• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fournette or McCaffrey - McCaffrey or Fournette? Not a question.

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, Lasus83. said:

Just speculation, but I'm beginning to think our 2018 1st might be in play.

1.8 + 2018 1st to get Fournette and a late day 2 pick.

DG has said that this is a special draft.

3rd round talent (especially at DB and arguably DE), is other years 1st round talent.

Using the 2018 1st let's us retain, and possibly add to, our day 1 and 2 picks.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

No way our 2018 first is in play. Gentlemen won't give up that 5th year option that comes with a 1st round pick

28 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I don't know what they would do if its Fournette vs Adams or Thomas.  Would love that problem either way.

You and me both! I would love to see what Gettleman does here.

One of the things that intrigued me the most, when asked about the drop off in talent after Garrett and Thomas at DE, he said he didn't think it was a big drop at all.

Not sure if that means he doesn't think that highly off Thomas or if he thinks higher of Barnett and or other DE's than most.

31 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

Please list the examples of Gettleman consistently finding round 2 talent with day three picks or UDFAs

Round 4 picks (2013-2016):

Kugbila (lol)

Boston (just got benched for a 36 year old)

D Williams (solid backup, might develop into a starter)

Mayo

Round 5 picks  (2013-2016):
AJ Klein

Bene Benwikere

Cameron Artis-Payne

Zach Sanchez

Round 6 picks (2013-2016):

K Barner

T Gaffney

Round 7 picks (2013-2016):

Beau Sandland

Of the 11 to

I'm all in on packaging picks after 98  to move up at some point. Really isn't even a knock on Gettleman. It's just very hard to find a player in rounds 4-7. I haven't done the research but I bet we have had more players make the roster and start from undrafted free agents than we have from picks in rounds 5-7.

2 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I'm all in on packaging picks after 98  to move up at some point. Really isn't even a knock on Gettleman. It's just very hard to find a player in rounds 4-7. I haven't done the research but I bet we have had more players make the roster and start from undrafted free agents than we have from picks in rounds 5-7.

I'd argue they shouldn't really be viewed any differently (UDFAs vs. Day 3 picks) - you just get the exclusive rights to those players you draft.

I also wouldn't write those picks off as worthless, though.  The Panthers have a real age and depth problem because they never make their late round selections.  So a lot of our roster depth are veteran cast offs from other teams.

You might not have a better than 25% chance of drafting an eventual starter with a 4th round pick.  But it's still worth taking that chance, because when you hit the pick you get a very cheap starter.  

But all things being equal, I'd rather trade away late picks than early picks.  We know he's going to trade, Gettleman can't seem to help himself.

Re: UDFAs becoming starters - I can only think of Andrew Norwell right now.  Philly counted before we let him walk for peanuts.  I don't think we have a great track record there either to be honest.  Though I'm hoping Jeremy Cash is the next Norwell.

5 minutes ago, Fournettecation said:

We got Trae Turner at pick #92 but at pick #98 we can't find an All-Pro mmmk

Lol I suppose I can't argue with that one.

Turner has also been the single best pick Gettleman has made in his career.  I would argue you shouldn't expect that to repeat, but maybe he does it.

4 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

There are really people who think CMC would be picked over LF? Yeah that's not happening. 

Well here's how I see it, or hope it goes. I think Fournette will be gone at 8 and pray we don't trade up for him. I think we'll go BPA at 8 quite possibly defense. Now if McCaffrey falls to the right spot I would then love for Getts to make a move up the board to get him where acquiring McCaffrey makes sense. 

Otherwise there's plenty of RB talent to be had in this draft in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, just not with McC's triple threat abilities. Greedily I want someone who can ignite our return teams and make the return game a factor for us for the first time in probably a decade or so.

Love your inside info, thanks a lot! Just please don't show all our cards to our competitors! With your trackrecord with regard to draft picks the last couple of years, I would not be surprised if someone from another organisation would start to pay some attention to your info..

5 minutes ago, Fournettecation said:

Turner, Norwell were both steals from where drafted. Benwikere was at least a reason we went on a late season run in 2014, Boston I guess too - D. Williams still hasn't reached ceiling which is good

That 2014 draft class really hasn't aged well.  Injuries have certainly played a part.

Hard to claim Bene as a win when we cut him last season.

Boston was the weakest part-time starter on the team and we appear desperate to replace him - that's about what you would expect from a typical 4th round pick.  Not calling that a win.

Williams - jury is still out.  But I'd say fair value for the pick to this point.  He might end up being a solid long-term starter.

Turner has been Gettleman's best pick.  Norwell his best UDFA signing.

He should probably start drafting more offensive linemen because he seems to have a knack for it.

Remmers was also incredible value.

17 minutes ago, Fournettecation said:

We got Trae Turner at pick #92 but at pick #98 we can't find an All-Pro mmmk

And Tom Brady was picked 199th! Its an argument that does not hold weight. 

So yes possible to get a good player late and even undrafted. Your odds are still better when picking higher. If you package 112,152 and 192, that puts you in the mid 70's. To me I think a guy in the mid 70's has a better chance of helping us short and long term than a combo of 3 of those later picks. Its the whole Quarter over 2 dimes argument.

You are playing the odds here. Even Gettleman admitted it becomes a crap shoot after round 3 to a degree. Said something to the effect that you are trying to find out why guys in 1-3 can't succeed. Vs 4-7 where you are just looking for a reason for optimism on why they can make it.

2 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

That 2014 draft class really hasn't aged well.  Injuries have certainly played a part.

Hard to claim Bene as a win when we cut him last season.

Boston was the weakest part-time starter on the team and we appear desperate to replace him - that's about what you would expect from a typical 4th round pick.  Not calling that a win.

Williams - jury is still out.  But I'd say fair value for the pick to this point.  He might end up being a solid long-term starter.

Turner has been Gettleman's best pick.  Norwell his best UDFA signing.

He should probably start drafting more offensive linemen because he seems to have a knack for it.

Remmers was also incredible value.

Remmers we got from Denver's practice squad so it makes since Denver was the team that took full advantage of him in only the biggest game

But. 2014 you could say was a win just by drafting Turner in the 3rd and getting Norwell UDFA that doesn't even make since for Norwell on an UDFA 

Philly Brown was the only receiver who showed up in the Super Bowl and his game against AZ was good. Brown as an UDFA is doing good, a lot of teams don't get that production out of 1-3 RD. receivers but it's the Cam factor, good QB's make avg. receivers look good, elite WR's can't look even average with a poor QB 

Archived