RE: Communication with the team about which position he will be utilized in
There are going to use me primarily as a slot receiver. That’s why they brought me in there. That’s where they thought I could help the team a lot. 

RE: Discussion by team of using him in the backfield
Yeah, they definitely told me we were going to do a little bit of that too but they have a great draft pick in Christian McCaffrey who is a terrific player. I definitely like how he plays. But you know, I’m going to be primarily in the slot but then sometimes we both can be in the backfield with Cam Newton. I feel like it’s going to be great.   

RE: Do you agree that you have a similar skill set to Christian McCaffrey and how exciting is it to be a part of a Panthers offense with its dynamic playmakers?
It’s definitely going to be a great offense. I’ve seen what McCaffrey can do. I feel like he is a terrific player. He is a great player. He can line up in the slot sometimes too. He can run the ball out of the backfield. We both can do similar things. We complement each other well. I feel like we will do a great job there and it will be a terrific time playing there. I’m excited. 

RE: His pre-draft visit
It was a great visit. I went there before I traveled somewhere else. It was a great visit. I felt comfortable there. I felt like I was home. Great coaching staff. I felt everything that they were telling me and I felt like I could definitely fit there. There is a great coaching staff that’s there. A great owner, great management, everybody who was part of the whole system. I felt like that would definitely be a great place for me. 

RE: What people are going to learn about him
Just the energy and the effort that I bring every day to practice and the weight room and what we have to do. I’m a team player. I’m there for the team. I’m not there for myself. I’m there to help someone get better and also help myself get better. 

RE: Carolina’s evolving offense and taking the pressure off of Cam Newton
They definitely talked to me about everything. Just how they want the direction the offense to have. They want a slot receiver guy who can also line up in the backfield and do multiple things. Just go into the slot and do a bunch of things there too. What they were telling me, I thought I was a perfect fit.

RE: How playing multiple positions is positive
I really believed in myself and believed in how much better I feel like I can get. Like I told everybody, I focus primarily on receiver stuff and being able to develop my game that way just because I did so much of everything. But I trust in myself. The coaching staff at the Panthers trust in me and know I am going to come in and make something happen.

RE: If he knows former Carolina and Ohio State wide receiver Corey “Philly” Brown
I spoke to him a couple of times. I definitely saw how he fit in that offense and saw him play before.

This is Shulas last shot. This offense should be lethal. We still have the massive mismatch redzone WRs but also two lightning fast, shifty playmakers and of course faithful Olsen doing everything. And on 3rd and short opposing defenses have to be aware of Cam blasting it up the middle or tossing it to CMC outside. This offense should score like mad. If they don't, Shula will be kicked to the curb no doubt 

This pick gets me even more excited about the McCaffrey pick. I was worried about how CMC would do with no spacing on our offense. Now defenses will need to have space or this guy will run right by you. 

I was slightly worried with the CMC pick, now the development of this offense is coming into focus and it's very exciting!!

1 minute ago, yasuhara2241 said:

This pick gets me even more excited about the McCaffrey pick. I was worried about how CMC would do with no spacing on our offense. Now defenses will need to have space or this guy will run right by you. 

I was slightly worried with the CMC pick, now the development of this offense is coming into focus and it's very exciting!!

I text my friend the same exact thing. Not to mention lining up in the shotgun with both these dudes in the backfield and our massive WRs outside. Mismatches everywhere 

Archived