• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fournette or McCaffrey - McCaffrey or Fournette? Not a question.

Jeremy Igo

Trade both seconds and our first for Fournette
Gettleman still has 98, 115, 152, 192, 233 + UDFA (Gman shows he can find late round gems and UDFA gems) so losing some earlier picks doesn't mean much to Gettleman cause he can find a 2nd round talent at pick 192 or UDFA

I can tell u now that's not happening

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think the Fournette train started to lose steam when someone mentioned his lack of carries out of Shotgun. This is a valid concern and even caused me to pause of my enthusiasm on Fournette. However he's just too damn good to worry about that. He's more in the same mold of Stewart who's currently been running out of Shotgun more than any other back in play for us at 8.

McCaffrey may have run more out of Shotgun but its not his bread and butter either. If you want a back who has experience running out of a similar system, wait until later and grab Kamara or even later and grab Gallman (very under rated imo). Both of those players primarily ran out of the gun and were good at it.

Also, many dream of McCaffrey being some amazing weapon out of the slot and reduces our burden of having to find a competent WR. This simply is something I can't agree with. He caught the ball for just over 300 yards last year and I'd be willing to be 75% or more of those yards came from passes within 3 yards of the los or from behind it. 

Then the final factor that boosted McCaffrey's stock, had nothing to do with him. Dalvin Cook's character concern's and reported abuse of dogs made the huddle turn its back on him (including me). That being said if we are going based on talent alone, Cook is better than McCaffrey. 

Lastly, I want to mention the most hypocritical thing I see on here regarding these 2.

"Our o-line sucks and Shula isn't smart enough to utilize a good offensive player". Thats a cliff notes quote of what is often said around here.

If you really believe Shula is that bad and don't think our o-line will improve, then this the biggest reason of all to pass on McCaffrey. Stanford made McCaffrey the focal point of their offense and did everything they could to get him open in space and often at the cost of eliminating the threat of a pass down the field. Unless Shula changes the playbook drastically to play to his strengths much like Stanford did, then he'd be a colossal waste of pick 8. Even then he'd still be a waste.

I've been a bit torn on picking between the 2 but this all originated with the thought that Fournette would be gone.  I just really like what CMac can do but I do agree the Panthers probably take Fournette.  I don't know what they would do if its Fournette vs Adams or Thomas.  Would love that problem either way.

59 minutes ago, Fournettecation said:

Trade both seconds and our first for Fournette

Gettleman still has 98, 115, 152, 192, 233 + UDFA (Gman shows he can find late round gems and UDFA gems) so losing some earlier picks doesn't mean much to Gettleman cause he can find a 2nd round talent at pick 192 or UDFA

Please list the examples of Gettleman consistently finding round 2 talent with day three picks or UDFAs

Round 4 picks (2013-2016):

Kugbila (lol)

Boston (just got benched for a 36 year old)

D Williams (solid backup, might develop into a starter)

Mayo

Round 5 picks  (2013-2016):
AJ Klein

Bene Benwikere

Cameron Artis-Payne

Zach Sanchez

Round 6 picks (2013-2016):

K Barner

T Gaffney

Round 7 picks (2013-2016):

Beau Sandland

Of the 11 total day 3 picks Gettleman has made, a total of 6 are already off the roster.  CAP and Sanchez are unlikely to make the roster in 2017, which would push that total to 8.

His best Day 3 pick, AJ Klein, was a very solid backup who will be starting for another team next year.

It is exceedingly likely that none of these players are starters going into 2017.

Gettleman's best UDFA find is clearly Andrew Norwell.  He's done magnificently and I'd agree that he represents Round 2/3 value.  There's no evidence he can replicate that success, because none of the other UDFA signings have been impact players in Gettleman's tenure.

You don't think Gettleman believes he can find talent at 98, 115, 152, 192, 233 + UDFA ?

Just speculation, but I'm beginning to think our 2018 1st might be in play.

1.8 + 2018 1st to get Fournette and a late day 2 pick.

DG has said that this is a special draft.

3rd round talent (especially at DB and arguably DE), is other years 1st round talent.

Using the 2018 1st let's us retain, and possibly add to, our day 1 and 2 picks.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived